Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:28 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I carry five orange vests in my truck during October and November. It is the responsible thing to do.

I was sitting on a ridge a few years ago and saw something brown moving fast through the woods. It was a guy on a mountain bike and wearing a brown sweater. That is foolhardy to do in November. Some hunters have no experience in the woods. A lady was killed several years ago near Bangor. A hunter saw some deer and didn't have a clear shot. Then he saw brown and white. He fired and killed a homeowner. The lady was wearing brown and had on white mittens. There were deer tracks on the scene, but the hunter was terribly wrong.

Wear a flourescent vest if you go into the woods during deer season. It isn't stupid.
I remember the one about the lady with the white mittens. Some people should just not be allowed in the woods with a gun. Hunter Safety should be mandatory for everyone that wasn't born there. How bout' the people that go in with the attitude "if it's brown, it's down".
Lets not forget to mention to put the hunter orange collars on your dogs as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 08:37 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
Hunting is huge in Texas as well. And I don't care how much training the guys have, when you have a bunch of men running around the woods heavily armed and, eight out of ten drinking, it's a dangerous situation. It's just the same as learning to drive - WE are responsible for our own defense - granted I do hope the hunters will look 6 times and shoot once, but if I'm wearing brown, well, stupid me!!

Old 09-30-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Hunting is huge in Texas as well. And I don't care how much training the guys have, when you have a bunch of men running around the woods heavily armed and, eight out of ten drinking, it's a dangerous situation. It's just the same as learning to drive - WE are responsible for our own defense - granted I do hope the hunters will look 6 times and shoot once, but if I'm wearing brown, well, stupid me!!

I don't think that drinking while hunting in Maine is the norm. At least not in the circles I've traveled in. Thank god!

Old 09-30-2007, 09:16 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
An orange vest or hat is almost a requirment, depending on where you are walking. Good idea.

"Treehuger"...More likley than not, a hyphenated last name, granola chrunchin', Volvo driving, busybody, often, but not always, living off a trust fund.

The female of the species often wears winter clothes in the summer and a large hat. The males are often seen wearing $200 sunglasses, a ponytail down to the waist, sporting LL Bean shorts and wearing some sort of weird looking bush hat and looks like he crawled out of the Kalahari Desert in South Africa from a Meerkat expedition.

Their identity can be further confirmed by the fact they have yet to remove the Kerry-Edwards sticker from their bumper, and probably have the hate Bush or Greenpeace thing on there also. The presence of a Thule rack or Kevlar kayaks on the roof of the Volvo or Forester, in conjunction with the above objective observations are often enough for preliminary confirmation.

In order to be sure, you have to gather some subjective evidence. To do this, you have to stalk up and strike up a conversation with them. If they refer to a jungle as a 'rain forest,' Maine as a 'wilderness,' 'old growth, 'primeval,' or IN ANY WAY talk about Lynx or Wolf habitat, your suspicions are confirmed!

You can check the Fish and Game website for open seasons.

Sorry if lumped anyone into the objective category who might just be comfortable wearing or driving that stuff. I'm on the verge of ranting. I have a business and deal with these people all the time.

Oh well, a friend dropped off a moose heat and some tenderloin today! It should just about be ready to take out of the oven. You haven't lived until you've had braised stuffed moose heart and french fries! Yummmm!
LOL

Good post!

Very nicely written

Old 09-30-2007, 11:11 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
I remember the one about the lady with the white mittens. Some people should just not be allowed in the woods with a gun. Hunter Safety should be mandatory for everyone that wasn't born there. How bout' the people that go in with the attitude "if it's brown, it's down".
Lets not forget to mention to put the hunter orange collars on your dogs as well!
Oh, I remember that dreadful sad story. It was a mom, right? Shot outside of Bangor by hunters who thought she was a deer. She did not take the necessary precaution of wearing the standard orange during hunting season when out in the woods or a field. Tragic.

Must have been about 12- 13 years ago.....

Good advice about the dog collars, too.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:12 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,942 times
Smile he he he!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Well, my sunglasses cost a bit more, but my bumper sticker says "Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car than I with my "assault" rifle."
LOL!

I hunt with a pre ban H&K 91 myself. The wardens get a little curious from time to time and inspect my 4 round mags. To really get them going, I pull out the 30 rounders from the glove box and their eyes light up as they warm me not to use them!

Just to clarify, seeing someone thinks I'm an idiot, in order to to be a tree hugger, you must meet all the criteria in my previous post, as we all fall into one or more of the objective or subjective categories. They just describe the typical tree hugging moonbat.

Never ask a man if he's a Mainer. If he is, he'll tell ya. If he ain't, ya don't want to embarrass him.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:19 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
I think "true" Mainers are easy to spot....or maybe what I should say is what I've been thinking....those faking their "Mainer" status are easy to spot!!

Old 09-30-2007, 02:25 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
i enjoy hunting ,,with family,,,but not going to camp with the guys,,,,use to turn into a big drunk,, kinda reminds me of a song..

IT'S THE SECOND WEEK OF DEER CAMP
AND ALL THE GUYS ARE HERE
WE DRINK PLAY CARDS AND SHOOT THE BULL
BUT NEVER SHOOT NO DEER
THE ONLY TIME WE LEAVE THE CAMP
IS WHEN WE GO FOR BEER
THE SECOND WEEK OF DEER CAMP
IS THE GREATEST TIME OF YEAR

Old 09-30-2007, 02:29 PM

I've heard that one and always loved it!

Old 09-30-2007, 02:52 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i enjoy hunting ,,with family,,,but not going to camp with the guys,,,,use to turn into a big drunk,, kinda reminds me of a song..

IT'S THE SECOND WEEK OF DEER CAMP
AND ALL THE GUYS ARE HERE
WE DRINK PLAY CARDS AND SHOOT THE BULL
BUT NEVER SHOOT NO DEER
THE ONLY TIME WE LEAVE THE CAMP
IS WHEN WE GO FOR BEER
THE SECOND WEEK OF DEER CAMP
IS THE GREATEST TIME OF YEAR
Sounds like the guys around here. The cases of beer go into the truck right between the rifles and the sleeping bags!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine