Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 AM

534 posts, read 904,701 times

Advertisements

Are there any mobile home parks in Maine that are worthy of consideration for a single older 52 y.o. retired person? Being of modest needs, I think a mobile home would meet my needs nicely. Of course being a quiet person, i wouldn't for the excitement of living next door to a meth lab.

I deferr to the wealth of knowledge found in this grand forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 08:56 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
depends on where you are- not all mobile home parks are the same, I've known some "parks" pretty much filled with retired folks, that , the mobile homes are perfect for them.
Do your homework, the parks are all over, so if there is a region you prefer, look up mobile home parks and give them a call-(owner or property manager) or come up for a visit and look at a few places

52 and retired??????

I wished I could say that in a few yrs.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:22 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times
Look for ones that require an interview and a criminal background check.

Also, read over the rules. The more straight-forward they are the better.

In what region are you looking?

Old 05-05-2012, 12:26 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
Are there any mobile home parks in Maine that are worthy of consideration for a single older 52 y.o. retired person? Being of modest needs, I think a mobile home would meet my needs nicely. Of course being a quiet person, i wouldn't for the excitement of living next door to a meth lab.

I deferr to the wealth of knowledge found in this grand forum.
There is a trailer park in back of Judson Heights in Bangor that has two sections. One with families, one with mostly older people. The latter is very nice and seems like a great place to live. The more specialized the park is, the more likely it is to fit you. Also look for solid and enforced rules.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:39 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
"Can one find happiness in a Maine mobile home park?"

I think that for most people, wherever you can find yourself in the arms of a person that you love; there you can find happiness. If that works out to be in a Maine mobile home park then good.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:27 AM

7,080 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
Of course being a quiet person, i wouldn't for the excitement of living next door to a meth lab.
Chances are you would have a hard time finding meth labs in Maine. Meth labs are mostly in the midwest, in the corn belt, cooks have to be able to steal anhydrous ammonia and they do this by using a propane tank from a gas grill with a hose modified with a coupler that will fit the valve on the tank trailer. They will also need a lot of drugstores to send their "smurfs" into to buy the limited number of sudafed available over the counter, they will also need acetone, starting fluid and drain cleaner, I used to work at a wal mart and was amazed by the number of people coming to the store to only buy those particular items.

I have to laugh at people who think there is a big drug problem in Maine, these people are over reacting to isolated incidents and have no idea what a drug problem is. Maine is not "gangsta" there are not shootings every night, there are no $2.4 million coke busts, there are no semi trucks full of marijuana driving through the state.

That being said I can not get back to Maine quick enough, it is a bastion of peace and sanity in a country gone nutso. The worst parts of Maine are better than the best parts of a lot of other states, so randomly select a trailer in any part of the state you like and know you will be better off for it.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:57 PM

534 posts, read 904,701 times
Thanks so much for all your thoughts. They help greatly!

Old 05-06-2012, 02:28 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
There is nothing "old" about being 52.

Mobile homes don't go up in value, they go down. They're also energy inefficient. I can think of other reasons why I wouldn't want to live in one but I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

If you can save up enough for a mobile home, you can save up to build your own small home yourself. You say you're retired. So you've got all the time in the world to start reading up on building your own place and then actually doing it. then maybe you can have a nice big quiet piece of land, maybe with a view, maybe with resources like an endless supply of free firewood that you will take pride in for having built, that will last for decades and go up in value. You have options. Don't sell yourself short.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:38 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,639 times
Many towns around here that I know of have a mobile home park or two. Some parks are very nice and others are are not so nice. My advice is to pick a nice park.The opportunity to buy or rent with modest incomes and live comfortably is done regularly around these parts. There are other mobile homes on their own lots with million dollar views right next door to custom homes too. A Dover park is usually selling space lots and putting in new mobile homes where old ones are sold off to a secondary market where people put them on their own lots. You can find a decent used one for $5-10k or even less.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:45 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
... If you can save up enough for a mobile home, you can save up to build your own small home yourself. You say you're retired. So you've got all the time in the world to start reading up on building your own place and then actually doing it. then maybe you can have a nice big quiet piece of land, maybe with a view, maybe with resources like an endless supply of free firewood that you will take pride in for having built, that will last for decades and go up in value. You have options. Don't sell yourself short.
As a retiree with nothing else to do, I built our house. I started it when I was 46.

I had never built a house before. It has been a great learning experience for me.

However not everyone is up to the task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine