Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:18 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,715,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpurvis View Post
I guess it has not been an issue with me except for maybe a short period of time. Most places I have worked do provide coverage for the employee.
I am assuming that there are those that will provide it and those that won't.
Don't forget to check the coverage BEFORE you sign-on as well. Some are there just so the place can say the offer health care to employees. My wife works for a hospital up here in Caribou and the coverage is the worst I have seen anyplace. It covers this hospital only, for the coverage listed, EVERYPLACE else is 50 - 75% of the cost is your responsibility, even if you are referred. To add me and the boys is just under $500 a month. But to go without when you have kids isn't really an option. She cannot just add the boys, but has to include me as well. To get independent health care that actually lets you go someplace other than 1 hospital is WAY out of reach at almost $2000 a month for all of us. None of us has ANY health problems either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 08:44 AM

175 posts, read 418,552 times
That is the same with me, I have no health issues, I do have a couple of meds I take each month, but nothing major at all. I just could not imagine paying that kind of insurance on even the salary I make here and it is not to shabby. I shutter to think what I would do there on a lesser pay scale. OUCH!!! Maybe living in my car.....
I guess with what I am use to, it just seems so bizarre to me. I will be sure and check that out when applying for jobs and such. Great info to know.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
I guess that we have it all pretty good here.

Being a retired US servicemember, I pay $950 every year to enroll in a policy with 'Martin's Point' coverage. We pay $20 co-pay for every doctor's visit, and co-pays for each drug re-fill.

It is much better than we had become acustomed to, since I was a teenager being treated always by corpsmen. Now we actually see a 'doctor' who has been to college and medical school, so I guess that it is much better.

I think that my DW rather misses being seen by 'Military Medicine' though, our doctor is a lady Russian immigrant. I think that DW had gotten into the habit of being seen by 19 year olds going through OJT.

Government provided medical care is kind of neat, you show them a problem and the kid scratched his head, not knowing what the problem is either. But they always had Motrin and cold meds. I had to learn to do my own suturing because of them.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:47 PM

175 posts, read 418,552 times
Talk about learning how to sew!!!! Yeah, I guess come to think of it, even down here, if you have to get medical on your own, it can be expensive. Maybe taking a sewing class may come in handy for me, just in case.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:56 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
I was taught to sew as a kid, just not on myself or my children. I learned that in the Navy, as so many 18 year old corpsmen start throwing up when you need to get some suturing done.

I do really like private medicine, like we have now. Not that government provided junk. Adults practicing medicine who have gone through college first, is much better.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:42 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,704,374 times
I think the ability to find a job quickly may also depend on age. Employers are more likely to take a chance on young people. It's not legal but it's reality.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:47 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,364,202 times
This may be of interest to some...

athenahealth to bring 100 jobs to Belfast - Maine Coast NOW - A Courier Publications Information Source

Old 12-01-2007, 04:15 PM

264 posts, read 393,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Clerks and data entry probably.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:55 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,625,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
Clerks and data entry probably.
and what is wrong with that? honest work is honest work. Done my share of data entry and would do it again in a heartbeat... beats dealing with THE PUBLIC in a customer service position all hollow!

Old 12-01-2007, 09:28 PM

264 posts, read 393,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
and what is wrong with that? honest work is honest work. Done my share of data entry and would do it again in a heartbeat... beats dealing with THE PUBLIC in a customer service position all hollow!
Nothing is wrong with that, but those are the only jobs that seem to be created in Maine. There is no longer any industry moving in that requires staffs of design people, engineers, management levels, or other skilled positions that create more hands-on jobs and produce goods. That is what enhances an area's economy. I'm not putting down honest hard-working people..I'm reinforcing why the Maine economy remains stagnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine