Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 03:03 PM

46 posts, read 68,802 times

Advertisements

I just wrote a post about my family and I relocating to Maine next year. One of the big factors on where we end up will be a home church.

I am very involved in my church in Clermont FL www.getreallife.com

It's more of a non-denominational church. It has about 3 thousand people and also offers a christian school. I currently am on staff at my church working on the church side doing child care for all the events, and life groups. I also work as the extended care teacher at the christian school, as well as doing homework hour for those who sign up. I have just finished doing all the curriculum for the extended care program for next year. I am also one of the head summer camp counselors.
The reason I am so hesitant to leave FL is because I love what I do. I adore kids, and I finally found a place where my job does not feel like work, because I love it so much. I even serve during weekend services just because I love it so much. I am at my church 7 days a week. I work there, and volunteer there, as well as attend services. I'd love to find a place where I can feel this same way from a church in Maine.

As I stated in my other post my husband has a BA in music and was just offered a position as the head music director for a local church. We both could find a place in a church who needs us. Music director and childcare provider. Is there a church who would welcome us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 05:49 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,083,245 times
3,000-member churches are a little thin on the ground here in Maine. You mentioned the Hampden area in your other post, so you might look into possibilities at the Bangor Baptist Church. That's one of the largest, if not THE largest, churches in the area. I'm unfamiliar with other churches in the area.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:11 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,868,491 times
I posted on your other thread...just did a little research....Maine's population about 1,300,000 Florida's population about 19,000,000. Like Coaster says not going to find many if any 3,000 member churches in Maine. The Bangor Baptist website says their school has 280 students.

Here's a link to a Christian school in Portland. http://www.gpcs.net/

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 07-07-2012 at 06:25 PM..

Old 07-07-2012, 06:59 PM

6,621 posts, read 13,484,441 times
Maine is the least religious state in the nation. Got faith? Maine the least-religious state in the nation — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Old 07-08-2012, 09:28 AM

46 posts, read 68,802 times
Well this is a lot to consider. A church is a really big deal to me, so maybe Maine is not the the right place. Looks like you'll be seeing some more post in diff areas from me... Thank you all for your feedback and honesty. Moving is a big leap so the advice is so appreciated!

Old 07-08-2012, 10:05 AM

908 posts, read 1,114,676 times
You can't rule out small churches though - as a person who has a degree in Ministry I would strongly suggest getting into a smaller church. But I think I said it in the other thread - part-time will be the norm up here especially for worship/music and the pay will be slim. It will not be enough to live on. Pastors up here (which would pretty easily be the highest paying position in the church), even when full time, probably only make $30k or less as veterans. This is reflected by low membership, low COL, and the poverty associated with a good portion of Maine.

I highly doubt there is a church in Maine with half the membership of that church. Maybe one or two, and they would be in Bangor or Portland.

Of course, as a religious person wages and money may not matter so much. If you and your family are good at living frugally, find some positions you appreciate, and want to enjoy all the bonuses that come with Maine...it might be a place even start up your own ministry/church plant. You might even be able to converse with your "home" church in FL about it; they might be interested in subsidizing a church plant up here. Show them the article in the Bangor Daily about the state of the churches up here and maybe secure some financial assistance. At the worst it'd go "bust" or you'd find out it wasn't your calling or just not enjoy Maine. Obviously these options depend on many variables including your life goals and thirst for "adventure" and also your home church. Guess it is some things to consider. You sound like you both have enough experience to bring forth something of that caliber.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:32 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,600,167 times
Churches in Maine tend to have a critical mass of about 80 families. Once they reach that size they split and form another church. One of the original churches withers away and the surviving church grows until the next split. This doesn't happen in the older main line churches where the building and minister are owned by the organization from away. There are churches over 100 years old and they tend to have congregations of about 35 families.

Before somebody jumps in to point out an exception to the above, there are exceptions. My post is to illustrate a common pattern which repeats and will continue to repeat until the next "awakening".

Old 01-05-2019, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 600 times
We are moving to Maine within the next year. I am looking for a Greek Orthodox Church. Are there any within the State?

Old 01-05-2019, 06:46 PM

47,938 posts, read 21,918,859 times
There is a greek orthodox church in Saco and a Serbian Orthodox Church in Biddeford.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:08 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,105,789 times
You will not find a church like you have in Florida anywhere in Maine. There is not enough population to support it.

I do believe that the culture shock here would drive you back to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine