Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,184 times

Advertisements

How are the laws and regulations for Homeschooling in Maine? I have done some research, but have not found the answer I am wanting.

Do you need a college education and teacher certified in order to teach your kids in Maine?

Do I HAVE to stick to a curriculum, or can I teach my kid whatever I choose?

My Wife and I are moving to Maine in four months and have really considered homeschooling our daughter (5months old), and am worried about how strict the laws are there in Maine. We are moving from Texas, where the laws regarding homeschooling are not strict at all; I don't even think you have to file any paperwork. If anyone has any experience with homeschooling in Maine, or knows the processes and hardships, please inform us, we are looking for all the information we can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 03:38 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Try this site. I found it in a few minutes on Google.

http://www.homeschoolersofmaine.org/public/

Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Last week I spoke to 47 home schoolers in Bath, Maine about the events of April 19, 1775 when colonials stopped the Redcoats at the North Bridge in Concord, Mass. There is a very good home school network in Maine. My wife was a teacher for 40 years. She supported home schoolers for much of that time.

As the number of children declines, the number of students in schools decline. In 2009, Millinocket High School graduated 92 seniors. That September they enrolled 46 kindergarteners in Millinocket. That's half the class size and it is striking.

We love to have young families move to Maine and you will have a lot of support. We hope you stay, but be aware that there are people who don't want you here. Those are the people who want to see rural cleansing. It is just as bad as ethnic cleansing in places like Bosnia and Kosovo.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
... We hope you stay, but be aware that there are people who don't want you here. Those are the people who want to see rural cleansing. It is just as bad as ethnic cleansing in places like Bosnia and Kosovo.
What exactly is "rural cleansing?" And, once you define that, specifically, who are the people that want it?

Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Rural cleansing is the deliberate expulsion of a people from their homes and land, together with the prevention of people from living their dream of living in the country. This is accomplished by denial of services that support rural living and creating obstacles to the efficient use of property.

There is a long list of folks and organizations who want it. I have detailed some of their quotes on these pages in recent days. I have bookshelves of their hopes and dreams for us. I could cut and paste much into this thread, but I'm working. Feel free to browse.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:32 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Shakenwilliam -

We home-schooled our children.

Maine is among the best states in which to home-school.

You may wish to check out HSLDA: Homeschooling Advocates since 1983 they present how each state compares to all other states, and they provide legal support to help home-schoolers. We have used their services.

Quote:
... Do you need a college education and teacher certified in order to teach your kids in Maine?
We had both, however neither are needed in Maine.

Quote:
... Do I HAVE to stick to a curriculum, or can I teach my kid whatever I choose?
Whatever you choose.

There is a wide variety of options.

Now as a disclaimer, I need to say. We home-schooled five children, and moved around in the military through different states/nations. When we moved to Maine, only our youngest was still at home. He has mental development issues and he had pretty much hit a 'wall' with everything we tried. So we actually enrolled him in a highschool here, they 'tailored' a curriculum to him, and he was able to do the socializing part of the equation.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:34 AM

36 posts, read 56,524 times
Hi! We have always homeschooled our 5 children and moved all over the country during that time. Our oldest is 17, and the youngest is 2, so it's been quite a long journey. I wanted to point out that no matter what the laws are in Maine, you won't have to even register your child until he/she is 7 I think..let me check: Yes. on the HSLDA site it states age 7. I would not recommend registering your child until the absolute last second. Of course, start whenever you want to, but actually registering? No, wait until you must.
Maine laws are pretty benign compared to other states. All are doable, but Maine is pretty easy. I would also start to find homeschool groups now, to ask questions. At this point, you will become overwhelmed with curriculum ideas by the time you have to start and some even start feeling like it is going to be too difficult. Don't even go there yet. :-)
For a point of reference, in WY you have to send in a handwritten note saying you are going to homeschool. In MT, its a little bit more involved, but basically a letter of intent will do it. In NY there is lots of recordkeeping and blah de blah-it really depends on the school district you reside in for NY. In Nebraska where I currently have to be, I actually need a permission slip (notarized even) from my husband, stating that he knows I am homeschooling and have his approval. Not to mention the nitpicking and foolish questionnaire that I am required to fill out EVERY year. It is disgusting since NE public school are dismal-worse than dismal, and they are critical of us?
But I digress..Try not to overwhelm yourself with the details at this point. Just find a homeschooling group in the general location where you will be living in ME and go from there.

HTH,
Amy J

Old 05-16-2012, 05:07 PM

468 posts, read 758,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFarmingWife View Post
(Stuff snipped)

In Nebraska where I currently have to be, I actually need a permission slip (notarized even) from my husband, stating that he knows I am homeschooling and have his approval. Not to mention the nitpicking and foolish questionnaire that I am required to fill out EVERY year. It is disgusting since NE public school are dismal-worse than dismal, and they are critical of us?

HTH,
Amy J
So I have to ask, if the genders were reversed, that is, if your husband went to the school system and said he wanted to home school the kids, would they require a notarized letter from you?

Old 05-16-2012, 05:55 PM

36 posts, read 56,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltrams View Post
So I have to ask, if the genders were reversed, that is, if your husband went to the school system and said he wanted to home school the kids, would they require a notarized letter from you?
More than likely. It would still tighten my hair if I had to *prove* that I knew what my spouse was doing in my own home with our children. This state is horrendous.

Amy J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine