Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,687 times

Advertisements

I am hoping someone can help me out here. I currently reside in the Pacific NorthWest and have never been to Maine. HOWEVER... I have an opportunity to work in the Richmond-Dresden area. Right now, I'm planning on flying out there, as it's a seasonal offer. I plan on staying in a hotel for the duration of my stay, so housing really isn't an issue, unless I can find a furnished apartment that's willing to rent to me on a short-term lease. What I'm REALLY having issues with are finding info on city buses. I'll be working near the Kennebec River bridge, that links Richmond and Dresden. I'm needing city transportation to that area. Anyone have any helpful info? I really don't care what city/town I stay in, as long as it has city buses of some sort that can get me to at least walking distance of that bridge. HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 03:27 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnete View Post
I am hoping someone can help me out here. I currently reside in the Pacific NorthWest and have never been to Maine. HOWEVER... I have an opportunity to work in the Richmond-Dresden area. Right now, I'm planning on flying out there, as it's a seasonal offer. I plan on staying in a hotel for the duration of my stay, so housing really isn't an issue, unless I can find a furnished apartment that's willing to rent to me on a short-term lease. What I'm REALLY having issues with are finding info on city buses. I'll be working near the Kennebec River bridge, that links Richmond and Dresden. I'm needing city transportation to that area. Anyone have any helpful info? I really don't care what city/town I stay in, as long as it has city buses of some sort that can get me to at least walking distance of that bridge. HELP!!
id call the richmond town office and ask them

keep in mind richmond only has around 3k population- bring a bike- it's green, healthy, and cheap, and most of richmond's amenities and so called mainstreet is only minutes of walking or riding a bike

richmond is still one of those towns- you can go there today, or 30 yrs ago, and nothing has changed much-ive always liked richmond

although it sounds like they are getting a new bridge

Old 07-04-2012, 07:34 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
I was just in Richmond. It does not look like the kind of town that has a bus system, as the downtown is only a few blocks long. I would get or rent a motor scooter. If you're there in winter, that would be a problem. I would suggest getting a room quite near where you will be working. Also the buildings downtown look like they could have efficiencies up over the store fronts. Contact a rental agent or look on Craigslist but as always be careful on Craigslist and send no money, and be sure to meet the landlord in some public place for the first time. There's a great little cafe downtown across from the river.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:48 PM

534 posts, read 904,372 times
I used to live in Richmond and thought the world of the place.
There is no city bus, but if your working near the bridge, one could easily walk to there from the town. Though there weren't any sidewalks towards the bridge. Everything in rchmond is within walking distance. The Railway Cafe is a great place to eat. The Old Goat is a pub with food. There is a general store (Pierces) which offers groceries, ect. The library is near the fire department. The town has a police department and a town office where you can get automobile registration, ect.
For housing look at the Times Record (newspaper) which lists rentals. Also you can contact Main St. Oil which manages a lot of properties in Richmond.
Good luck and enjoy your opportunity there, with luck I will be back there soon to stay.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,687 times
Thanks for the responses! Some very helpful information.
Are there any larger towns nearby? Getting a bicycle isn't a problem as long as I'm not riding 15+ miles! LOL

Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnete View Post
Thanks for the responses! Some very helpful information.
Are there any larger towns nearby? Getting a bicycle isn't a problem as long as I'm not riding 15+ miles! LOL
you can order one from online and it will be delivered where ever you want

south of richmond, by about 10 miles is topsham, they must have a place to buy a bike

north of richmond is gardiner.....about 8 miles (on rt 24 its a pretty ride- follows the kennebec river)
ya know, I dont think you can buy a bike in gardiner,,,,,thats sad- think its the walmart affect (walmart in augusta)

id be ordering one from ebay-or try maine craigslist, maybe someone is selling one in richmond....

Old 07-05-2012, 06:09 AM

534 posts, read 904,372 times
Crazy idea. But I believe that if one was inclined you could fine nearby campsites, buy some camping gear and live on the cheap for the season and go back to your home the richer for it...we're it me, I would look at that, but I'm given to that sort of adventure.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:22 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you can order one from online and it will be delivered where ever you want

south of richmond, by about 10 miles is topsham, they must have a place to buy a bike

north of richmond is gardiner.....about 8 miles (on rt 24 its a pretty ride- follows the kennebec river)
ya know, I dont think you can buy a bike in gardiner,,,,,thats sad- think its the walmart affect (walmart in augusta)

id be ordering one from ebay-or try maine craigslist, maybe someone is selling one in richmond....

If you can afford it, look into buying a folding bike (German- or Swiss-made). I am older and can handle it really well. It's extremely sturdy and light enough, when folded, to carry or put into a car. I had to replace the seat for a soft cushioned one, but I have to say love it.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:44 PM

15 posts, read 16,481 times
I graduated from high school in Richmond, Maine..so lived there for a number of years.2 of my sisters and my Mom still live there. There is No hotel, so you would have to make arrangements for a living space before you arrived....just a little reminder..might be bed and breakfast places in nearby Gardiner, or a hotel in August, for sure..for you..

Old 07-07-2012, 12:46 PM

15 posts, read 16,481 times
Like "The Town of Richmond, Maine" on FaceBook..to get a feel for small town living..or Google it, too..there will be plenty of information for you to look at..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine