Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:13 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post

As far as putt putting on the interstate system, you can get away with it in most of Maine, but you are a major traffic hazard in most of the country. Where I moved from, you will get blasted by horns, waved at by middle fingers, and are likely to arouse "road rage" if you get out on the super slab. My advice, if all you want to do is 55-60, stay OFF the interstates, and take state and federal highways.

Example, if you tried that on I-81, all you would see would be semi truck grills in your rear view mirror. I know, I made the trip pulling a Uhaul, and can tell you the make and year of most any semi on the road today---only by looking at the grill and front bumper.
Since I've slowed down, and traded my speedbike for a V-Twin cruiser I've ridden many of the interstates east of the Rockies (including I-81)...and I tend to do it leaned way back on whatever might be strapped to the back of my seat, with my legs up on the highway bars (big feet sticking out to either side of the front wheel), cup of coffee and/or a cigarette in my left hand and two fingers (and a thumb on the 'cruise assist') on the right handlebar at 50-55mph. Not too many people blast their horns at me, those that do get to see *my* finger. I *do* get a passing fair amount of smiles, waves and 'thumbs-up' from hot chicks in cars though...

(Worst hazard on 81 for me was all the foolish deer. Never seen more deer on a highway than 81 in PA.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 03:16 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
[quote=beltrams;24670597]
Yes, the highways were designed with 70 mph in mind, quote]

Not true. Many freeways had speed limits posted above 70 back in the 1960s and early 70s. Nevada and Montana had "reasonable and prudent" limits on their freeways.

Americans used to drive 75-90mph on freeways before the 55mph nonsense started.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:26 PM

Also, many states have 65mph limits on 2-lane roads. So a freeway should be allowing faster speeds than that.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:32 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Maine had 70mph freeway speed limits before the 55 limit. Why is raising speed limits back to where they should be even an issue? If you don't want to drive 75+, stay in the right lane.
Apparently it's not an issue, as we've seen in this thread. We're in the right lane even at 75 mph except to pass. The stretch with the 75 mph limit is remote. There are few vehicles on the road and little need to be in the passing lane.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:49 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
I was thinking of buying a plug-in but I don't want to run a car on coal.

I've recently driven across the country on my bike, in my car and a truck with trailer. I like the states with the 75 mph limits. It makes sense to me. I have no problem with respectable speeding vs. abusive speeding.

The times I've been on the Maine pike, people seem to drive correctly. Meaning, they drive in the right lane and get back to the right lane after passing. Most of the country does this except when you hit California. They park in the left lane out here in the left coast. I personally believe this is the case because there are so many international drivers out here.

Plus, Texas has a stretch of highway at 85 mph now. A friend on another forum said that he sets his cruise at 93 mph now and he still gets passed.

Last edited by RMoore007; 06-09-2012 at 05:10 PM..

Old 06-09-2012, 06:43 PM

468 posts, read 758,629 times
[quote=ram2;24672542]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltrams View Post
Yes, the highways were designed with 70 mph in mind, quote]

Not true. Many freeways had speed limits posted above 70 back in the 1960s and early 70s. Nevada and Montana had "reasonable and prudent" limits on their freeways.

Americans used to drive 75-90mph on freeways before the 55mph nonsense started.
Yes, I know speed limits were all over the place, but my point was is that all the limits were arbitrarily set compromises. That is, there was no absolute design rule telling engineers or the law where to set a speed limit.

There are more guidelines now, but in the end it's still an arbitrary thing based on somebody's choice.

Just because designers said a road was designed for a certain speed, in the end, doesn't make it any more than their opinion based on the prevailing values of the time and such things are open to change.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:03 PM

[quote=beltrams;24674785]
Quote:

Yes, I know speed limits were all over the place, but my point was is that all the limits were arbitrarily set compromises. That is, there was no absolute design rule telling engineers or the law where to set a speed limit.

There are more guidelines now, but in the end it's still an arbitrary thing based on somebody's choice.

Just because designers said a road was designed for a certain speed, in the end, doesn't make it any more than their opinion based on the prevailing values of the time and such things are open to change.

Speed limits are SUPPOSED to be set based on 85th percentile measured vehicle speeds as measured by traffic engineers.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:59 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,851 times
I agree with a previous poster. Cars are computer designed now days to absorb terrific impacts, and keep the passenger cabin intact. Airbags, seat belts, and ABS continue to make cars even safer. The next generation of autos will have collision avoidance systems, which will make collisions almost impossible. I look forward to the day that the car can drive itself. When that happens we might actually see more people taking mass transportation in the cities.

America has way too much open space for the auto to fade into history.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:12 PM

468 posts, read 758,629 times
[quote=ram2;24675610]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltrams View Post

Speed limits are SUPPOSED to be set based on 85th percentile measured vehicle speeds as measured by traffic engineers.
So what you're now saying is that new speed limits aren't set until a road is up and built and we can measure the speed of the cars already on that new road?

'Still sounds pretty subjective to me

Old 06-15-2012, 03:42 PM

[quote=beltrams;24736856]
Quote:

So what you're now saying is that new speed limits aren't set until a road is up and built and we can measure the speed of the cars already on that new road?

'Still sounds pretty subjective to me

Traffic engineers are SUPPOSED to set speed limits based on measured 85th percentile vehicle speeds, not local politicians or law enforcement for revenue generation purposes.

Are you saying the old 55mph freeway speed limit was properly set even though most drivers ignored it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine