Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:03 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean29 View Post
Lewiston...stay far away!
coffe,,,there use to be quite a few jokes about lewiston when i growing up,,,but now, living a few towns over, there are parts of lewiston are really nice..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 03:43 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
There was an independant movie called "The Spitfire Grill" about a city family that wins a little cafe in a northern maine town and their adventures and misadventures in adjusting to the move. I havent seen it for years but dispite being a bit contrived, I really liked it.
Thanks for the revue just ordered it from net flix.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:15 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Default Spitfire Grill

I just read the synopsis of the movie and I was a bit mixed up about the plot but the setting is a fictitous town in northern maine and involves a resturant, and a lottery. It isnt a family that is central; it is a young woman with a past and the townfolk judgemental suspicion of her and how it all works out. I hope you like it; I think you will. It is definately drama not comedy--and if I recall at time the plot is a bit contrived. I liked it.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:02 PM

497 posts, read 1,567,033 times
It's funny you are talking about Lewiston when there was just a murder there. Not that there is anything funny about a murder but it just goes to show that Maine isn't as safe as people make it out to be.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=75149 (broken link)

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 11-20-2007 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: abortion-related matters best discussed in POC

Old 11-20-2007, 09:19 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Ya know,... it's a sad, sad thing. Perhaps you should read the news from around the country. It happens far too frequently in far to many places.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 11-20-2007 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 11-20-2007, 11:16 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
It's funny you are talking about Lewiston when there was just a murder there. Not that there is anything funny about a murder but it just goes to show that Maine isn't as safe as people make it out to be.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=75149 (broken link)
A murder is one too many, but I wouldn't get so worked up over the safety factor. From my research it seems as if the few murders that take place in Maine usually involve people who know each other and is generally not something random.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 AM

497 posts, read 1,567,033 times
While I will agree that when compared to other areas in the country Maine is relatively safe there is still crime in this state and like any area there are places you should avoid...particularly in the bigger cities like Portland and Lewiston. I would also pretty much avoid the whole city of Westbrook. They didn't even want to tear down some of the crack houses to build a Wal Mart because it would ruin the character of the area. That was about the biggest laugh I heard in a long time.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:43 PM

Default spitfire grill

Quote:
I just read the synopsis of the movie and I was a bit mixed up about the plot but the setting is a fictitous town in northern maine and involves a resturant, and a lottery. It isnt a family that is central; it is a young woman with a past and the townfolk judgemental suspicion of her and how it all works out. I hope you like it; I think you will. It is definately drama not comedy--and if I recall at time the plot is a bit contrived. I liked it.
Thank You, I _love_ movies and look forward to enjoying this one. Recently retired I am going to finally have time to enjoy them. This deserves to be in a new thread - but I don't know how to do that at the moment. I spent a lot of time in the forum FAQ's yesterday and didn't cover that topic.

I suppose that Spitfire Grill will at least not be as scary as the new movie "Mist" by Maine's Stephen King I looked at imdb dot com and found some information and photos. A reviewer said "...It makes you feel like you are in this small little town, getting to know all the people. I've never lived in a small town, but this is like Hometown America. It was tragic, funny, sad, romantic, and just the place you would want to visit..."

BTW, you said you said you read a synopsis - perhaps you are a movie person - this is totally out of the blue - but perchance you might help me with a movie search. I saw it in the late 80's. Don't know the movie name and the actress' name is just out of reach too - she is well known. Fragments of the plot - An aunt (?) who is slightly a free spirit comes to take care of two (?) children in a rural home after their mother (?) dies or is gone. There is a lovely scene where there is a flood and the aunt is walking in knee deep water in the house. A closet door opens and several little pots float out. The aunt uses a broom to gently herd the floating pots back into the closet.

I tried everything I could in imdb - no luck. Anyways, Best Regards, qw

Old 11-21-2007, 02:58 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Oh Dear, quiet walker, I don't recognize the scene gems you recall; but now I am on a mission, If I find anything, I will let you know. It sounds like a part that Shirley McClain could play, or Sally Fields, or any number of character actresses. I have heard the expression, "like trying to herd cats" never floating pots and pans.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:58 PM

Default elston "Housekeeping" - Christine Lahti - Thank You!!!!

Quote:
Oh Dear, quiet walker, I don't recognize the scene gems you recall; but now I am on a mission, If I find anything, I will let you know. It sounds like a part that Shirley McClain could play, or Sally Fields, or any number of character actresses. I have heard the expression, "like trying to herd cats" never floating pots and pans.
I found it Thanks to your clue "character actress" WooHoo!!!

"Housekeeping" Christine Lahti Housekeeping (1987)

I forgot this was when I was on a Bill Forsythe (director, writer) trip.

There is no synopsis but there is the movie trailer. Oh thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, and did I say "Thank You." I highly recommend this film and Bill Forsyth's films as well. With Christmas coming up I also highly recommend another gem "Comfort and Joy"

Thank You - and enjoy your Thanksgiving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine