Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:25 AM

846 posts, read 1,019,944 times

Advertisements

Yes, Marden's, cheaper than Remey's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:05 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
fresh air
rural state-out in the country/little traffic
low crime-safe dont usually lock the house at night-dont feel the need to
decent people-if you break down (car) many folks will stop and offer to help
outdoor recreation -the coast, the mountains, the lakes, the fishing, the hunting,-maine is the most forested state over 90% trees-
You didn't answer his question at all...lol

Old 04-24-2012, 04:32 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
1) Acadia National Park. Even the drive there is breathtaking. Make sure your camera is charged!

2) Go to a roadside stand and buy something, who cares what it is. The very fact that we can still buy something from a road side stand and no one has legislated it yet is where the joy comes in. And if it's a little kid selling something, you just tell them that is the best damn lemonade you have ever tasted...because even though it's probably Crystal Lite, the fact that you are allowed to buy from a little kid at a road side stand and no one has legislated it...you get the point.

3) If you don't already know how, learn to garden because I can tell you from experience with one year in, THESE PEOPLE KNOW THEIR PLANTS! HOLY COW! Even the fish guy at the store knows his plants...it's fricken impressive. You can grow your own fruits/veggies and trade/sell or just create the most elaborate beautiful garden because, seriously, they KNOW their plants and soon, you will as well!

4) Baxter State Park

5) In your down time, learn the Maineisms. Like:

Door yard (I know what it is now, I still don't understand why.)
gawmy
hot (no, not weather related)
ah-yuh
Bean's
B.F.I.
card, as in, "he's a card". Or, what it sounds like: "He's a cahd!"
flatlander
whoopie pies
camp, as in, "we're heading up to camp", it's like EVERYONE has a camp here
"real Mainahs"
"nummer than a hake" (And I'm still probably saying it wrong...)
"darker than a pocket"
"Hahd telling not knowin" (Reading it, you probably get it, when they say it, with that accent, you stand there, blankly, "Wha...?!?!" )
"poor man's fertilizer" (I just learned that one last month!)
swamp donkey
from away, outsider, year round summer visitor
fiddleheads

There was one I just learned a few months ago...I saw it on a sign, started with a "B"...never heard the word in my life...in the end I found out it means to cut out the weeds or cut out the high grass or something like that. And now, I can't remember the dang word.

Anyway, that list I left out a lot of words that I've heard in other parts of the country, like "fricken", cause I've been using "fricken" since I started on the internet and am not allowed to use other words due to RULES and things. I left out wicked, I left out chop chop cause I've used that long before coming here...nonetheless, that list above should get you started. OH! And while you're at it, learn this:

Add Rs where they don't belong and remove Rs where they do belong...this helps you better understand what they're saying.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:10 PM

43 posts, read 74,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
5) In your down time, learn the Maineisms. Like:

Door yard (I know what it is now, I still don't understand why.)
gawmy
hot (no, not weather related)
ah-yuh
Bean's
B.F.I.
card, as in, "he's a card". Or, what it sounds like: "He's a cahd!"
flatlander
whoopie pies
camp, as in, "we're heading up to camp", it's like EVERYONE has a camp here
"real Mainahs"
"nummer than a hake" (And I'm still probably saying it wrong...)
"darker than a pocket"
"Hahd telling not knowin" (Reading it, you probably get it, when they say it, with that accent, you stand there, blankly, "Wha...?!?!" )
"poor man's fertilizer" (I just learned that one last month!)
swamp donkey
from away, outsider, year round summer visitor
fiddleheads
I would add "bean suppahs".

Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
If you could pick 5 things for a person to do in Maine what would they be and why?
Kayak or canoe on a still lake at sunrise. You'll hear and see things you didn't know happen.

Watch the moose. A lot goes on in Maine's natural world.

Go to a community supper, especially if it's a benefit for someone. You'll learn about community, caring and philanthropy, and meet wonderful people.

Spend a day visiting locally-owned businesses. You'll meet a interesting people and learn about the Maine work ethic.

Ask your question in a mom 'n pop store early in the morning when the locals have gathered for coffee and social hour. It will turn into a story telling session.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:40 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,639 times
+'s
1 no traffic
2 no people
3 four seasons
4 lots of forest
5 exploring

-'s
1 desolate roads (esp. in winter)
2 desolate towns (in winter)
3 the fourth season (winter)
4 road conditions (after winter)
5 winter

Although I did own a snowmobile a few winters ago and went 1400 miles on it in 6 weeks. It made the fourth season a lot of fun.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:06 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
There was one I just learned a few months ago...I saw it on a sign, started with a "B"...never heard the word in my life...in the end I found out it means to cut out the weeds or cut out the high grass or something like that. And now, I can't remember the dang word.
'Bush-hogging'?

Old 04-25-2012, 03:20 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Remember, the question is "what to do," not why you like Maine. The OP is looking for suggestions of things to do.

Quote:
If you could pick 5 things for a person to do in Maine what would they be and why?

Old 04-25-2012, 04:16 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Desert of Maine
Katahdin/Baxter State Park
Moose tour in Greenville area
Waterfalls in western Maine
Drive Rt 1 north to south and check it out
My list, YRMV

Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Remember, the question is "what to do," not why you like Maine. The OP is looking for suggestions of things to do.

Too easy then: What to do, what I do...

1 The people I know in Maine including family keep me busy with Maine stuff like suppers, get-to-gethers, reunions, homecomings, fairs, parades and farmers markets
2 Anything outdoors from walking to wheeling, riding (motorcycles) to reading is time consuming
3 Exploring (driving) places in Maine I've never seen or only been to a few times is endless
4 Working around the old homestead or helping my brothers at their log cabin or mobile has the potential to take decades of leisure hours
5 Dover is Bangor/Newport/Turnpike close so plenty to do within range of comfort zone especially in the birth of winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine