Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:26 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,556,918 times

Advertisements

Similar thing happened to me. My wife and I were out in the barn doing chores one night when something brushed up against my pant leg. So I patted him and asked where we got the new cat. Wife says no new cat. Turn on the light and it was mama skunk with a litter of young ones.

They never sprayed us on the farm, and would eat from our hand. I smell skunks a lot since we are in town now. Too much to freak them out, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 09:50 AM

2,721 posts, read 6,385,168 times

This bruin was around for most of the spring. These pictures were taken after he raided my neighbors' garbage and decided to eat the "spoils" right next to my barn. He didn't have a care in the world!

Old 09-21-2007, 11:15 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,332,962 times
We had a young skunk take up residence in our barn one fall. Darn thing was underfoot every day and never once sprayed. He ate with the barn cats from the same bowl. He got run over the next summer. Kind of missed having him around.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:40 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,039,916 times
ohhh....I think yankee must be right....they're not good at being "Townies"!

Old 09-21-2007, 11:41 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,039,916 times
7th....sweet bear face!!

Old 09-21-2007, 06:58 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,562,067 times
Here at camp I have a hawk that visits every morning. I check the mouse traps and put the nice fresh mouse on the wood pile. As soon as I move away he comes down on a low branch. He will yell at me to move away. "Kee, kee, kee." I move back to about 12 feet and he swoops down to get his mouse. I have held the mouse on a canoe paddle and he swoops at it, but he won't take it from the paddle if I'm holding the paddle. I wouldn't try to let him take it from my hand. Have you ever seen the talons on a red tailed hawk? Up close?

Old 09-21-2007, 08:31 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,327,755 times
We have a skunk. I was out on the back porch one evening and the lights are motion sensors and they had gone out after I sat down. I heard something in the underbrush, thought it was a cat, but looked over and saw it ambling across the back yard towards the driveway. It looked at me as if to say "what are you doing here?" I answered "leaving" and quickly went inside. It has appeared now on three differant occasions, and as there are a lot of cats and dogs in the area I do not plan to be in the area if it's startled. Any idea how to encourage it to "move elsewhere"?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:00 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,332,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
We have a skunk. I was out on the back porch one evening and the lights are motion sensors and they had gone out after I sat down. I heard something in the underbrush, thought it was a cat, but looked over and saw it ambling across the back yard towards the driveway. It looked at me as if to say "what are you doing here?" I answered "leaving" and quickly went inside. It has appeared now on three differant occasions, and as there are a lot of cats and dogs in the area I do not plan to be in the area if it's startled. Any idea how to encourage it to "move elsewhere"?
Mothballs. Or find someone to trap it and move it.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:26 PM

387 posts, read 605,647 times
I was riding my 4-wheeler one year, and was currently parked in one of my favorite places in the trails around here. It's a side trail that deviates from the main trail and goes about a quarter to half a mile. It stops in a clearing with THICK forest all around. I love that area, and ALWAYS relax there.

Anyway, I had my 4-wheeler parked against a tree, and was sitting on the ground enjoying the birds and the smell and silence of the forest, leaning on my ATV, when suddenly...

"SNAP!"

I heard a twig snapping. I thought my mind was playing tricks on me, until I heard it again a few minutes later. It was early afternoon, and I get up to see what was there.

You know how woods seem to break up the outline of any critters moving through? Well, I thought my animal was a moose at first, until I looked closer...

...It was a bear...and I accidentally was staring right at it, and he was staring at me. Needless to say, I started the 4-wheeler and got the HELL out of there, almost wrecking the thing, well I didn't, but I thought I was going too fast for a 90-degree left-hander, but I made it.

I realize that thing could have killed me...I praise my reaction times because I know how fast those things are.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:20 AM

19,959 posts, read 30,011,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconiator View Post
I was riding my 4-wheeler one year, and was currently parked in one of my favorite places in the trails around here. It's a side trail that deviates from the main trail and goes about a quarter to half a mile. It stops in a clearing with THICK forest all around. I love that area, and ALWAYS relax there.

Anyway, I had my 4-wheeler parked against a tree, and was sitting on the ground enjoying the birds and the smell and silence of the forest, leaning on my ATV, when suddenly...

"SNAP!"

I heard a twig snapping. I thought my mind was playing tricks on me, until I heard it again a few minutes later. It was early afternoon, and I get up to see what was there.

You know how woods seem to break up the outline of any critters moving through? Well, I thought my animal was a moose at first, until I looked closer...

...It was a bear...and I accidentally was staring right at it, and he was staring at me. Needless to say, I started the 4-wheeler and got the HELL out of there, almost wrecking the thing, well I didn't, but I thought I was going too fast for a 90-degree left-hander, but I made it.

I realize that thing could have killed me...I praise my reaction times because I know how fast those things are.

tho bear attacks are very rare,(and run from people),i usually carry some pepper spray with me,,when i go 4-wheeling in the woods,,just in case,, after i saw a show on discovery about bear attacks,,they recomended pepper spray,,because of thier acute sense of smell,,it will deter any bear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine