Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:13 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,602 times

Advertisements

Yes, Me!!!!!!! Pixie!!!! I finally went to Maine!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's only been like 2 years since I started my first post on moving to Maine LOL. Okay, so we went for labor day weekend. Didn't do as much as I would've like because our friends up there kinda wanted us all to themselves, but we did the tourist thing a bit. We stayed in So. Portland and visited (let's see if I get them all), Cape Elizabeth, Scarborough, Brunswick, Popham Beach, Yarmouth, Falmouth and of course Portland. No, no, no, I didn't get to stalk Stephen King, I'm still trying to get over that but the next trip can be for Bangor. We learned how to eat (or as I say, "de-gut") a lobsta. In fact, I ate three in a row (you gotta, you know, we're jerseyans visiting Maine for crying out loud). By my third, I was a champ, but I don't go for that whole green poop stuff in the middle, I still prefer mine served to me on a plate with a slab of steak next to it (a little surf n' turf anyone?) I met a bunch of Maina's (yes, that's how you guys sound LOL) and made some new friends. That's alright because these silly people thought I said things like dawg (dog) and wauter (water) and you's (you all, you two, etc.) and tauk (talk). Come on now, Jersey people saying things like dawg and you's, neeevvverr LOL I even met a Maina who didn't like the red sox!!!!! Unfortunately he wasn't a yankees fan, but at least he wasn't a red sox fan....whew!

Anyway, we had a blast, the kids swam in that freezing cold northern atlantic water and we didn't even need to use air conditioning once!!!! We all threw on our "Maine" sweatshirts at night and hung on the deck in sweats and sweatshirts, doesn't get better than that. We love, love, LOVE it there. My husband now agrees with me and decided we should start looking into moving. It probably won't be for at least a year to two/three by the time we get ourselves together here but I'm pretty confident we're going. Falmouth is my first choice, then maybe Yarmouth, Brunswick or Scarborough. Of course, we're going back ASAP and may find an even better place, but right now that's my order of favorites. So, once again, I'm depending on you guys to help me out with any and all advice. I'd like to know as much as I can, state laws, education, career neighborhoods, good, bad, etc. You know, the whole nine yards. I'm still attempting the court reporting thing and hopefully will prosper with some sort of transcription career up there. My husband is a contractor (pretty much general but some home contracting, pipe fitting, hot sprinkler, etc.).

All advice and info is much appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks,
Pixie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 05:22 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
I'm so glad you had a nice time . Steven Kings house has these wrought iron gates and fencing with spider webs worked into the design and bats as post tops, it's an old victorian, very unique. I have a pic somewhere if I ever get a chance to hook up the printer I'll see if I can scan it and send it to ya.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:23 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Yea Pixie! I'm glad you had a great trip! You will have a great time looking into parts of Maine to live, and then coming back for more visits to those areas--you know, is there some way you can "write off" those trips as part of moving prep, or job hunt, or hmmm.....there's got to be a way to do that!

Old 09-04-2007, 05:25 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Good for you! I'm glad you had such a great trip. Hey, I have one of those "Maine" sweatshirts! Can't wait for it to get below 70 in Texas so I can wear it a few times this year

We missed seeing Falmouth and Yarmouth altogether. Were they pretty?

Old 09-04-2007, 05:28 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Great for you Pixie!!! How great to find a new place to live. I love moving to new places....

Old 09-04-2007, 06:21 PM

145 posts, read 338,637 times
Hey girl!! I'm a brooklyn born girl who is just about as excited as you to move to Maine. The whole thing about hanging out in sweats and not even using the a/c once is exactly what I get excited about! Moving away is scary but you get used to it...heck now I look at my family..think they're nuts and vow to never live THAT close to them again. I've lived in the Atlanta metro area for 7 yrs. now and get depressed in the fall when the leaves on the trees turn and drop..all while I'm still sweating. That is not autumn to me. I can absolutely feel how crazy happy you are to be doing this and I think it's great..you can always move back one day if you think you made a mistake. Although I don't think you are, Maine is divine. I want to move tomorrow but I think I have to wait about a year or 2. I really don't know how I will make it that long but we'll see. Well Good Luck with everything......

Old 09-04-2007, 08:38 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,602 times
Elcarim, Falmouth and Yarmouth are very pretty! Falmouth is probably where we'll look into moving (if and when moving is our right choice).

Msina, my friend emailed me a couple of pictures of King's house. It rocks. I love the whole spooky gothic gates (gargoyles and spiderwebs)!! The only thing wrong is I pictured the house to be a darker color, maybe some dark clouds floating over it, you know, like one of his books. But it's definitely a kickin' house from what I saw in the pics!

Old 09-05-2007, 03:52 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Elcarim, Falmouth and Yarmouth are very pretty! Falmouth is probably where we'll look into moving (if and when moving is our right choice).

Msina, my friend emailed me a couple of pictures of King's house. It rocks. I love the whole spooky gothic gates (gargoyles and spiderwebs)!! The only thing wrong is I pictured the house to be a darker color, maybe some dark clouds floating over it, you know, like one of his books. But it's definitely a kickin' house from what I saw in the pics!
Wow it sounds like you guys were having a blast! Hmm...wonder if anyone would be so kind as to email me pics of Stephen Kings house. You guys are probably tiring of hearing this, but only 2 more days and about 9 hours until we hit the road for Maine!!!!

Pixie, you should start a thread with pics of your trip. I would love to see them and believe so would everyone else.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:58 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Wow it sounds like you guys were having a blast! Hmm...wonder if anyone would be so kind as to email me pics of Stephen Kings house. You guys are probably tiring of hearing this, but only 2 more days and about 9 hours until we hit the road for Maine!!!!

Pixie, you should start a thread with pics of your trip. I would love to see them and believe so would everyone else.
Yes! I'd love see pics, too.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:01 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
There are some real nice sections of Falmouth but what do you think about the growth on Rt 1? Alot of people around here call Falmouth, the "town that fakes a village". The post office is in Shaws for gosh sake. My in-laws were born and raised in Falmouth, live in a nice older neighborhood and they really hate it. Yarmouth, now your talking!

Having said that, Ricotts's has amazing pizza and the Family Ice Rink Center they built with a community skating area outside is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine