Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe we are experiencing global warming/climate change?
No 23 24.21%
Yes 65 68.42%
Not Sure 7 7.37%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:12 PM

306 posts, read 1,032,632 times

Advertisements

DAMNIT!

I clicked the wrong answer...

But I do believe in global warming and do fear the effects. Its not just warming up and a rising sea level, its a mini ice age in Europe and possibly in Northwestern North America as well. Its all tied into the The Great Ocean Conveyor caused by the melting ice in Greenland and how that could stop and...well I do not feel like going on a rant.

But its not all man made and we are taking great steps to "greening up" We are not there yet but its not as it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 06:19 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,490,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I think that the earth has experienced variations of temperature before, possibly even many variations from 'ice ages' to 'tropical ages', back and forth. Most scientists seem to agree that we have most recently been coming out of an 'ice age', and moving toward a 'tropical age'. Scientists seem to disagree as to whether what we are seeing today is a natural part of those cycles, or something different.

I am not convinced that man has had any influence on the earth's behavior.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Like forest I do my part, not mowing until after 6 , not driving gas guzzlers, recycling( even though it doesn't pay $ down here),combining errands, reuse all I can, etc. There is just no sense in not being responsible stewards.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:22 AM

37,246 posts, read 60,976,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself. Like forest I do my part, not mowing until after 6 , not driving gas guzzlers, recycling( even though it doesn't pay $ down here),combining errands, reuse all I can, etc. There is just no sense in not being responsible stewards.
Thank you my deah

Old 10-02-2007, 06:25 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,490,982 times
Anytime deah sir!! Think they would be horrified if I started raising livestock. I live so close to the hoity toity historical district... I would love to see the look on their snobby little faces!!!

Old 10-02-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Anytime deah sir!! Think they would be horrified if I started raising livestock. I live so close to the hoity toity historical district... I would love to see the look on their snobby little faces!!!
You are such a sweetheart, have you considered rabbit? They can be raised in a fairly small space, and they provide about the best feed to meat ratio.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:52 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,157,253 times
[quote=Zymer;1623370

Many of the "scientists" who are promoting the idea that global warming is caused by man are not trained in the particular discipline(s) which would give them the knowledge to make that determination. The fact that one may have an enormous amount of education in one area does not necessarily qualify one to have an "expert" opinion in another area. A paleontologist and a particle physicist are both scientists, but a degree in the field of paleontology does not endow one with the knowledge requisite to giving a dissertation on the behavior of quarks.

These people are being intellectually dishonest by promoting the perception that, because they are legitimately expert in one field, they should be considered an expert in an unrelated field simply because they carry the title of "scientist". The credentials of any "scientist" promoting the idea that global warming is caused by man should be examined to determine if he/she is in possession of the knowledge necessary to proffer an expert opinion on the subject, rather than simply accepting the claim at face value because of his/her label.[/QUOTE]
Scientists are trained in chemistry and statistics. The change in the atmosphere, what ever the cause- is chemistry, and statistics are used to analyze the data. So yeah, scientists are qualified to make such statements. Besides, global warming theory is still in its infancy. The debate is not whether it is happening or not, as most seem to agree that it is, but rather what the cause. Yes, the Earth does cycle between an Ice/Tropical age-and I've long been under the impression that we are going into another Ice Age (which is always preceded by a global warm-up)-but this current global warm-up seems to be happening alot faster then previously "recorded". I find it hard to believe that any rational human being can completely dismiss the notion that humans, by what ever margin of degree, has played a hand at our current situation. Airplanes, cars, factories-all pumping out toxic gases into the atmosphere. Cow farts-methane is a green house gas, and there are more cows on this planet then ever. Clear-cutting trees and rain-forest-trees are a natural filter of Co2. Volcanos. Etc. Oh, and whether or not car emissions, factories, etc are a cause of global warming-they are a cause of global pollution. Personally, I like to breathe clean air and drink clean water-and I definitely do not want any other part of the country to look like LA (smog, among other things). I would like to think that my children will grow up in a (semi) clean/livable world. Cleaning up the environment is a good thing for everyone (well, except Hal.). Don't worry-the hippy fascists won't force you to drive a hybrid.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:57 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,732,124 times
Ayone out here subscribe to Chris Cooper's "In the Garden Wet with Rain" threads?

He writes a weekly column devoted to gardening issues in Maine with a little politics and opinions thrown in from time to time for good measure!!

His most recent thread in the Maine Lincoln County news touches upon global warming and its affect on Maine vegetation. Fascinating!!

If you like his style, pop him an email and he will automatically send you out his weekly piece.

Go to mainelincolncountynews.com/index.cfm?ID=27675

Old 10-02-2007, 12:47 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,018,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Scientists are trained in chemistry and statistics. The change in the atmosphere, what ever the cause- is chemistry, and statistics are used to analyze the data. So yeah, scientists are qualified to make such statements.
Well then, by your definition I too am qualified to make such statements. Should you then take any statements I should make regarding "global warming" as expert and definitive opinions, and unquestionable?

Since you are taking issue with my statements, I think we can safely assume that this is not the case. The most immediate questions that should pop into your mind would be: just how much education does he have in the fields of chem & stat? How much education does he have in the specialized field of climatology? What studies has he made in regards to "global warming"? Have his findings been reviewed by his peers, and are his results reproducible? In short, you would want to know what credentials I possess that would qualify me as an authority on the subject.

You seem to be laboring under the assumption that all "scientists" are equally well trained in all the fields of study. I doubt that any legitimate scientist would agree with that assumption.

A ballistician is a scientist. So is a paleontologist, and so is a geologist, or a cancer researcher or a Psychiatrist engaged in behavioral research. Any or all of these may have had some level of education in chemistry and statistics. Are you saying that this renders them qualified experts in the general field of climatology, and global warming in particular?

Old 10-02-2007, 02:11 PM

837 posts, read 1,699,537 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/02/sc...f9b&ei=5087%0A

Seems to be a lot of concerned atmospheric scientists.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Climate Change - Sea Ice - Arctic - New York Times

Seems to be a lot of concerned atmospheric scientists.
Concern is good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine