Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:54 AM

444 posts, read 928,448 times

Advertisements

My family moved from Round Rock, Texas to Old Town, Maine this summer. Why did we make such a huge move? My husband inherited his father's place, so we came here to fix it up, and to evaluate whether or not this is the place where our two young children will grow up.

It is very beautiful here. We are definitely looking forward to the winter, so that our kids can actually play in the snow instead of watching the snowflakes melt shortly after they hit the ground about one morning every two years in central Texas. Yes, I do know what winter is like...I moved about 300 miles north of Edmonton, Alberta when I landed my first job out of college...now that's some serious cold! (BUT it was a DRY cold )

We have met lots of very nice people here, but I must say (please don't take this wrong), there are some very unfriendly folks as well, who kind of act like you are bothering them if you even try to smile or make conversation (for example, receptionists in Doctor's offices). You almost get the feeling that when you leave they roll their eyes at each other...that kind of stuff. Just kind of cold-hearted. What is up with that? This is an honest question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 08:00 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,379,799 times
I can't speak for everyone, but I did live one town over from Old Town for Many years. There will always be some having a bad day (or a bad life ). I loved the area, and have many friends there. Just go to Hannafords, the people working thereare just terrific. Some people are surly by nature

Old 09-20-2007, 11:25 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,097,500 times
Try not to let it get to you. Some people really are like that, as msina said. There is a lady at our Drs office here and the only time I ever saw her smile was at the hospital Christmas party- ONCE!! and there's a lady at the grocery store here who I've been working on for 3 years now....she's older than dirt and never comes close to cracking a smile. I just keep on being as nice as can be, I think that gets to her!! I know that's not nice but I can't help myself. Good luck, and hopefully as you meet more people the grumps will seem fewer and farther between

Old 09-20-2007, 06:23 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
My family moved from Round Rock, Texas to Old Town, Maine this summer. ...
That is great!Welcome!I am in Old Town just about everyday!Our teen attends Old Town highschool.I will be missing the Farmer's Market this weekend, as I will be at the Fair, all three days. Come on out to the fair, I think that you will enjoy it. Common Grounds Fair, Unity Me.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:01 PM

46 posts, read 202,685 times
Hey Texas Mom. I want to make the move too. We currently live in Frisco, Texas--near to Dallas and have young kids also. I'm sorry you are having a hard go of it socially. I don't know, we have our share of the "never smiles" here too. I am so in love with the thought of Maine currently. You will have to post more so I can read how things are there. Our main deal is the job situation getting transfers or gainful employment. How is housing there compared to Round Rock?

Old 09-20-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you msina, mollysmiles, and forest beekeeper for your responses. There are a lot of friendly people here (on this forum), and I have met a lot of really sweet people around town in my day-to-day life. I guess I was having a bad day today. It may be that I need to get used to regional differences. People here seem to be a lot more "to the point" or "abrupt" than I'm used to. I know this is a sweeping generalization, but it is something that takes some adjustment.

Worried'n'FRISCO - It is a drastic change from Texas. I do not miss the Austin traffic AT ALL, but I do miss my multicultural neighborhood in suburbia...guess it's a comfort zone thing. Maine is absolutely spectacular, but it is a whole different ball game. It's quirky, beautiful, and actually kind of ominous or mysterious to me. I know that sounds strange...it's the way I'm feeling right now. Homes are actually similar in price to Round Rock, and the property tax rate here in the City of Old Town is a little less than the atrociously high property tax rates generally found in Texas. You really have to experience Maine yourself to know how you feel about it. The Bangor area (where I live) has a lot of reasonably priced housing, but I think the housing market further south (Portland and surrounding areas) is becoming out of reach for many people. There are a lot of people on this forum who know much more about Maine than I do, though. I've only been here for a little while.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:29 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
People here seem to be a lot more "to the point" or "abrupt" than I'm used to. I know this is a sweeping generalization, but it is something that takes some adjustment.

Worried'n'FRISCO - It is a drastic change from Texas. I do not miss the Austin traffic AT ALL, but I do miss my multicultural neighborhood in suburbia...guess it's a comfort zone thing. Maine is absolutely spectacular, but it is a whole different ball game. It's quirky, beautiful, and actually kind of ominous or mysterious to me.
You know, I actually moved out here (to the East Coast, not Maine in particular) because of that 'to the point' attitude. I gerw up in California, where such a vibe is common place, then spent a decade in the Midwest pulling my hair out in frustration over 'Minnesota Nice'. I couldn't take it any more and wanted to be around people who actually said what they meant, not what they think that you want to hear.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:00 AM

136 posts, read 327,592 times
K-Luv,

I couldn't agree more, having grown up in PA and going to undergrad in NJ. I am looking forward to getting away from the passive aggressive culture here in MN and getting back to where people say what they mean and you deal with it. I do get some "practice" in with my friends from NJ, and will be in NJ this weekend, so I'll get a dose of "to the point" for a couple of days.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:45 AM

What is "Minnesota nice"?

Old 09-21-2007, 10:51 AM

136 posts, read 327,592 times
Minnesota Nice is how people describe the niceness of the people here - it is meant to be a positive statement. People here are very polite and will go out of their way not to offend, and are quick to offer a helping hand. I have heard Seattle hospitality described as "a mile wide and an inch deep," and I would say Minnesota is similar. You won't have much luck getting to know people well - interactions tend to be superficial and pleasant.

What do you think, K-luv?

I know that the MN forum has had discussions on this very topic, so if you are curious about what others think you could search over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine