Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 11:41 AM

161 posts, read 418,959 times

Advertisements

The Passamaquoddy Bay area provides some of the most spectacular cold water diving in the world. It is by far the best place to dive in the northeastern US.

Diving there requires a tolerance of cold, even in a dry suit, and a knowledge of tides and currents. The twenty foot tidal changes result in stiff currents and slack tide diving is almost a must. The marine life in the bay grows to sizes not seen elsewhere in New England due to high nutrient and oxygen levels provided by the cold water and the great exchange of water.

I collect antique bottles when diving off Eastport and have found some dating to as far back as 1850. I also take underwater photographs. Go to this web site to see some of my photos taken off Eastport:

Marine Life of Passamaquoddy Bay

Alan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 06:21 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
El, that is one thing we won't do together. I am claustrophic and no way!!! Heck I don't even like boats and I grew up on the coaster with a father who was a boat builder. LOL

Old 09-15-2007, 06:24 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
I won't try it,... lol. Had to wear SCBA for a clean harbors hazardous waste course and thought it was gonna kill me. I'm not usually claustrophic but wearing the mask and gear made me very uncomfortable. I do love to see pics taken by others underwater though

Old 09-16-2007, 05:32 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
AdsLubec, we took a boat on a whale watching tour out of Eastport just after some scuba divers got back in. You weren't up there on Monday were you?

Old 09-16-2007, 08:01 AM

Default Not me this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
AdsLubec, we took a boat on a whale watching tour out of Eastport just after some scuba divers got back in. You weren't up there on Monday were you?
I'll be back up diving there this coming weekend weather permitting and then again over the Columbus Day (my birthday) weekend.

Did you see any whales? We usually go whale watching every year but did not go this year. We prefer the smaller whale watching boats as they will also bring you close to shore to view the seal haul outs and to watch the eagles.

Alan

Old 09-18-2007, 06:22 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSLubec View Post
I'll be back up diving there this coming weekend weather permitting and then again over the Columbus Day (my birthday) weekend.

Did you see any whales? We usually go whale watching every year but did not go this year. We prefer the smaller whale watching boats as they will also bring you close to shore to view the seal haul outs and to watch the eagles.

Alan
You can see a slide show of our photos in the photos of Maine thread, but yes we saw some finback whales, porpoises, eagles and harbour seals!!!! Also, we did get the smaller boat as the Sylvania was already booked 3 months out!

Old 09-18-2007, 04:27 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
ADSLubec, where is the closest place to go from our area to become certified? Is there a course in Machias at the University that you know of? That would be a great thing to learn

Old 09-18-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
ADSLubec, where is the closest place to go from our area to become certified? Is there a course in Machias at the University that you know of? That would be a great thing to learn
Molly -

Yes the UofM - Machias offers both the introductory and advanced scuba certifcation courses. Your other option would be to head over the bridge to St. Andrews and get certified at Navy Island Divers.

College scuba course are a great option and usually less expensive than courses at dive shops.

Alan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine