Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 03:09 PM

983 posts, read 3,598,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Gringo View Post
I have a western accent, which is almost identical to a neutral accent. The only noticeable difference is illustrated by the combinations stock/stalk, ****/caulk, and collar/caller. When I pronounce the two words in each combination they sound exactly alike (or at least extremely alike); stock, ****, and collar.
I thought in the so called "neutral" accent, those pairs are supposed to sound alike.

Btw, no need to censor ****. It has other meanings than just the vulgar one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 03:26 PM

48,131 posts, read 22,004,457 times
My accent is a bit of Maine, Massachussets, Rhode Island, Ohio, Indiana, Alabama, New Hampshire and I lived in California but can't see it did me any harm one way or t'other. If I stay too long in a Chinese resturant, I start picking up an accent.....and after traveling to Japan....I have a habit of bowing........I have never had anyone hold it against me, occassionally someone will ask out of curiosity.....what sort of an accent I have. Tucson, I think you will fit in just fine.....its more about what you say and how you say it than how you accent it.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:32 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
I have traveled all over and have picked up bits of lingering accent from every place I have been I think, plus I couple all that with a naturally lazy "R" sound. Therefore, EVERYPLACE this ol' boy goes to, I sound different. Other than a few questions of where I am from, or on the construction sites I work, an occasional "WTF did you say?" there is no problem at all being accepted. Like elston said, it is more how and what you say, than how you sound when you say it that counts.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:45 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
That was all back in the olden days! Today with TV, radio, videos (DVDs), country music and rap music, everyone - including Mainers - are bombarded with all types of accents. No way to escape it.

Why do I feel so guilty about saying this? (Too much PC indoctrination?): If you speak *English* halfway well, you will be understood anywhere in Maine. Except maybe in the few parts where they speak mostly French!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:38 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Women think western accents are cool.

I was having a conversation with a linguist who studies accents and their origins. He was having a hard time with Maine's accent. I told him I had a theory. I figure that Maine's early settlers had colds all the time. Children learned to speak from people who had colds and they thought that was how they were supposed to speak. It was just passed down from generation to generation.

Think about it next time you are speaking with somebody with a strong Maine accent. The linguist was quite taken with my theory and he wrote about it.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:21 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
The genuine Down East accent pays a large debt to our early English settlers. It survived because of our relative isolation from outside influences before the age of television and mass media. I've been told by English relatives that it bears a strong resemblance to certain regional English accents.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:39 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
I have traveled throughout the intermountain west and really didn't notice an accent. They pronounce some words differently but nothing compared to the western Maine accent.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:50 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
Western Maine has an accent?

Old 05-22-2008, 09:46 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,851 times
The only mention from downeasters in Maine about my southern appalachian accent was, "ya not from aroun' heah are ya?" To which I replied, "ah nope". Thus the conversation began, and a new friend was made.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:47 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Yes you can survive. A sense of humor helps. My West Virginia accent is much more southern than most. Someone at the IGA in Eastport asked me where I was from, and I said "two streets over, why do you ask?" After she started laughing, I told her she talked funny; and, as a matter of fact, most of the people in town talk funny.

(We get along just fine in Eastport. It helps to laugh at yourself sometimes.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine