Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe we are experiencing global warming/climate change?
No 23 24.21%
Yes 65 68.42%
Not Sure 7 7.37%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:33 PM

145 posts, read 337,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoMaine View Post
I don't know how anyone can not believe we are experiencing global warming (then again, there people who still believe the lunar landing was all a big government hoax.) Of course we are experiencing global warming; there is too much scientific evidence to deny it - but people still will. It might require a little work to dig through all the evidence, because as we all know, you can hire an "expert" to say anthing these days. More interesting to me, but just as concerning are the conversations I have with my brother who is a commercial pilot - has been for over 20 years. The changes in the various coastlines he has seen in the last 5 years is dramatic. Great thread, thanks for posting this.
In the last 5 yrs!?! That's not very long! I also believe in climate change being a combination of things. While it may be just a cycle of the Earth ..it can't be denied that we've as humans have changed and polluted more in the last 50-100? yrs..than any time in history. That can't be good for the ecosystem. You know that movie "it's a wonderful life? You realize what a complex chain of events a simple life is...so it is with the balance of nature...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 07:00 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,043,489 times
wow ray, you practically took the words out of my mouth! lol....

yes, the earth is experiencing a warming.....regardless of whether this warming is due to our behavior or not, we certainly are not doing the best we can to take care of this Earth. We lose sight of the future too easily. There are simple adjustments that every single person can make that will make a difference to our children and our children's children. How can we be so selfish not to see this and make a difference? Why would you not want to do that for the future? Does it really, in the end, make a whole lot of difference about the why....if we can choose to be part of the solution---even if you just acknowledge the pollution and energy waste and correct your own behavior regarding that, you'll make a difference.

(wow, Molly had a serious post---David, mark that one on the calendar!)

Old 10-01-2007, 07:17 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,018,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoMaine View Post
I don't know how anyone can not believe we are experiencing global warming (then again, there people who still believe the lunar landing was all a big government hoax.)
LOL, I think there are still a few holdouts who still believe the Earth is flat, some others who believe it is only 6,000 years old, and other equally way out ideas.

SkyTrekker- you mentioned that man's CO2 emissions are 150 times greater than that of volcanoes, but I wasn't certain from the sentence whether the vulcanology people had made that statement or if it should be attributed to someone else.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:26 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,567,552 times
The warmest decade of the last century was the 1930s. It cooled into the 1960s and has begun to warm a little, but nowhere near back to the level of the 1930s. I saw snow higher than the school busses beside the roads in the early 1960s when I was home from the Navy on leave. The changes to our coast like down by Camp Ellis have nothing to do with climate. They are caused by a poorly engineered man made breakwater.

When the Vikings colonized Greenland it was green and they pastured large flocks of sheep there. When the lost squadron crash landed in Greenland during WWII those aircraft were covered up by over 260 feet of ice. Aviation enthusiasts dug down through that ice to recover a P-38 fighter. At the same time, politicians with an agenda claim that we are losing ice. The Antarctic is building ice also. The ice cap at the pole keeps growing. Sure, icebergs are cast off into the sea every year. Ice flows down hill and falls off glaciers into the sea. It happens every year and was the cause of the sinking of the Titanic. Icebergs are a tourist attraction in Newfoundland. They arrive every year like clockwork. The Vikings were in Newfoundland too and very likely in Maine because there are thole pin holes along our coasts. Those are how Viking ships moored to rocky shores. The Vikings could beat a hasty retreat when necessary because they had a way of irritating the locals whether they were in Greece, Spain or Maine.

Global warming and global cooling have always been caused by the sun. This time, AlGore, Prince Philip and the human extinction movement want to blame people. The human extinction movement has an agenda. Just read their stuff. every time they confuse the public and foster superstition they gain. It's a tactic, nothing more.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:30 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,330,468 times
it's the cows fault,... methane gas from cow farts causes global warming.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:33 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,018,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
The mammoths are helping too (even though they're all dead, they left behind much waste that is now "fermenting").

Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 PM

581 posts, read 706,767 times
Quote:
What about human farts? Would it help if everyone took Beano? Or, we used to blame it on the dog; now it's the cows' fault?

Last edited by DavidoftheNorth; 10-01-2007 at 08:30 PM..

Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 PM

37,245 posts, read 60,976,905 times
Quote:
LOL

I have read where that is the biggest offender

Old 10-01-2007, 09:00 PM

Oh my goooooddnnneesss!!You people are just too funny!! I really needed that laugh...Oh thank you thank you thank you! Still laughing.....

Old 10-01-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
wow ray, you practically took the words out of my mouth! lol....

yes, the earth is experiencing a warming.....regardless of whether this warming is due to our behavior or not, we certainly are not doing the best we can to take care of this Earth. We lose sight of the future too easily. There are simple adjustments that every single person can make that will make a difference to our children and our children's children. How can we be so selfish not to see this and make a difference? Why would you not want to do that for the future? Does it really, in the end, make a whole lot of difference about the why....if we can choose to be part of the solution---even if you just acknowledge the pollution and energy waste and correct your own behavior regarding that, you'll make a difference.

(wow, Molly had a serious post---David, mark that one on the calendar!)
So right Mol,, why doesn't matter... If it is the sun or natural climate change well then ..can't do much about that. But if we know we're doing things to hurt our own health and the planets ..why not fix it anyway?Doesn't everyone want healthy kids..sometimes I think some people think that the big holes called landfills are really are portals into another dimension!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine