Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 07:52 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,319 times

Advertisements

I just got a cord of wood for next year. Should I cover it for the summer? Or is it best uncovered to breath/dry out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 07:55 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,577 times
It should be covered but not wrapped. Lots of air flow, but no rain access.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:03 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Yeah, there was a big discussion on this, on another site devoted to wood-burning. Most said yes, some said no. The general consensus was that it was important to have good air flow thru the stack to aid in removing moisture so don't wrap it. But not giving it some sort of cover from the rain adds to the amount of moisture that needs to be removed.

Ideally, if you can find some scrap lumber (2x4, plywood) make a sort of roof that overhangs the sides of the stack by a little bit, then put your tarp/plastic sheeting over that- it will help to prevent moisture being released from condensing and dripping back onto the wood as well as protecting it from rain.

Some woods (like Oak) need more than one year to be at their best while others (like Ash) can be reasonably dry in a few months. The guys on the wood board say "90% of all burning problems can be solved with properly seasoned wood." If you can, you should try to get 1 to 2 years ahead. Any moisture left in the wood at the time you burn it is going to rob you of heat, because that heat is expended in converting the moisture to vapor instead of heating your stove...although, if you're only getting one cord I'm assuming that this isn't going to be your primary heat source, so maybe that isn't a big deal for you?

Old 04-22-2012, 07:20 PM

783 posts, read 1,574,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I just got a cord of wood for next year. Should I cover it for the summer? Or is it best uncovered to breath/dry out?
When you say, "...next year..." - do you mean the winter following the one on its way - 2012-2013? Not to split hairs, it's just that I normally get a pile of green, split wood delivered around now, which I won't burn until 2013-2014.

The pile of green wood that I had delivered this time last year has been sitting outside, stacked on wood pallets and covered only on the top with a doubled over old tarp. Because, like you, I've wondered which way - covered or not - seasons better, I have another pile outside, uncovered, that I stacked in a round, "Holz Hausen" style pile. At some point in the future, I move the wood that has been drying outside into the covered woodshed, now that there's room from last year's burning. I LOVE to handle wood!

Maybe check out some of the internet forums that are devoted to wood cutting/ burning/ stoves, etc. As Zymer sezs, there are varied opinions. And much has to do with weather - whether or not we have a wet summer.

Google "wood stack" and look at the images. Have fun with stacking your cord o' wood!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
It should be covered but not wrapped. Lots of air flow, but no rain access.
That would be the right answer.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,656 times
I've burned wood for 40 years. I find wood stacked or piled outside from 8 months to a year as long as it is solid wood, doesn't need covering.Rain does not permeate the wood more than a sixteenth of an inch if solid and will dry out in a day or two after the rain. I've also burned dead wood that has deteriorated some and find that even then it will dry out in a week or two of dry weather.It doesn't last as long in the stove but I use when I'm home all day and don't mind feeding the fire more often. I usually get the wood in the shed the last of August or early September when it is driest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine