Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2006, 07:17 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering where to find all the stats you guys are researching. I seem to only find old figures from 2000 and 2002. I did find the FBI crime rate comparison page and it shows Portland is a level 2 for violent crime. Where we live just outside Houston we're a 5! Boy isn't that comforting?!! So your "crime rampant" areas are still much better than our back yard. On the older state rankings of better places to live and raise a family, Maine is up in the top 10 or so and we're down almost at last place - 3rd from last, I think. Also not a very promising view of my children's futures here. Crime and poverty are the way of life here. The average income of the family in our town is $15,000 annual. With us earning 45,000 a year, we're in the "upper crust" in town. And I'd gladly be at the low end of a better totem pole!

We are most drawn to the charm of the mid-coast area towns, but are wondering if it's at all feasible to think we'll find affordable housing near work for us. Any ideas? Should we consider moving further north in that state?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 09:24 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,115 times
If you need to live near to where you work, you will have to find work and then figure out if you can afford to move there. Not all job skills are needed everywhere in Maine, and a lot of times what you do is simply not needed and jobs not available.

Remember the basic arithmetic: Maine has 1,200,000 people scattered around an area the size of ALL FIVE OTHER NEW ENGLAND STATES and a smidgen of New York state thrown in. The largest number of people live in the southern most part of the state which includes Cumberland and York Counties. That is also the most expensive part of the state in which to live.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:21 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
My husband is a firefighter/EMT and can work anywhere, but not everywhere pays for the services. Some are volunteer towns only. He's researching that now to see who pays and who doesn't. And I own/operate a very lucrative home based business that I can operate from anywhere I can find a phone line and internet access, so that's always a plus.

I still laugh when I think of the total population of Maine. We're from Houston, TX where our city alone has over 2 million residents. The thought of spreading half those people over an entire state is very appealing to us!

The driving distances are not as important to us, as many around the Houston area make a 1-2 hour one way drive daily to work in town. We are 45 miles from downtown, but it takes well over an hour on a good day and nearly 2 hours between 6-9am and 4-6pm when traffic on all four corners of the city is bumper to bumper. Talk about rat race! It's really aweful. We can't wait to be able to enjoy a slower pace where we'll have time to stop and smell the seabreeze!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: