Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 05:24 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times

Advertisements

Hubby is pretty much dead set against buying at a time when we can't be up there. Saw this one online and would love to have his 3rd cousin or the ever fabulous mollysmiles take a peek so we could put in a bid. I told him we could hire the house sitter folks to watch. He is not an early riser, but got up just for a moment and I pounced, "Honey there's one for $39K that looks in decent shape."

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 05:38 AM

BTW, this is only about a 5 minute walk to corgis.. not sure about miss mollysmiles' summer home maybe 10 or so.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:01 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Hubby is pretty much dead set against buying at a time when we can't be up there. Saw this one online and would love to have his 3rd cousin or the ever fabulous mollysmiles take a peek so we could put in a bid. I told him we could hire the house sitter folks to watch. He is not an early riser, but got up just for a moment and I pounced, "Honey there's one for $39K that looks in decent shape."

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

Any thoughts?

Is that the house on Orange St? I saw it walking this summer and it's a cute house, some water problems especially the kitchen ceiling so I don't know if the roof leaks or if it's been fixed. Maybe Molly can get someone to check it out for you. Looks like a really good deal.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:50 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
Oh, I do know that house, and yes, Corgis is right, it's on Orange Street, which is the one up behind the Catholic Church. I don't know much about the house at all I know it's an older home, it's been there for a long time. I'll see what I can find out....Dramamama, have you thought of contacting a buyer's agent to see what you can find out too? I know of one and can DM you with his name and number....I've never worked with one but know that the idea is that your buyer's agent can provide you with more information than the seller's agent. Anyway, I'll see what I can find out.....Corgis may be right about the leakage too, usually when people around town start hearing things like that it's because it's true

Old 09-23-2007, 09:28 AM

dramama - take a look at the picture of the kitchen ceiling in Due East's listing. I'm thinking there's a large brown spot just visible.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
dramama - take a look at the picture of the kitchen ceiling in Due East's listing. I'm thinking there's a large brown spot just visible.
K, thanks much corgis I'll check it out! I'm thinking even with a need to replace the roof it may still be a steal. Mollysmiles, could you DM with that caontact info for the buyer's agent just in case. I will also have hubby's cousin check it out if he's on board.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:36 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
That kitchen ceiling looks bad. It appears to be sagging. That's some major reno work, not to mention, replacing the leaking roof that probably caused it. If you could get the money with your deal to make the repairs, it may not be an issue for you. You hire a contractor and a couple of weeks later you're done. Depends on what level of involvement you desire with a new purchase like that.

Maybe Molly could go check it out further in person. (Don't you love the way I'm volunteering you, M?!) You know they have to disclose any issues the property has, and I'm sure she could get right to the bottom of it in one quick visit!

Old 09-23-2007, 09:43 AM

Thanks for volunteering there Molly. I really appreciate it. I may need the name of a reliable contractor though.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
That kitchen ceiling looks bad. It appears to be sagging. That's some major reno work, not to mention, replacing the leaking roof that probably caused it. If you could get the money with your deal to make the repairs, it may not be an issue for you. You hire a contractor and a couple of weeks later you're done. Depends on what level of involvement you desire with a new purchase like that.

Maybe Molly could go check it out further in person. (Don't you love the way I'm volunteering you, M?!) You know they have to disclose any issues the property has, and I'm sure she could get right to the bottom of it in one quick visit!
"You hire a contractor and a couple of weeks later you're done." Just have to giggle at that sentence. Contractors in Eastport don't work that fast. But we do have a new contractor that does architecturally correct restorations in Eastport. Hope he's better than the last two contractors who took months to finish a room.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:52 AM

Saw the leak and water damage..guess it depends on how much they're wanting to haggle given that, but even with a roof and ceiling repair at the Eastport pace Miss M , it should be ready when we can come up next. Which will be tons sooner if we have a house!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine