Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 10:41 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Not sure what you're saying, pondering....

The winters in Maine are not a whole lot different than any other Northern state across the country...I agree. But it's mostly the relative isolation factor in Maine that has to be reckoned with. I would probably same the same about many areas of upstate NY, ND, and MN etc. In little Massachusetts, you are surrounded by cities and college towns, even in the western part of the state. You can easily get out to all kinds of events and activities even in compromised health and older age. In many a small isolated town in state like Maine, it's a "longer winter" and in general I'd say the happier people there are outdoors types who can enjoy all that the outdoors has to offer in cold and snow. Mainers may want to weigh in to agree with or contradict me.
Being from "Upstate" NY - Western NY to be precise, it is no in no way as isolated as Northern or Eastern Maine. I'm presently 2 hours from a substantial city. In NY I was roughly 2 hours away from 6 large metro areas (Buffalo, Erie PA, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Rochester, Elmira/Bingo). I have friends in the Catskills and Allegany County and they are sparse but not like here. Adirondacks have their forests but even up there, you're an hour at most from Watertown, Great Falls, Albany, Utica/Rome, or Lake Champlain.

As for the Maine winters, being from the snowbelt of Lake Erie so far I've encountered colder nights, windier days...but not as much snow. Maybe I'm just used to it. The wind is what gets me - but I live 25 feet from Cobscook so I get the wind right off the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 04:05 PM

628 posts, read 663,288 times
Not sure if its been mentioned. But in the town of scarbrough (maine), there is a pier with a lot going on. I imagine you could get a small flat above one of the stores. Everything would be within walking distance. Not sure the exact name of the town, but it is near Scarbrough. Nice place.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Not sure if its been mentioned. But in the town of scarbrough (maine), there is a pier with a lot going on. I imagine you could get a small flat above one of the stores. Everything would be within walking distance. Not sure the exact name of the town, but it is near Scarbrough. Nice place.
Maybe you mean Old Orchard Beach. It's a nice area especially if you like lots of tourist activity in the summer.....might be harder to find a year round rental...maybe not....I knew some retirees who lived in OOB for a winter, and they had a car. The OP is asking about coastal towns suitable for senior citizens/retirees and the services and stores, restaurants, library, movie theater, public transportation, senior citizen activities, etc. offered in them for someone who doesn't drive.....might want to include health care too. He would be fairly close to the Portland Jetport.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 04-17-2012 at 05:26 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 05:25 AM

45 posts, read 161,008 times
Default Great post about Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midcoaster View Post
It was pure synchorincity that I came across your post. Just in time, I hope.
I do not exaggerate in what I write.

Do not move to Maine. You will age 5 years for every year spent here. Banish any and all Maine mythology/folklore from your thoughts.

Move to a NYC burrough if you have to; get a room mate if you have to. You absolutely need to consider, not the "cost of living," but trying to live - at what cost.

You are not a senior, but already you have responses that make you so. The recommendation of the Rockland Senior Center is proof of that, and I assure you that this is one of the worst senior centers ever. It works for those who are here - who have always been here - I suppose.

The health care options are poor.

Cost of eating out is absurd, unless you want to eat a lot of slices of pizza, and that's it.

Overall, it is extremely expensive to live in Maine - apart from the financial side of things - it will cost you your spirit when you need it the most.

You have a vast array of good things that are free where you are, and in the burroughs. I beg you to reconsider.

I wouldn't even suggest that you move up to the Rhinebeck area either. A woman in her wonderfully wild age needs sustenance. Of course, if you did move to that area, you would at least find people who have left the state once in their lifetime. Fact. Not sour grapes. I'm trying to save you from a big mistake.

It is fine to visit Maine. Make it a holiday, but not a move. Have you considered Coney Island? At least there is tolerance for "odd" people like those from New York City.

There is only one town that I would suggest to you, but I won't do it. Don't make the move. Glory in all that you have there and find some way to make it work. If not, move to Sarasota. At least there, you will not be treated "old." You can rent a tiny house quite inexpensively. There is public transportation. Lizards. Most importantly, a significantly more welcoming atmosphere.

But please - reconsider. And ignore the post about Mainers having few pretentions. You wouldn't believe....it would make you laugh, until you cried. There is a phrase used here constantly, chronically that you would encounter in some fashion every single day of your life here -- "from away." You wouldn't be able to escape it. It's no way to live.
This is an excellent post and something that Brooks should read as coming from the voice of experience to which I can add that of my own several years living in midcoast Maine. I know it well, especially the area adjacent to Penobscot Bay. I think Midcoaster might be gilding the lily somewhat in his/her critical assessment of Maine issues, but do remember that it is one thing to be a summer visitor and quite another to be a year around resident.

Livfe in the Portland / Cumberland County Metro area is the only exception for Maine, as far as the many issues Midcoaster has addressed. Of course there are always the independently well-off or wealthy, as well as the occasional tough nut who would thrive on the challenges or the delights that Maine presents to a resident. But apart from those types and for the rest of us, Maine is great in the summer but very much something else for extended, year round living. That's my two cents.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzacher View Post
This is an excellent post and something that Brooks should read as coming from the voice of experience to which I can add that of my own several years living in midcoast Maine. I know it well, especially the area adjacent to Penobscot Bay. I thinkMidcoaster might be gilding the lily somewhat in his/her critical assessment of Maine issues, but do remember that it is one thing to be a summer visitor and quite another to be a year around resident.

Livfe in the Portland / Cumberland County Metro area is the only exception for Maine, as far as the many issues Midcoaster has addressed. Of course there are always the independently well-off or wealthy, as well as the occasional tough nut who would thrive on the challenges or the delights that Maine presents to a resident. But apart from those types and for the rest of us, Maine is great in the summer but very much something else for extended, year round living. That's my two cents.
That was gilding the lily???

Old 05-03-2012, 02:49 PM

12 posts, read 20,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBrooksB View Post
My name is Brooks. Hello!

Am contemplating a move to Maine, and wondering if I, a lifelong non-driver, could make a go of it in any of your coastal cities or towns?

I've nothing against the occasional taxi, but would love to be within walking or biking distance of a few stores, restaurants, a library, a movie theater.....the basics. Will be looking for a one-bedroom rental in, or close to downtown — even if "downtown" is just a handful of streets.

Any thoughts as to which of your coastal towns might be a good match for a soon-to-be-retired 60-year-old? Your input would be most appreciated.

Kind thanks.

B.
I have been a non-driver for 7 years on the Portland peninsula. Frankly, there are many drawbacks in Maine for those on foot. In many residential areas, you will find that the city or town will not remove snow from the sidewalks. The west end of Portland for instance, the landlord is "supposed" to remove snow, but often you will find the landlord does not!

On Congress street where I live, it is commercial zoning, and snow removal is prompt. So think commercial zoning. Also you will note that there is an almost total absence of bus stop shelters anywhere away from Monument Square.

I am not elderly, but many elderly people live on Congress Street and seem to enjoy standing in front of their buildings on sunny days.

In fact, if I was elderly on foot, this would be the last last last state I would go to! Coming here would be a death sentence.

Last edited by portlandano; 05-03-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandano View Post
I have been a non-driver for 7 years on the Portland peninsula. Frankly, there are many drawbacks in Maine for those on foot. In many residential areas, you will find that the city or town will not remove snow from the sidewalks. The west end of Portland for instance, the landlord is "supposed" to remove snow, but often you will find the landlord does not!

On Congress street where I live, it is commercial zoning, and snow removal is prompt. So think commercial zoning. Also you will note that there is an almost total absence of bus stop shelters anywhere away from Monument Square.

I am not elderly, but many elderly people live on Congress Street and seem to enjoy standing in front of their buildings on sunny days.

In fact, if I was elderly on foot, this would be the last last last state I would go to! Coming here would be a death sentence.
I'm sensing some disgruntlement over a lack of bus shelters. I could be mistaken...

Old 05-03-2012, 03:39 PM

12 posts, read 20,742 times
Default florist at forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I'm sensing some disgruntlement over a lack of bus shelters. I could be mistaken...
That is one of the things that has always bothered me. Granted, I got used to the lack of shelters for bus riders and simply stood in doorways or toughed it out in the snow. But sometimes, for instance I see people crowded into the doorway of the Florist at Congress and Forest, and wonder that at this pivotal corner, where buses stop for South Portland, the grocery store, etc, there is not a bus shelter! After all, that is a business, a florist. I can't imagine the florist enjoys being a bus shelter! I sense some bad planning on the bus route!

Sometimes I'm standing at a bus stop, and cars stop, thinking I am waiting to cross the street! They cant even tell that it is a bus stop. It wastes their time.

Last edited by portlandano; 05-03-2012 at 03:55 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 03:41 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandano View Post
That is one of the things that has always bothered me. Granted, I got used to the lack of shelters for bus riders and simply stood in doorways or toughed it out in the snow. But sometimes, for instance I see people crowded into the doorway of the Florist at Congress and Forest, and wonder that at this pivotal corner, where buses stop for South Portland, the grocery store, etc, there is not a bus shelter! After all, that is a business, a florist. I can't imagine the florist enjoys being a bus shelter! I sense some bad planning on the bus route!
Well, buy something the next time you're in there. Just watch out for the marigolds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine