Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:01 PM

44 posts, read 93,514 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! This is my first post, and I wanted to comment on how much fun it has been to read all of your posts-I have learned so much about Maine! My husband and I are from SE Wisconsin. He will be graduating in December with an MBA, and after that, we will hopefully be relocating within a year or so. Maine is one of the places we are tentatively looking into.We spent a week in Maine(Bar Harbor and Portland) on our honeymoon 3 years ago, and we loved it! Such beautiful country, and such clean air. Great food, too! I have a few questions, though-any answers would be greatly appreciated! 1)while in Portland, we had a very difficult time getting around. There seemed to be an amazing lack of street signs! Were we imagining things, or is that how the portland area is? 2)There might, just might be a job for my husband in Freeport. We are definitely looking for more of a country setting(2+ acres) for our little family(one 10 month old boy), but would like to be within a 20-25 minute drive to Freeport. Any suggestions? 3) I am a piano instructor-would I be able to find work? Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you for any info.

kenowheregirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 02:46 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,111,045 times
Hi! Welcome to the board

I don't live in the southern part of the state, but my experience with street signs in Portland is very similar--it seems that if you're not looking in just the right place at the right time, you miss it!

There are some great towns around Freeport MaineBrokerMan, Flycessna, and MRVphotog among others will be good resources for you.

My guess would be that you can find work as a piano instructor

Old 09-06-2007, 03:57 PM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenowheregirl View Post
1)while in Portland, we had a very difficult time getting around. There seemed to be an amazing lack of street signs! Were we imagining things, or is that how the portland area is?
You weren't imagining things, and it wasn't just Portland. Lots of Maine towns have that same problem. We were going through Lisbon the other day. Coming to a cross street, one street would have a street sign, the other wouldn't. It does make finding an address a real adventure at times.

Quote:
2)There might, just might be a job for my husband in Freeport. We are definitely looking for more of a country setting(2+ acres) for our little family(one 10 month old boy), but would like to be within a 20-25 minute drive to Freeport. Any suggestions?
About 15 minutes north of Freeport you run into a Brunswick, which is mostly a college/military town. It hugs up against Bath and Topsham. Once you leave these towns, you can be in VERY rural settings.

Freeport and Brunswick are definitely some of the more expensive areas in Maine. But both towns are on the interstate, so you can live quite a ways away and still be within easy commuting distance. Freeport gets REALLY busy in the summer months.

Before you pull up stakes and move, be sure to come for a visit. Towns I love, you may hate and vice versa. I think Brunswick and Topsham are both very nice towns, as is Freeport, but there is a lack of affordable housing in the area -- especially if you're wanting acreage. Unless money is no object, but then the sky's the limit, eh?

Bath and West Bath are okay. Definitely more working class, but coming from Washington state, if there is a "dangerous 'hood" in Bath, I ain't found it yet.

Lisbon is also a nice working class town. I've heard mixed things about the schools though.

Augusta has some very nice areas. It also has a few scary areas. The suburb of Hallowell is really nice, and the nearby town of Gardiner is also great.

I've heard that there are some nice neighborhoods in Auburn and Lewiston, but I haven't found them yet. But keep in mind that I have an inherent dislike of cities. The countryside around both towns is quite lovely though.

Quote:
3) I am a piano instructor-would I be able to find work?
Wow. No clue there. Sorry. There's definitely a big arts/music/theater vibe around Brunswick.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:11 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,723,469 times
Street signs in Portland: I do not think it is isolated to just Portland. But to be honest I haven't really noticed it before.

Freeport itself is a nice town with plenty of opportunities to live in the country. The only problem I can see is navigating the downtown summer and holiday traffic. Live on the same side of town you work

I would also consider Yarmouth, Cumberland, and Falmouth. All located between Freeport and Portland. At this point I would would research the schools and then decide which is best. You do not necissarily have to look a at a large number of areas. Those would be my choices. Cost of living goes down the further NE you go. GOOD LUCK

Old 09-06-2007, 04:23 PM

10 posts, read 24,711 times
Default Street Signs

Also I dont know how the street signs are setup in Wisconsin but here in Maine as you are driving down a road and you are looking for your turn you almost have to stop to see the road name because the signs are all backwards!!! If you are coming to a street the name you see is the road you are on!! Totally backwards from any other state I have ever been in. Other than this Maine is a great place to live! As far as finding work if you want to work you will.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:43 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,228,714 times
I agree, Maine is a very difficult place to get around in if you don't know exactly where you're going. I would recommend a GPS system which I use religiously when I travel around with buyers, it identifies all of the streets and enables you to find the best route from one place to another. Just like my Sirius Satellite Radio, I can't believe I ever drove without it!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:34 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,367,832 times
You may also want to check out the town of Durham.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:25 PM

Wow-such quick replies! I really appreciate it; now I've got a little something to work with. Thank you all!!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:27 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,254,473 times
Quote:
Hello, all! This is my first post, and I wanted to comment on how much fun it has been to read all of your posts-I have learned so much about Maine! My husband and I are from SE Wisconsin. He will be graduating in December with an MBA, and after that, we will hopefully be relocating within a year or so. Maine is one of the places we are tentatively looking into.We spent a week in Maine(Bar Harbor and Portland) on our honeymoon 3 years ago, and we loved it! Such beautiful country, and such clean air. Great food, too! I have a few questions, though-any answers would be greatly appreciated! 1)while in Portland, we had a very difficult time getting around. There seemed to be an amazing lack of street signs! Were we imagining things, or is that how the portland area is? 2)There might, just might be a job for my husband in Freeport. We are definitely looking for more of a country setting(2+ acres) for our little family(one 10 month old boy), but would like to be within a 20-25 minute drive to Freeport. Any suggestions? 3) I am a piano instructor-would I be able to find work? Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you for any info.

kenowheregirl
hiya kenow,,,ive lived in maine my whole life,,and the one place i dislike driving,,is portland,, ,,thats about the only place tho,,most other places are much better,,
if you are targeting portland,,,,to work, and looking for a home,,be sure to look at the towns of gray, poland, new gloucester, auburn (near the turnpike exit area, nice area!)
durham, is nice too, all these places are approx. 30 minutes to portland,,,
standish, windham, naples, raymond, are all very nice areas too,,a bit more pricey, but it is a buyers market!

Old 09-07-2007, 10:09 AM

About how long of a drive is Durham to Freeport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine