Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:05 PM

8 posts, read 16,960 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are currently living in Missouri but my husband and I have not been pleased with the school system that our children are in so I have begun research on others. My husband would love to live in New England so I have been trying to learn more about those schools. We would love to know more about Falmouth, Yarmouth and Cape Elizabeth towns and also their school system.

Also....Would we be able to live off of $95,000/year comfortably?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 03:27 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetYouInMaine View Post
Hello! We are currently living in Missouri but my husband and I have not been pleased with the school system that our children are in so I have begun research on others. My husband would love to live in New England so I have been trying to learn more about those schools. We would love to know more about Falmouth, Yarmouth and Cape Elizabeth towns and also their school system.

There are a number of threads here that discuss these school systems, so I'll just address the "live off $95,000/year..." part. These are all expensive towns to live in (if not the most expensive in Maine). Of course, how easily you could live in each one depends about how much you are paying towards your house each month. But, Cape Elizabeth would be the most expensive, with Falmouth closely following it. Yarmouth would be the least expensive of the three (which isn't saying much btw).

Old 04-25-2012, 04:04 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Well, it depends on your definition of "comfortably." Many people who live in Maine year round live on A LOT less than $95,000 a year, but they don't all live in Falmouth, Yarmouth, or Cape Elizabeth. Most posters recommend renting for a year to get a feel for the area. Here's a link that will give you an idea of home prices and craig's list Maine will give you an idea about rentals. Cape Elizabeth Real Estate & Cape Elizabeth Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

maine apts/housing for rent classifieds "cape elizabeth" - craigslist

The topics of Falmouth, Yarmouth, and Cape Elizabeth as towns and the schools have been brought up numerous times in the past few years--lots of info posted. You could type in Falmouth, Maine schools under "Search threads" and go from there. The concensus is that they are all very good schools/school systems and wonderful, picturesque towns to live in. (and as bangorme has said, three of the most expensive places to live in Maine)

You could download Google Earth and take a virtual tour of each town. Google Earth

Old 04-25-2012, 06:18 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetYouInMaine View Post

As a licensed real estate agent, I can't comment on the schools part, but as others have mentioned, there are many threads here at City-Data as well as other web sites that I send my clients to.

As for the $95,000 question, that is going to depend upon the house you buy and how much you put down. If you buy a high priced home with little equity to start, your mortgage (made up of principal, interest, taxes and insurance) is going to be higher than if you were to put a sizable chunk down and/or bought a less expensive home. Of those three towns, only Falmouth has trash delivery (yellow bags) included in your property taxes, the others you will have to contract for or bring your stuff to the dump.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:37 AM

Thank you for all of your help! I will continue to read the threads on here to get more info about each town. Are there towns that are within 15-20 minutes of Falmouth, Yarmouth or Cape Elizabeth that you would recommend?

We appreciate your help with this!

Old 04-26-2012, 06:43 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
I couldn't afford to live in Falmouth, Yarmouth or Cape Elizabeth when I returned to Maine the first time and chose to live in Brunswick. Nice college town with a quaint downtown shopping district. Easy commute to Portland, but also has most of the bigger stores in the immediate area. I can't really talk about the schools though because I didn't have kids at that age when I lived there about five years ago.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I couldn't afford to live in Falmouth, Yarmouth or Cape Elizabeth when I returned to Maine the first time and chose to live in Brunswick. Nice college town with a quaint downtown shopping district. Easy commute to Portland, but also has most of the bigger stores in the immediate area. I can't really talk about the schools though because I didn't have kids at that age when I lived there about five years ago.
We are interested in the towns that I listed due to the schools. However I have been applying to those school districts so if I get a job in one of them, it wouldn't matter where we live because my children could attend the school....actually, I need to double-check on that to see if they have this as an employee perk like they do here.

I will definitely check into Brunswick! Thank you for the suggestion.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:20 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
If you have to work for a living, where you get the job makes many of the other decisions for you.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:05 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
My take on Brunswick schools:

Elementary schools are quite good.

Junior high ... not so much. Of all the teachers my kids had at BJHS, I can remember two who actually seemed to like their jobs and like the kids.

High school ... academics are great. Facility is great. Teachers are very good. No gang issues or anything like that, but casual drug use is a problem. All dances for the 2011-2012 (with the exception of prom) were cancelled, because at the 2011 prom, a few kids were having public sex. It's not like all the kids are a problem at BHS. Most are great kids. But administration seems to have a problem controlling the handful of problem kids who make life miserable for everyone.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:17 AM

Thank you all for your help! We are still considering these areas, but also wondering what you can tell us about Cumberland schools.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine