Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:46 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man
It's a sad day for Northern Maine. Governor LePage just signed the LURC bill. Much more to follow.
Wow that isnt good at all!!

I hope you guys STAND UP and try and get it reversed!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 03:44 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Never fear, Fourleafclover; Less than one percent of LURC territory is zoned for development and Maine is gaining forest every year. The srory that we are losing any forest or habitat is a myth. We have net gains everywhere. We are also losing homes and camps faster than we are gaining them. There is a name for all of this. It is rural cleansing. It is real and it is increasing.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:57 PM

325 posts, read 705,764 times
For once I agree with something LePage has done.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:08 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Lanctot View Post
For once I agree with something LePage has done.
There was a movement afoot to try to shutdown LURC. Many Mainers had seen LURC become: too powerful, out-of-touch from Mainers, and under the control of out-of-state environmental lobbyiests.

The adaptation of the latest CLUP reads mostly like an environmentalist's dream. Which is fine so long as everyone is okay with being forced to leave the UTs.

As NMLM has stated many times many of these people have been living in Maine for multiple generations.

To force someone from his/her home via Eminent Domain is one thing, at least they get paid for it. But forcing everyone out of the UTs by way of zoning, is messed up.

The effort to shut it down entirely failed. Such is politics.

But changes have been made. In it's place, 'they' have been stripped of power over forestry and windmills.

'They' have been booted out of Augusta.

'They' are forced to now have one member to represent each county [which is far different from representing the highest paying lobbyiests].

Best of all they are forced to amend their policies to include human presence.

I think that LePage has done a good job in this topic.

Maybe in the future, when they print up a new CLUP, they will mail it to everyone owning land in Maine, and not restrict the mailing to only out-of-state land-owners. Like LURC did with the previous CLUP.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 PM

One percent, forest beekeeper, one percent. That's what they have zoned for development. Did you catch the brass ring? Is your land in the one percent? Too bad for those who own land in the other 99% not zoned for development.

I went to a meeting in Grand Lake Stream about 15 years ago when the environmental industry was promoting the idea of the Down East Lakes Biosphere. They wanted no development. I told them it was bad for the people who live here. They indignantly asked what I wanted. I was glad they asked.

I want my grandson to have the same rights and privileges that my grandfather had. I want him to be able to build a camp. I want him to be able to build a boathouse in the lake if he wants one. I watched a boathouse built in the lake. It didn't hurt the lake one bit and the fishing was better then.

The elite environmentalists are always horrified at liberty. They always have been.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
One percent, forest beekeeper, one percent. That's what they have zoned for development. Did you catch the brass ring? Is your land in the one percent? Too bad for those who own land in the other 99% not zoned for development.
I understand what happened to Plum Creek and how out-of-state environmentalists raped Mainers.

I get it.

Now the calendar pages fill by and time marches on.

The LURC who did that no longer exists.

MLUPC will be under a different set of directions [for a few years until out-of-state deep pockets can once again wrest control from Mainers].

Quote:
... I went to a meeting in Grand Lake Stream about 15 years ago when the environmental industry was promoting the idea of the Down East Lakes Biosphere. They wanted no development. I told them it was bad for the people who live here. They indignantly asked what I wanted. I was glad they asked.

I want my grandson to have the same rights and privileges that my grandfather had. I want him to be able to build a camp. I want him to be able to build a boathouse in the lake if he wants one. I watched a boathouse built in the lake. It didn't hurt the lake one bit and the fishing was better then.

The elite environmentalists are always horrified at liberty. They always have been.
Yes. I know, we see their hand at work in the current CLUP [which is soon to be re-written].

The war will never be won, it will wage on and on, until that day when we all hear the Trump of the Lord sounding.

This day a battle was won.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:08 PM

"MLUPC will be under a different set of directions [for a few years until out-of-state deep pockets can once again wrest control from Mainers]."

There will be two more members as vacancies occur, but the hated CLUP remains. It's in the law. Sorry to see you think a battle was won. Most of us lost; big time. By statute, the CLUP is supposed to be updated every 10 years. They liked the last one so much they kept it for 14 years.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:30 PM

This bill mandates that the CLUP be re-written to include their new focus.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:19 PM

33 posts, read 66,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Never fear, Fourleafclover; Less than one percent of LURC territory is zoned for development and Maine is gaining forest every year. The srory that we are losing any forest or habitat is a myth. We have net gains everywhere. We are also losing homes and camps faster than we are gaining them. There is a name for all of this. It is rural cleansing. It is real and it is increasing.
I have been going up into the north Maine woods for almost sixty years. Around allagash lake,chamberlian,Foley, and the west branch. If someone can't see the increase of camps, garbage, campers hidden in the woods and just the general deterioration of that area then there not looking. When the paper companies owned it they kept it good it was in their interest!Something has to be done with it if MONEY get a hold of it it will be gone. If you haven't spent a week or so way back in the woods alone or with your childern where there are no camp sites or anything just nature you'll never know what you'll lose but it will be gone and you'll never get it back. But then some people will build a big multi dollar camp that they'll go to for 4or 5 days a year but can tell all their friends what a great camp they have in the North Maine wood and what trouble they have keeping the local scum out!! Then the signs will go up-- NO TRESPASSING--

Old 05-26-2012, 07:27 PM

216 posts, read 645,474 times
Default My Friends in Maine

My father-in law ran a hunting camp out of Hancock County for 40 years. The main lodge house had trophy deer and moose heads mounted on the walls.

The Republicans WILL take away your hunting rights!

Save Wisconsin Deer Hunting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine