Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:08 AM

3 posts, read 4,258 times

Advertisements

The FHA has a new requirement that an engineer provide a survey report before HUD will ok a mortgage. Does anyone know how to find such an engineer in central Maine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 09:02 AM

468 posts, read 758,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytee22 View Post
The FHA has a new requirement that an engineer provide a survey report before HUD will ok a mortgage. Does anyone know how to find such an engineer in central Maine?
CES is a big engineering firm, but they might be able to lend an opinion just the same.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:13 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,226,483 times
This is not new and it's not going to be easy. I've had buyers pass on these properties rather than try to do what you're looking at.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:20 AM

468 posts, read 758,927 times
It seems to me it would just be easier to abandon the dug well and drill a new one using a well company, permit, etc.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:22 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
Old time Mainers had two wells, one for the house and one for the barn. From the time they were able to lift a bucket, children were told to never use the barn bucket in the house well and vice vera. Those old timers knew what worked.

I have seen a lot of homes sold with dug wells and have never heard of a bank refusing a loan because a home had a dug well.

I know a lot of engineers since my family is full of them. I don't know of any engineer who would sign off on a dug well or certify it in any way other than a passing water potability test. This boondoggle is going to be worse than the vernal pool rule.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have seen a lot of homes sold with dug wells and have never heard of a bank refusing a loan because a home had a dug well.
Dug wells are prohibited by loans backed by FHA unless an exception is made as the OP has mentioned. This is from the FHA website:

Properties served by dug wells are unacceptable unless a complete survey
conducted by an engineer is delivered to the lender. To be considered
acceptable, the engineer’s survey must include these items:
i. A health report with no qualifications
ii. A pump test indicating a flow of at least 3-5 gallons per minute
supply for an existing well, and 5 gallons per minute for a new
well.
iii. No indication of exposure to environmental contamination,
mechanical chlorination or anything else that adversely affects
health and safety

Most buyers aren't willing to wait for a seller to perform this exercise and elect to move on to a house with a drilled well or public water. Agents who list properties with dug wells should share this information with their clients before putting the house on the market.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:11 PM

This is news to me. I had never heard of it before. How long has this been in effect?

It reminds me of the legislator a few terms back who put in a bill that any house sold in Maine had to have a chimney inspection by a certified chimney inspector using a video camera that is lowered down the chimney. It was all for the safety of homebuyers.

It turns out that the only person in Maine with such certification and equipment was the legislator's brother-in-law. The bill was promptly withdrawn.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
This is news to me. I had never heard of it before. How long has this been in effect?

It reminds me of the legislator a few terms back who put in a bill that any house sold in Maine had to have a chimney inspection by a certified chimney inspector using a video camera that is lowered down the chimney. It was all for the safety of homebuyers.

It turns out that the only person in Maine with such certification and equipment was the legislator's brother-in-law. The bill was promptly withdrawn.
After the mortgage meltdown of 2007, we started looking at FHA again as it is the only option for many who don't have a large down payment. As long as I've been working with FHA guaranteed loans, this rule has been in effect. When buyers do a little bit of research about dug vs. drilled wells, they tend to move away from the dug wells.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:15 PM

642 posts, read 1,256,533 times
My dad is a dowser and dug many a well with his backhoe including my first well which never went dry and produced excellent, and safe water. Only three tiles deep, too.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:32 PM

I was replacing the foot valve at the bottom of a dug well and standing on an aluminum ladder when I heard a clap of thunder. I came up that ladder like a rocket taking off. Talk about a potential lightning rod!

Whew! I waited for blue sky before finishing that job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: