Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:12 AM

9 posts, read 10,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehiesl View Post
My husband and I've been in Maine 6 months and can say that if you come here for any reason, it may as well be UMaine. Great school, great community there. Jobs, yes as posters said, look in healthcare! For this you will obviously need skills related to the field, so go to school for them. Then you should be fine, although you must already know the pay scale will not be as great here as some other areas of the US (not gonna pull out statistics for all they're worth but you probably knew you wouldn't get rich in Maine).

Thanks all... seems pretty helpful.. I looked into some things about taxes and some seem to wash out with some of the taxes down here... but tha ts a whole different story. and yeah I see a lot of people saying dont expect to get rich there. But I am looking for change and a healthy one. I love the outdoors and loved it when I went up. Seems to me that some will always have a little neg. and a little pos. about their location no matter where you are. All im ready to do is say "HELLO MAINE"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 07:14 AM

Oh and atrix, if you dont mind me asking, did your daughter live on campus or off campus. I've been looking at apartments around the area and seems pretty affordable rather down here in Florida.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:59 PM

404 posts, read 777,841 times
She lives on campus now. But has already located an apartment with friends for next semester. We just got back from visiting FL and yes apts are much more affordable around Umaine. Unfortunatly most apartments are advertised on firstclass which you won't have a log in till you are registered. Craigs list is your next best bet. Most of her friends focused on Orono, Old Town or Veasie. Also rentals all leases are yearly, they don't go by semester like they used to when I lived in Gainesville....that was also a long time ago.
Remember your not used to driving in the snow so the closer to campus the better and if on the buss line better yet. Maine is a very nice change from FL. If you narrow something down and need an opinion on the neighborhood Private Message me. I know the area well.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:28 PM

393 posts, read 981,950 times
You're moving from the Deep South into the heart of Yankee Country and your family didn't disown you?

Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post
You're moving from the Deep South into the heart of Yankee Country and your family didn't disown you?

Oh trust me when I had a conversation with my family about the move. I received the typical "MAINE!! why Maine" but after telling them how I want a change and I know Maine could offer that.. They warmed up pretty quickly to the idea.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:28 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post

Ummmm........I don't know how to say this.............so I'm just going to say it..............Florida doesn't count as an "official " Southern State It's got lots of nice people though! I have a brother that lives there.... (I say this to soften the blow a bit)

Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
Ummmm........I don't know how to say this.............so I'm just going to say it..............Florida doesn't count as an "official " Southern State It's got lots of nice people though! I have a brother that lives there.... (I say this to soften the blow a bit)
Pardon my ignorance. I am from California. I usually find it amusing how folks from back East can get so excited about North and South. I would imagine that somewhere ya'll could just get over it by now.

So the Southern-mostest state is not Southern?

I guess that sort of makes sense; since in one thread I was jumped on for thinking that NJ is not a part of New England.

Who gets to decide where these imaginary lines are drawn?

It is like naming a region the 'Mid-West' when it is 1,500 miles East of the middle-of-the-West. To anyone from the West, the middle-of-the-West is Oregon, and certainly not 1,500 miles back East.

Why is driving a pickup on a dirt-road with a rifle on the rack on your way to go fishing, Southern? Anyone in any state can do it. It is not any more Southern than a corn field. Corn grows everywhere [with the noted exception of Antarctica].

You guys with your Southern and Northern are funny.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Pardon my ignorance. I am from California. I usually find it amusing how folks from back East can get so excited about North and South. I would imagine that somewhere ya'll could just get over it by now.

So the Southern-mostest state is not Southern?

I guess that sort of makes sense; since in one thread I was jumped on for thinking that NJ is not a part of New England.

Who gets to decide where these imaginary lines are drawn?

It is like naming a region the 'Mid-West' when it is 1,500 miles East of the middle-of-the-West. To anyone from the West, the middle-of-the-West is Oregon, and certainly not 1,500 miles back East.

Why is driving a pickup on a dirt-road with a rifle on the rack on your way to go fishing, Southern? Anyone in any state can do it. It is not any more Southern than a corn field. Corn grows everywhere [with the noted exception of Antarctica].

You guys with your Southern and Northern are funny.

we are funny, aren't we?

Two or three questions you'd have to ask.........

What kind of BBQ is Florida known for?

Do actors in movies do a really bad Florida accent and portray Floridians as complete idiots?

Are there an above average amount of people in small town Florida overly concerned with the war between the states and state rights, and have a "special flag" to show they care?

You'd have to answer "NO" to all three..........

(Now don't take this too seriously folks! )

The south IS more than a geographical area and you know "southern" when you see it (or hear it!) and it's NOT Florida..........

Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leotime21 View Post
Well soon enough ( two months ) Me and my wonderful girlfriend are moving to Maine. Ive looked at a lot of places saying maine has high taxes and a low quality job market. Well my question is how much should that influence my move to maine. Currently I am in college and plan to further my education in orono or surrounding cities. Preferably I would like to be around the bangor area. I have been to maine and its a beautiful state. So all in all I just wanted a take on how education might be currently? as well as other various things that I may not know about that you maineahs can share with southern guy.

Is maine worth it? thanks for any input.

Just wanted to say that we love Bangor and the surrounding areas, we've been up there twice now and hope to make our move this year. Best of luck to you!

Old 03-15-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post

GEEZ... I didnt really think saying Im coming from down south...while its more southern than NC.. and Even Georgia or Alabama.. but oh well how every you look at it I dont really mind what you call it.. Simply stating that I wasn't coming from the boondocks but rather a really south part of the states. LOL. But thank you for correcting my mis-informed southern line.

I got beat up a couple of times from some people in my inbox stating I wasnt from down south mearly florida!! lol... didnt think it was that serious guys!! I was more interested in MAINE

Thanks chaos where abouts of bangor/surrounding areas do you enjoy the most??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine