Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 01:37 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,527,823 times

Advertisements

I saw land in a development I like to purchase. I'd like to have a log home built on. Anyone buy land and then have a log home built on it? I know the basics: soil tested, water hook up, electric, clearing the land, ect... All of which is complete.

My only concern, it's seems like a lot of planning, permits, ect....
Just tring to figure out if it's worth the process? Just looking to have built a 2BR/2bath, large kitchen/den.
I have NO idea on cost?

Log Builders in mid coast Maine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:06 PM

341 posts, read 641,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I saw land in a development I like to purchase. I'd like to have a log home built on. Anyone buy land and then have a log home built on it? I know the basics: soil tested, water hook up, electric, clearing the land, ect... All of which is complete.

My only concern, it's seems like a lot of planning, permits, ect....
Just tring to figure out if it's worth the process? Just looking to have built a 2BR/2bath, large kitchen/den.
I have NO idea on cost?

Log Builders in mid coast Maine?
Log Homes and Log Home Floor Plans Cabins by Hilltop Log & Timber Homes - Home They were good but I don't know how is company now. We built log home in Fayette and we love it.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:49 PM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
these guys are in Kenduskeag

Northeastern Log Homes

Old 07-09-2012, 10:24 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,068,765 times
Good luck with your project. Building a log home is a substantial engagement.

Go down to your local book store and pick up any one of several magazines which focus on log homes. These things are mostly infomercials in print, and outline the building process from A-Z. They also have lists of builders, by area, which you can then research as to fit with your project.

The first thing i would check out is whether your chosen development will allow a log home. Some will not, for a variety of reasons.

You need to decide whether you wish to go with manufactured logs, or a full scribe log. There are pluses and minuses to each one. I personally wouldn't do anything other than full scribe, but that is pure personal choice. It is more costly, and in general, log building is more costly than traditional stick building. IN GENERAL! Don't go jumpimg down my throat with all sorts of examples which show otherwise.

Building with logs requires special expertise. Erecting the log shell is just one part of the process. The 'trades' (plumbing, electric, HVAC, roofing, etc.) need to have expereience in building with logs. It is a LOT different than traditional construction. These add to the cost, and add to the timetable.

It is easy to do homework. Take your time and learn. Go to a log home show and you will see all sorts of variations (mostly manufactured logs) on the theme.

Good luck. Have fun. Talk to the folks at Rockport Post and Beam. They can guide you.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:48 AM

65 posts, read 98,848 times
Log Home Plans - Katahdin Cedar Log Homes

Check out Katahdin cedar log homes. Located just south of Houlton so not mid coast, but they build beautiful homes. One was donated to the ABC show Extreme Make Over Home Edition a couple of years ago.

Great company with great people.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:58 PM

393 posts, read 981,524 times
There is nothing more beautiful than a log home. BUT . . . the reason we decided not to build one is they are very high maintenance. Wood is constantly shrinking and must be re-chinked. Wood is susceptible to the elements and must be re-sealed. Make sure you allow time, money and labor to maintain every 2 - 4 years (either yours or paying someone el$e) as part of your budget - it goes waaaay beyond the actual cost of the house, permits, etc.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:15 PM

80 posts, read 139,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa View Post
Log Homes and Log Home Floor Plans Cabins by Hilltop Log & Timber Homes - Home They were good but I don't know how is company now. We built log home in Fayette and we love it.
Built a post and beam thru them and they were great. Honest folks. They mainly do log and they do them right.

Mark

Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,527,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastMark View Post
Built a post and beam thru them and they were great. Honest folks. They mainly do log and they do them right.

Mark
Great! Thank you. I know if VARIES, how much you think per SF? I know there are a lot of things/upgreades to consider. Ball Park? I just need a 800-1000 SF 2 BR, Kit & Den

Before I head up there (L.I. NY), I want to have SOMEWHAT of a figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine