Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:55 PM

47,851 posts, read 21,876,869 times

Advertisements

The talk of relative wealth reminds me...
When I was a kids we used to sing:

"The rich man rides in an aeroplane
The poor man rides on the train
The hobo follows the railroad track....
But he gets there just the same."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 01:31 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,856,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I seem to recall that we have seen posters here, who had retired with pensions over $100k/year came to Maine and bought a cottage in MDI. So they could rub elbows with the Rockefellers and see how the lower class lives.

As a pensioner myself, I sometimes skim through the 'retirement' sub-forum here at City-Data. There seems to be a lot of folks retiring these days with large pensions, they think nothing of buying a retirement home for $3M, but seem uneasy about how to live such a frugal lifestyle.

Maine is an interesting mixture.

I agree.

It does no good to hold resentment.

I choose the path that my life took me. I must learn to be content therein. [I had first written that with 'you's and 'us's; then changed it to 'I' statements]

Maine offers great beauty, nature, peacefulness; and the chance to live happy with a low Cost-Of-Living [COL].

Maine is a place where families are allowed to live life free from being entangled in the 'need' to earn $200+k/year. I have friends who are still entangled in lifestyles where any less than $100k/year would bankrupt them.

Our society has some extremely high COL areas; and we have a few areas where $20k/year is plenty to raise a family on. Whether your COL is high or whether it is low, which option gives a person stress and which gives the chance for happiness?
Hi forest

The OP wanted to know if rich people (not Maine natives) buying land on the coast was an issue. Elston mentioned tension and resentment in his post. It may not do any good to hold resentment, but I understand why it exists.

You think Maine's cost of living is low. Maybe it is compared to the Mid-Atlantic states, California, and Hawaii....maybe even Connecticut. I know plenty of native Mainers who think Maine's cost of living is high. I guess we're back to the word "relative."

Stress can be present with lower or higher incomes....maybe different kinds of stress.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 06-20-2012 at 01:39 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 05:34 PM

I hold absolutely no resentment......life has blessed me in many ways including financially, but also spiritually, family, options and choices.....I am living a life beyond my imagination only 20 years ago. I wasnt speaking of any resentment I was holding.

I just think it is insensitive to act as if everyone has the same financial resources.....and/or to act in a manner that makes them feel "less than". I hope those who come with greater resources are sensitive and respectful of others.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:56 PM

908 posts, read 1,112,561 times
I had some Texans in a huge Tahoe pull out casually in front of me on a state road last weekend. I'm going 60, slam on my brakes...they coast at 15, no urge to accelerate. I lay on the horn (in true NYer style )

They just went 20 mph and gestured to me. I passed them the next chance, big grin on my face as I drove by. They acted as if they owned the road.

Those are the types of things that I would assume lead Mainers to resentment. Absolutely inconsiderate. I know if it was my hometown and that happened from some out-of-stater I'd start thinking different about that region.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,373,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataTracker View Post
Are there many rich people, who are not originally from Maine, buying and developing houses on the Maine coastlines? If so, how do Mainers feel about this?

I have a friend who lives near the coast of Maine and says that this is an issue.
To me, the issue would be........rich people are coming to Maine? I have nothing against rich people. I have nothing against people who are not from Maine. They are taxpayers, spenders, travelers, explorers and livers of all things Maine. I think Maine can handle a little bit more population and if they be rich, I just can't see the downside. There are some posters here who complain about all the people coming to this state for MaineCare. Isn't this the opposite.

Anyways, it's already been noted that if one can afford a home on the coast, they are relatively rich compared to the average Mainer who doesn't have a home on the coast. Who cares really? Unless one is filled with envy, class warfare or resentment. Which is really a waste of time to most people that I know in Maine and on this forum.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:53 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,856,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I hold absolutely no resentment......life has blessed me in many ways including financially, but also spiritually, family, options and choices.....I am living a life beyond my imagination only 20 years ago. I wasnt speaking of any resentment I was holding.

I just think it is insensitive to act as if everyone has the same financial resources.....and/or to act in a manner that makes them feel "less than". I hope those who come with greater resources are sensitive and respectful of others.
Hi Elston Just to clarify I didn't believe that you personally held resentment toward anyone, nor did I mean to imply it. Sorry for any miscommunication.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 06-20-2012 at 08:04 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 PM

Smile No Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Hi Elston Just to clarify I didn't believe that you personally held resentment toward anyone, nor did I mean to imply it. Sorry for any miscommunication.
I just thought I had been inarticulate about what I was trying to say. I think I need to back off this thread....But no apology is necessary....no offense taken.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:40 PM

37,223 posts, read 60,947,942 times
Quote:
Hi forest

The OP wanted to know if rich people (not Maine natives) buying land on the coast was an issue.
I am not a Maine native and I am one of those people who bought land in Maine. Having moved around so much during my career, I have been very glad to have found a place with such a low COL.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:02 PM

404 posts, read 774,442 times
Quote:
Hi Elston: I agree with your BMW vs. Lexus comparison. When I saw the post about Falmouth or Cape Elizabeth schools, I thought....be thankful that you can afford to live in either place and that your kids will be able to go to school anywhere in Maine...If they are so concerned about the education of their children, maybe they should investigate Maine School of Science and Math...some think that school offers educational advantages.

Why do you guys do this? why do you assume all neighborhoods in Cape Elizabeth or Falmouth are the upper crust. I don't drive a Lexus or BMW neither do any of my neighbors, more like a 2005 mazda 3. If the poster your referring has a job prospect in Portland, wouldn't the commute to the Maine school of science and math be a bit far? Sure there are expensive homes here, but they're not all expensive. Please don't attack where other people live, if you don't have first hand knowledge of it.

As for the OPs question, yes its unfortunate when all the ocean front property is Priced way out of reach, and even gives some nice towns an reputation of being rich and snobby. But isn't this the case all up and down the eastern and western seaboard? Where I grew up in NJ, there were some very expensive houses along Ocean Ave, but a few blocks in is where the middle class lived. We enjoyed the beach and the area and the Location. Its the same here.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:02 PM

30,133 posts, read 23,520,254 times
For the most part, I would say Maine does have a low COL. However, that is not the case in all areas, apparently...that or the guy is smoking some serious grass:

Near where I live, a sign is up. For Sale: 38 acres $89,000

WHAT?

No! Way!

Over two grand an acre? Good Lord, even in FL or WA state, (west coast of it), where the cost of living is higher than Maine one can find acres of land for much cheaper than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine