U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:09 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,663,176 times

Advertisements

Prices in Maine up 5.1 cents in the last week and 43.7 cents from a year ago.

Average Maine gasoline prices up 5.1 cents - Boston.com (http://articles.boston.com/2012-02-13/news/31055743_1_gasoline-prices-gallon-day-one-year - broken link)

Meanwhile national gasoline and electricity consumption has nosedived.

charles hugh smith-Weblog and Essays

Every $1 per barrel rise in oil decreases U.S. GDP by $100 billion per year and every 1 cent increase in gasoline decreases U.S. consumer disposable income by about $600 million per year.

Doesn't look good for the Maine economy right now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 PM

414 posts, read 209,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post

Average Maine gasoline prices up 5.1 cents - Boston.com (http://articles.boston.com/2012-02-13/news/31055743_1_gasoline-prices-gallon-day-one-year - broken link)

Every $1 per barrel rise in oil decreases U.S. GDP by $100 billion per year and every 1 cent increase in gasoline decreases U.S. consumer disposable income by about $600 million per year.

Doesn't look good for the Maine economy right now.
i read the charles hugh smith post via zerohedge today. i hope my drive to maine this summer doesn;t cost me more then a plane ticket would have.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:34 PM

468 posts, read 664,771 times
Quote:

At first glance, price being up while demand being down sounds pretty strange, until one recalls just how radically oil consumption is increasing in the developing world these past few years (think Chindia.)

It used to be that American gasoline consumers were the lion share of world demand. 'Not so much anymore. In a few more years, US drivers could cut their consumption by perhaps 25 percent or more and the world oil markets would barely notice.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:07 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,071,739 times
I would drive 3000 miles for your prices. Plus, you don't have all the additives. I get several miles to a gallon more when I leave CA.

I have to use my large 3/4 ton van for deliveries and it gets 15-16 mpg. My monthly gas bill stinks as much as the gas I use. I guess my large carbon footprint offsets a few Prius owners. Sorry about that.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:02 AM

885 posts, read 1,303,635 times
At least you don't have corn in your gas which many believe wears out engines much faster. Plus with all going on in Iran.....look for $5/gal or more.....

Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
At least you don't have corn in your gas which many believe wears out engines much faster. Plus with all going on in Iran.....look for $5/gal or more.....
Maine gasoline does have ethanol in it. I've noticed that when the stations switch over to their "winter blend" gasoline, which (I think) has even more ethanol in it as an oxygenator, the mpg on our vehicles immediately drops by 2-4 mpg.

Iran ... Syria ... Egypt heating up again ... Iraq unsettled. Events many thousands of miles away can really have an impact here.

Mainers on average drive more miles to work than just about any state in the country, according to the Census, so these numbers hit close to home. Even though our overall gasoline consumption is declining, the demand from elsewhere is keeping prices high, as beltrams notes. In fact, the U.S. is exporting a record amount of distilled product, mostly gasoline, because of reduced demand here and high demand overseas.

I just heard that the Red Shield plant in Old Town is involved in a bio-butanol project to turn out liquid fuel using cellulose (wood pulp). Does anyone know anything about it?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
i read the charles hugh smith post via zerohedge today. i hope my drive to maine this summer doesn;t cost me more then a plane ticket would have.
Another ZH fan! Excellent. ZeroHedge is a regular stop for me on my daily internet cruise. I recommend it highly. Many of the issues discussed there have a direct effect on what happens here in Maine.

If your gasoline travel cost goes up to more than a plane ticket, you can bet the plane ticket will also go up to cover the increase in aviation fuel prices. We have to do some serious traveling ourselves this spring, and I'm not looking forward to the fuel bill.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Another ZH fan! Excellent. ZeroHedge is a regular stop for me on my daily internet cruise. I recommend it highly. Many of the issues discussed there have a direct effect on what happens here in Maine.

If your gasoline travel cost goes up to more than a plane ticket, you can bet the plane ticket will also go up to cover the increase in aviation fuel prices. We have to do some serious traveling ourselves this spring, and I'm not looking forward to the fuel bill.
Yes sir, I've been reading ZH since it came out in 2009. I used to work in commercial litigation, and they covered a lot of the cases I worked on. I worked on a lot of MBS stuff, what a freaking mess. Some good stuff on there, though there are some commenters that need to be hit (Trav777). Other good sites: nakedcapitalism.com, calculatedriskblog.com and The Oil Drum | Discussions about Energy and Our Future.

From what I've read, one of the best numbers to watch is the export (as opposed to production) rates from the biggest producers. Keep an eye on Russia and Suadi esp. As far as production goes, USA is #3 and may move up to #1, but we consume so much that we are the biggest importer by far.

I don't think most people understand how devastating an oil crisis will be to our economy. A spike in price can drive a good economy into the toilet, when one hits in a depression, it will be UGLY.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
Yes sir, I've been reading ZH since it came out in 2009. I used to work in commercial litigation, and they covered a lot of the cases I worked on. I worked on a lot of MBS stuff, what a freaking mess. Some good stuff on there, though there are some commenters that need to be hit (Trav777). Other good sites: nakedcapitalism.com, calculatedriskblog.com and The Oil Drum | Discussions about Energy and Our Future.
Ye gods, were we separated at birth? ZH, the oil drum, and calculated risk are all in my Favorites list. Naked Capitalism would be, but I have to draw the line somewhere and ZH covers many of the same issues.

Quote:
From what I've read, one of the best numbers to watch is the export (as opposed to production) rates from the biggest producers. Keep an eye on Russia and Suadi esp.
Yep, Jeffrey Brown's Export Land Model is coming true even as we speak.
Quote:
As far as production goes, USA is #3 and may move up to #1, but we consume so much that we are the biggest importer by far.

I don't think most people understand how devastating an oil crisis will be to our economy. A spike in price can drive a good economy into the toilet, when one hits in a depression, it will be UGLY.
We saw what happened when a price spike hit during the boom times (1973, 2008). If we get another one this year, UGLY might be an understatement. The impact here in Maine would be simply awful.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Ye gods, were we separated at birth? ZH, the oil drum, and calculated risk are all in my Favorites list. Naked Capitalism would be, but I have to draw the line somewhere and ZH covers many of the same issues.

Yep, Jeffrey Brown's Export Land Model is coming true even as we speak.

We saw what happened when a price spike hit during the boom times (1973, 2008). If we get another one this year, UGLY might be an understatement. The impact here in Maine would be simply awful.
Maybe we are brothers... Save some room for me in your bunker!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine