Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 06:27 PM
pjb pjb started this thread

1 posts, read 2,782 times

Advertisements

So I've been living in MA for 8 years now (since right after college) and for about 6 years I've been dreaming about moving back and Thursday, I actually am and I'm so f'n happy I could do cartwheels!!! I bought a great place in Westbrook and am ready to kick ass in ME.

I would have NEVER ben able to buy a place in MA. And I'm so **** sick of the congestion and traffic and crime here. YAHOO for me!!! I LOVE Portland and all my friends are there. My family is in Lewiston. I'm near the water and three minutes from the greatest city on earth, Portland. If I was any happier I'd be triplets.

I will never leave the state. The quality of life there is awesome. It ain't perfect, but it's the closest I've found. Congratulate me and tell me what you love about Maine. I know this posting is a little ridiculous, but hey, I'm REALLY happy!

Old 08-29-2006, 07:00 PM

9 posts, read 24,439 times
Default Congradulations!

No more espressos for you my friend!
Congradulations! I've just recently started looking into Maine after abandoning the idea of North Carolina. Can you tell me more about what you love about Maine? I'm trying to get an idea of what its like there. What attracted me to NC was its beauty. Can you describe a little bit of Maine's own beauty? I appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Old 08-29-2006, 08:12 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
So I've been living in MA for 8 years now (since right after college) and for about 6 years I've been dreaming about moving back and Thursday, I actually am and I'm so f'n happy I could do cartwheels!!! I bought a great place in Westbrook and am ready to kick ass in ME.

I would have NEVER ben able to buy a place in MA. And I'm so **** sick of the congestion and traffic and crime here. YAHOO for me!!! I LOVE Portland and all my friends are there. My family is in Lewiston. I'm near the water and three minutes from the greatest city on earth, Portland. If I was any happier I'd be triplets.

I will never leave the state. The quality of life there is awesome. It ain't perfect, but it's the closest I've found. Congratulate me and tell me what you love about Maine. I know this posting is a little ridiculous, but hey, I'm REALLY happy!
Congratulations to you! It's so nice to find someone so enthusiastic about moving to my favorite state! I'd feel the same way if I was moving to Maine!!!! (And someday I will!!!) I love everything about Maine. The scenery is gorgeous. I love how uncongested 99% of the state is. The people are awesome. Housing is still fairly reasonable (although high heating costs seem to be an issue, but no state is perfect!). What's not to love? Best of luck with your move! I envy you in a big way !

Old 08-29-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen_Mirage View Post
No more espressos for you my friend!
Congradulations! I've just recently started looking into Maine after abandoning the idea of North Carolina. Can you tell me more about what you love about Maine? I'm trying to get an idea of what its like there. What attracted me to NC was its beauty. Can you describe a little bit of Maine's own beauty? I appreciate your input.

Thanks!
I was just curious as to what made you abandon your idea of moving to NC? We moved to the Raleigh area in March after having to abandon our dream (for now!) of moving to Maine. We like NC, but it's definitely not where we'll stay long-term. (Once we're finally in Maine we're never leaving! )

Old 08-29-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt4fam View Post
I was just curious as to what made you abandon your idea of moving to NC? We moved to the Raleigh area in March after having to abandon our dream (for now!) of moving to Maine. We like NC, but it's definitely not where we'll stay long-term. (Once we're finally in Maine we're never leaving! )
I think it's the fact that NC has or is quickly becoming THE "Hot Spot" to relocate. If you just look at the number of posts made on these forums, NC has the most with over 18,000 and I think Florida was the second highest with less than 7,000. Obviously there is A LOT of interest in NC. The cost of living is on the rise and the schools have become over crowded. That scares me. I live in California and it sounds to me NC is quickly becoming what I am trying to escape from. I've been researching North Carolina (mainly Asheville area) for a few years now and I have absolutely fallen in love with the state without ever stepping foot in it. Other reasons that have detoured me have to do with the schools (I haven't read many good things about them) and the crime rate isn't as low as I would hope for. I glanced at Maine on-line a few years back before getting hooked on NC but was quickly scared away because of the high cost of living. I've just recently given it a second chance and like what I "see" so far. Out of curiosity, why is Maine your dream location?
Thanks!

Old 08-30-2006, 05:38 AM

439 posts, read 721,278 times
Just my humble opine Carmen

Maine will have a lower crime rate then NC-and better services for kids, and a better school system. Ashville is a nice area, but its not particularly a 'progressive' area for women or kids.

Housing prices ave stalled in Maine, and have actually dropped in most of the southern part of the state, while in NC they are rising more rapidly then local incomes.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:13 AM

Default Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Just my humble opine Carmen

Maine will have a lower crime rate then NC-and better services for kids, and a better school system. Ashville is a nice area, but its not particularly a 'progressive' area for women or kids.

Housing prices ave stalled in Maine, and have actually dropped in most of the southern part of the state, while in NC they are rising more rapidly then local incomes.

Which is why I've come to my senses and abandoned the idea of relocating to North Carolina. But I still can't wait to visit it!

Old 08-30-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I think it's the fact that NC has or is quickly becoming THE "Hot Spot" to relocate. If you just look at the number of posts made on these forums, NC has the most with over 18,000 and I think Florida was the second highest with less than 7,000. Obviously there is A LOT of interest in NC. The cost of living is on the rise and the schools have become over crowded. That scares me. I live in California and it sounds to me NC is quickly becoming what I am trying to escape from. I've been researching North Carolina (mainly Asheville area) for a few years now and I have absolutely fallen in love with the state without ever stepping foot in it. Other reasons that have detoured me have to do with the schools (I haven't read many good things about them) and the crime rate isn't as low as I would hope for. I glanced at Maine on-line a few years back before getting hooked on NC but was quickly scared away because of the high cost of living. I've just recently given it a second chance and like what I "see" so far. Out of curiosity, why is Maine your dream location?
Thanks!
One of the main things I love about Maine is the fact that not that many people live there! I read somewhere that 90% of the state is forest,and since I love nature that's a definite plus. The quaint fishing villages, beautiful coast, mountains, etc., etc. I've been to many states, but there is just a feeling I get when I'm in Maine that I don't get anywhere else. It's called feeling at home. Not to sound melodramatic or sentimental, but that's truly how I feel there. NC is nice for now, but it is getting very crowded. The congestion around Raleigh is getting worse all the time. Housing prices are rising and schools can't keep up with the influx of new students. My kids just started at a brand-new school down the street from where we live, but I still have to worry that they'll end up at another school further away from home someday soon. I doubt that kids get redistricted in Maine! If I were you I'd jump at the chance to move to Maine. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Old 08-30-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt4fam View Post
One of the main things I love about Maine is the fact that not that many people live there! I read somewhere that 90% of the state is forest,and since I love nature that's a definite plus. The quaint fishing villages, beautiful coast, mountains, etc., etc. I've been to many states, but there is just a feeling I get when I'm in Maine that I don't get anywhere else. It's called feeling at home. Not to sound melodramatic or sentimental, but that's truly how I feel there. NC is nice for now, but it is getting very crowded. The congestion around Raleigh is getting worse all the time. Housing prices are rising and schools can't keep up with the influx of new students. My kids just started at a brand-new school down the street from where we live, but I still have to worry that they'll end up at another school further away from home someday soon. I doubt that kids get redistricted in Maine! If I were you I'd jump at the chance to move to Maine. Good luck with whatever decision you make!
Don't worry about sounding melodramatic or sentimental! Its wonderful to have a place you can call home. I was born and raised in Cali but it never felt like home so I envey you. Where abouts in Maine are you planning to set up roots?

Old 08-30-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Don't worry about sounding melodramatic or sentimental! Its wonderful to have a place you can call home. I was born and raised in Cali but it never felt like home so I envey you. Where abouts in Maine are you planning to set up roots?
When the time comes for our move, we'd like to concentrate on the Rockland/Camden area or Bangor area. If we can afford it, I'd also consider Portland. I love that town! Are you planning on visiting Maine? Have you been there before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine