Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 03:34 PM

163 posts, read 295,409 times

Advertisements

I've been away from the forum for a while. DW and I got back from an extended trip a few weeks ago. Spent four days with close friends in Harrison, but due to time restrictions we did not make it to Washington Co. and north to Lincoln as planned. (sorry NMLM).

It's probably been asked before, but can I get some rough costs of what insuring a house costs in non coastal areas of Maine? I know there are many variables. Just for comparison here is what I pay in northwest Florida. 2400 square ft. on .75 acre 8 miles from Gulf. Estimated replacement value including contents: $ 390 K. When I built this place in 1998, premium was less than $650. per year. Last year was about $2,000...this year $2,900. No hurricanes in seven years, but ins. co. claims we are subsidizing western wildfires,etc.

The good thing is that elec. rates are pretty cheap and property taxes are a steal. We have excellent schools, garbage pickup twice weekly provided by the county and no state income tax. I have paid less than $ 800. per year on this property for several years. Economy is still pretty strong in this area, but as I work outside a good portion of the time, the heat, although low for Florida, is taking it's toll on my body. Just turned 65 and starting to "feel it".

The statistics I looked at online do not seem to be realistic. Avg. for Maine home owners they put at around $650, but Florida at $ 750? I don't believe that for a second.

Last edited by pc-not; 07-28-2012 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 04:06 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-not View Post
I've been away from the forum for a while. DW and I got back from an extended trip a few weeks ago. Spent four days with close friends in Harrison, but due to time restrictions we did not make it to Washington Co. and north to Lincoln as planned. (sorry NMLM).

It's probably been asked before, but can I get some rough costs of what insuring a house costs in non coastal areas of Maine? I know there are many variables. Just for comparison here is what I pay in northwest Florida. 2400 square ft. on .75 acre 8 miles from Gulf. Estimated replacement value including contents: $ 390 K. When I built this place in 1998, premium was less than $650. per year. Last year was about $2,000...this year $2,900. No hurricanes in seven years, but ins. co. claims we are subsidizing western wildfires,etc.

The good thing is that elec. rates are pretty cheap and property taxes are a steal. We have excellent schools, garbage pickup twice weekly provided by the county and no state income tax. I have paid less than $ 800. per year on this property for several years. Economy is still pretty strong in this area, but as I work outside a good portion of the time, the heat, although low for Florida, is taking it's toll on my body. Just turned 65 and starting to "feel it".

The statistics I looked at online do not seem to be realistic. Avg. for Maine home owners they put at around $650, but Florida at $ 750? I don't believe that for a second.
hazzard/ homeowners insurance, without flood insurance and no in ground pools, trampalines, and not a log cabin,
arent that bad for premiums...

property taxes, it all depends on the town- different rates for different towns

call a few insurance companies and ask an agent- tell them what you are looking at ,,they may give you a range

Old 07-28-2012, 09:08 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,252 times
For my buyers in the Greater Portland area in an average home, I estimate $600 ($50 monthly escrow). I've seen some higher and some lower when the HUD-1 settlement statement comes out.

I represented the seller for a large house in Windham which closed yesterday (4300 square feet above grade, 1200 finished below grade) with an in ground pool on a private road and they are paying $2141.04 annually. I only met the buyer yesterday, so i don't know if they shopped around or not.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:25 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Small town, no PD, volunteer FD, 1800 sq.ft. log cabin, 2 wood stoves (oil furnace has been shut off for years) oversize 3 car detached garage, 22 acres, above ground pool...ins. is just about $500/year...just did the math- $504.00. (Discount for having 2 auto policies with the same company.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine