Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:54 AM

9 posts, read 10,886 times

Advertisements

Well soon enough ( two months ) Me and my wonderful girlfriend are moving to Maine. Ive looked at a lot of places saying maine has high taxes and a low quality job market. Well my question is how much should that influence my move to maine. Currently I am in college and plan to further my education in orono or surrounding cities. Preferably I would like to be around the bangor area. I have been to maine and its a beautiful state. So all in all I just wanted a take on how education might be currently? as well as other various things that I may not know about that you maineahs can share with southern guy.

Is maine worth it? thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 PM

118 posts, read 283,880 times
Most college graduates leave the state after completing their education. Maine suffers from Brain Drain to a very large degree. It's a nice place to go to school I'm a UMO graduate myself... But unless you're studying a field that is of use in maine (medical, lawyer, forestry, tourism, dentistry, plumber, electrician) Don't expect to have much of a career there. What few positions exist there are highly competitive and often you'll be apply for a single position with everyone else in your degree program who wanted to stay in Maine.

I can only speak from experience... It's a great place to go to school though. really pretty.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:51 PM

701 posts, read 1,083,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgoast View Post
Most college graduates leave the state after completing their education. Maine suffers from Brain Drain to a very large degree. It's a nice place to go to school I'm a UMO graduate myself... But unless you're studying a field that is of use in maine (medical, lawyer, forestry, tourism, dentistry, plumber, electrician) Don't expect to have much of a career there. What few positions exist there are highly competitive and often you'll be apply for a single position with everyone else in your degree program who wanted to stay in Maine.

I can only speak from experience... It's a great place to go to school though. really pretty.
I found this on the UMO website.................it doesn't sound like most grads are leaving, just some.

. 2007 survey of UMaine graduates 3 to 5 years out
Roughly the same proportion of UMaine graduates live and work in Maine three to five years after graduation as do six to twelve months after graduation (67% and 69%, respectively). The same thing is true for UMaine graduates originally from Maine: nearly three-quarters (73%) live and work in Maine three to five years after graduation. If a UMaine graduate begins working in Maine within a year after graduating, there is an 84% chance they will remain in Maine a few years later (and an 85% chance for graduates originallyfrom Maine). Further, of UMaine graduates who initially leave the state to live and work, approximately 38% return to Maine three to five years later.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:27 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
I found this on the UMO website.................it doesn't sound like most grads are leaving, just some.

Roughly the same proportion of UMaine graduates live and work in Maine three to five years after graduation as do six to twelve months after graduation (67% and 69%, respectively). The same thing is true for UMaine graduates originally from Maine: nearly three-quarters (73%) live and work in Maine three to five years after graduation. If a UMaine graduate begins working in Maine within a year after graduating, there is an 84% chance they will remain in Maine a few years later (and an 85% chance for graduates originallyfrom Maine). Further, of UMaine graduates who initially leave the state to live and work, approximately 38% return to Maine three to five years later.

chaos, thanks for that- once again, facts fly in the face of generalizations and experts

maine is a great state to go to college- my son chose a college in maine-he got accepted at many out of state colleges, but -he and his friends all say, yes, they may be able to make more money out of state-but quality of life is important to them, and they want to raise a family in maine

will there be jobs?? no guarantees, but it's thier first choice

for anyone looking to come to maine for college-look online at the job market and openings now-check out the demand

Old 03-11-2012, 02:19 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
The biggest shock will be "winter" in Maine for someone coming from the deep south. This winter has been the easiest one in decades but that doesn't garuntee that next one will be.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:17 PM

118 posts, read 283,880 times
Quote:

Consider the source... Also note they don't give figures on how many of those graduates are working in their fields, just how many are still in Maine. I know plenty of my peers (an amount equal to the figures above easily) are [sarcasm]feeling good[/sarcasm] about their student loan debts while passing their time working at hannaford.

Facts are one thing. Statistics on the other hand is as my Umaine statistics teacher told me on day one... "The art of making anything seem true on the surface." But I am a fan of seeing for yourself and encourage you to not let me dissuade you..

As I said, it's a great school, and not too hard to get accepted to either.

:-)

Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 AM

534 posts, read 904,798 times
Default Stuck in Alabama, envying you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leotime21 View Post
Well soon enough ( two months ) Me and my wonderful girlfriend are moving to Maine. Ive looked at a lot of places saying maine has high taxes and a low quality job market. Well my question is how much should that influence my move to maine. Currently I am in college and plan to further my education in orono or surrounding cities. Preferably I would like to be around the bangor area. I have been to maine and its a beautiful state. So all in all I just wanted a take on how education might be currently? as well as other various things that I may not know about that you maineahs can share with southern guy.

Is maine worth it? thanks for any input.
Ahhh lucky you...as I type this I think about seeing the lobster once again as I pass over the bridge into Maine.

Summer here is is soon to envelope Dixie with its blanket of humidiy, heat, fire ants and other wee miseries of the south. The tornado season is just ramping up and I dread hearing the tornado sirens again. Just last week they were screaming, warning of immenment death. Even worse here is the intrusion into every day life by the religious salesmen of every stripe. Then the local news enjoys reporting the wild west use of guns in Birmingham by criminals. But you must know of all this.

Go for a chance in Maine. I hope you find what you seek there. Some day I will return at the first chance I get.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 AM

398 posts, read 698,493 times
My husband and I've been in Maine 6 months and can say that if you come here for any reason, it may as well be UMaine. Great school, great community there. Jobs, yes as posters said, look in healthcare! For this you will obviously need skills related to the field, so go to school for them. Then you should be fine, although you must already know the pay scale will not be as great here as some other areas of the US (not gonna pull out statistics for all they're worth but you probably knew you wouldn't get rich in Maine).

Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:

Wow, I would have never guessed.

I sell veggies to a Buyer's Club in Orono; mostly UMaine employees, instructors and grad students.

While rubbing elbows with them I had gotten the impression that many did stay. Though I was not going to mention it, as I never it was totally biased, and not objective at all.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:18 AM

404 posts, read 777,841 times
You'll love Orono. I moved here from the deep south as well. All in all I've found it it be a break even. sales taxes are much less only 5% but there was a personal income tax. Being in school you hopefully won't have to deal with the added heating cost. which can be as much as the peak seasons of summer and your electric bill in the south. Many apartments Heat is included and you won't need more than a window unit in summer on occasionally on.
Apartments in orono are a bit less expensive than I've seen in many parts of FL and there is no traffic.

My daughter is in Orono and loves it there after graduating from high school in AL. As for jobs there are jobs in maine for graduates and if you work with the school they will help you. My company hires a few interns and umaine grads every year and there are others who do the same. Your in school right now so its a good time to see how you like a place you never know what your next education steps may bring and if you like the place as much as many of us do you'll figure out how to make it work if you want to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine