Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 05:40 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,942 times

Advertisements

Fryburg Fair is the Big E of Maine.

Rockland Lobsterfest is cool.

Common Ground Fair is full of dead hippies.

Annual Seaplane Fly-in at Moosehead Lake just went off this weekend. Definitely a must see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 05:42 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
My son who is in Civil Air Patrol was at that fly in this weekend! He was excited to go and had a great time--hopefully next year the rest of the family will make it!

Old 09-10-2007, 06:30 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoMaine View Post
FB, I recently heard on NPR that they think these colony collapses may be related to a bee virus. Someone ground up bees from healthy hives and bees from hives that collapsed, then examined the dna of both. The found virus material in the dna goo from the unhealthy hives, but not in the successful hives.
Yes I have seen that too.

And I have seen research that 'proves' it is the effect of all these new cellphone towers.

And I have seen research that 'proves' it is mite-load.

And I have seen research that 'proves' it is GM pollen.

And I have seen research that 'proves' it is the accumulation of pesticides.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
At the CCF, fresh squeezed lemonade, fried dough, french fries, pizza, indian food, Richards version of eggmcmuffin, ice cream, fried clams, onion blossum, gyros, indian pudding. Orr Island clam chowder, the best I have ever had, Ziggy's Cheescake,. It doesn't have to be hippie food(don't have a clue what exactly that is) it just has to be from a certified organic source even the salt and pepper.

Just got the list and a bunch of longtime food vendors are dropping out.....organic food has gone thru the roof expensive. Organic cheese(4 types) is a killer for us. Only one organic cheesmaker in Maine. State of Maine Cheese up in Rockport.

We have to order the veggies in early spring with our organic farmers but when harvest come around, starts in August for them depending on the veggie, what we need and what has grown can be very diferent. 10lb zuccini squash is not all that unusual. We don't get it delivered until the night before the fair, usually harvested that morning. You let those suckers keep growing and they get huge. Sometimes we even have to get some at the stands just after you walk thru the gate.

Coffee is not allowed so everyone goes just outside the back gate where there is a coffee guy with incredible coffee. We can't use sugar in our food. The one thing that there is no hassle with....Poland Springs water, it's acceptable by MOGFA right off the shelf at Walmart.....

Fryeburg Fair is definately the Big E of Maine!

Last edited by MRVphotog; 09-10-2007 at 07:15 PM..

Old 09-10-2007, 06:52 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
I think it's global warming! Isn't that to blame for just about everything else wrong these days?

But seriously, do you think we're looking a future of limites honey supply? I'm pretty dumb regarding the bee populations - never paid much attention until they spotted the killer variety in Texas - but I'd sure miss honey if the prices start skyrocketing like our fuel supply has!

Old 09-10-2007, 07:14 PM

MRVphotog -
Thank you, I saw the list of vendors, but I did not see a list of what they offer. I was hoping that you would have a better recall than I.

Did you say that there will be only one Organic cheese maker at the fair?

At the Farmer's Market in Orono we have two every week. One just recieved a national award for her goat yogurts.

They make such wonderful cheeses, mmmmm.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I think it's global warming! Isn't that to blame for just about everything else wrong these days?

But seriously, do you think we're looking a future of limites honey supply? I'm pretty dumb regarding the bee populations - never paid much attention until they spotted the killer variety in Texas - but I'd sure miss honey if the prices start skyrocketing like our fuel supply has!
Bees really do multiply the crop production.

However not all crops require bees, and with how much is sprayed on some crops, there are some honeys that you do not want to eat.

Also they keep changing the laws about what goes into commercial honey.

In the US producers can only put a small amount of corn syrup into their honey and still label it 100% pure. However imported honey has had as much as 75% corn syrup added and still be allowed to label it 100% pure.

This is where it becomes important to have both a local beekeeper, and also a beekeeper that you trust. Local bees will have pollens from local varieties of plants, so the honey should help your allergies. And it should come from someone that you trust, so that it is 100% pure honey [meaning that it has no added corn syrup].

We still have about 5 gallons left over from the last time that I harvested honey. But I am not selling it. We use a little and we give some away to friends.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:40 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
MRVphotog -
Thank you, I saw the list of vendors, but I did not see a list of what they offer. I was hoping that you would have a better recall than I.

Did you say that there will be only one Organic cheese maker at the fair?

At the Farmer's Market in Orono we have two every week. One just recieved a national award for her goat yogurts.

They make such wonderful cheeses, mmmmm.
There is only one MOGFA certified cheesemaker in the entire state of Maine. As I mentioned the name of the company is actually State of Maine Cheese...I know....confusing name. It's right on US1 just south of Rockport. Nice retail store. Two years ago they couldn't handle all the cheese orders from the CCF vendors(we alone get about 250lbs), the garlic cheddar has been the most popular among CCF attendees. That year we were allowed to go out of state which was great as Vermont has 30 certified organic cheesemakers.

We love cheese too....the cheese you got up in Orono sounds yummy. Oh, can't believe I forgot my friend Big Al's Sausage and Onions at CCF, the funny but whacky family that sets up a white picket fence and does lamb kabobs, the bake beans folks, the list goes on forever...

Last edited by MRVphotog; 09-10-2007 at 08:50 PM..

Old 09-10-2007, 09:18 PM

I had not noticed that distinction before.

We have an organic dairy [Grassland Farm in Skowhegan], while both of our cheesemakers [Appleton Creamery Appleton Creamery award-winning artisan goat cheese and Olde Oak Farm in Orono] are not listed as organic.

I had not noticed that distinction before. We are working on our organic cert.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:39 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
When I grow veggies, I just turn the ground and plant 'em, irrigate if needed and pick 'em when they're ready. I don't use pesticides. Would that be considered "organic"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine