Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 06:32 PM

304 posts, read 397,189 times

Advertisements

Hello Group,
My Wife & I are tired of the busy/much too populated 'Life in Southern New England/Western Connecticut, and are considering moving to either New Hampshire or Maine. (I have an Aunt in Passadumkeag, ME).
I'm thinking waaaaaaaay North, perhaps Pittsfield/Conway NH or Ft Kent, Caribou area in Northern Maine. ('Just Love MT Washington).
We used to vacation around Lake Winnipesaukee NH, but I'm sure that housing prices are expensive around that area.
We want nature/woods/mountains/lakes/Privacy and quiet!
I've had professional schooling in Photography, and worked in that field for awhile, also Computers/IT, & Office Administrative work.
My Wife is retired (35+ years Office Mgr/Accountant) and collects Social Security disability, but I still work & would like to continue doing so.
She is 65, I'm a 'young' 60, and healthy & very active.
I'm a chainsaw enthusiast, and just Love getting out in the woods, and cuttin' Firewood.
I could work for an Arborist/tree company etc.

What, if any, would be the real world differences between Life in NH, and Life in Maine?
Things like taxes , gas prices, housing costs (we'd rent, probably) area resources, WORK prospects (?), how about cable TV/Internet availability (???).

We both want a more Rural/quiet/serene way of Life!
I Love the Outdoors, nature photography, boating, fishing, hiking, Snow Skiing, and gardening.

And, please don't tell me about "The Cold", as I Love it Cold.
I Love the Snow and Ice on the Lakes (for Skating & ice fishin')!
Winter is my favorite season (well, Autumn in New England also!!!) and it really can't be too cold for me...
Heck, if ya get cold, just put on more clothes!
(I've lived in Connecticut my entire Life (umm, so far...) and the Cold doesn't bother me.
I've just gotta have a woodstove, where ever we go.
What I don't like is The Hot & freakin' high Dew Points of Summer
My friends call me a 'Penguin'

Any advice given, would be greatly appreciated!

CTwoodnutt
New Fairfield, CT.....presently that is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:19 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
I live in Caribou, and this area is great. But it's really hard to describe. It's not like any other part of New England, except maybe northern New Hampshire.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Do you have arborist certification/experience? How many trees have you climbed with a chainsaw hooked to your climbin' belt? At your age, you might want to be part of the ground crew draggin' brush and feedin' the chippah......and leave the tree climbin' to the younger workers. IMO you're a little past the age for starting a career as a climber.

You might want to look for a job first and have that determine where you move. ....search the threads for Maine NH comparisons/info and visit Maine.gov |

Old 05-05-2012, 01:15 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I live in Caribou, and this area is great. But it's really hard to describe. It's not like any other part of New England, except maybe northern New Hampshire.
Probably a little more like Canada up there, eh?

Old 05-05-2012, 01:17 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,370 times
I don't know much myself other than my own research but I'd figure NH has the cheaper taxes, except for property tax. There is probably no difference between northern NH and western Maine; I'd venture to guess northern NH is different from southern NH as well.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:27 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times
Can't speak for Me., but my parents live in Northern NH (Northern NH starts at Crawford Notch according to them) and they love it. They burn a lot of wood that they get from their property. Dad bought a wood splitter and found it to be very helpful. From what I gather, the negatives are: 1. few jobs 2. High taxes on assets (property as well as capital gains I think) 3. Not that open to outsiders, but then that has changed a lot in the last few years. They live in Coos County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine