Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:47 AM

489 posts, read 1,210,463 times

Advertisements

Remember retreaded tires?
I don't know of any being used today on passenger cars, but they are being used by fleet truck owners. I think they are allowed only on the rear axels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
I don't know of any being used today on passenger cars, but they are being used by fleet truck owners. I think they are allowed only on the rear axels.
Bangor had a tire retreading shop back in the early 1970s IIRC. The service station where I worked in college would order tires from it if the customer requested them, but we would only mount them on the rear wheels. Are they even legal anymore for passenger cars?

Old 12-22-2012, 02:07 PM

625 posts, read 791,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
You can get retreads for a car still. Yes Retreads for trucks are the norm as truck tires are 300 to 900 or more EACH. Retreads are NOT allowed to be used on the steering axle that would be a BIG fine. No such law for cars though..

Old 10-08-2015, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,815 times
Do you need a front licen plate on a car ?

Old 10-08-2015, 09:50 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn sulinski View Post
Do you need a front licen plate on a car ?
Yes - In Maine you will have a front and rear tag plate.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
If your passager window does not open can u pass for a sticker

Old 09-07-2017, 03:14 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna60 View Post
If your passager window does not open can u pass for a sticker
I've never seen them check my windows so I'm thinking yes.

RR

Old 10-18-2017, 10:46 PM

118 posts, read 223,639 times
Default I got skewered on inspection for the oddest thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Funny thing is the place only does inspections and oil changes. It's my 83 yr old father's car. He went to the auto body shop today to ask their opinion and they said the inspection guys vary widely. Some like to fail you just because they can. Really irks me. I'm happy to fix the things that are actually a safety concern but not for someone to feel powerful. It seems very subjective.
The option seems to be to go around getting inspections until you pass.
Will it come up on some kind of list of failing and for what?
Most definitely, if you are known to a garage, there's a good chance you'll get a break. I was told that my car would fail inspection because one of the four driver's side rear tail light covers was missing. The clear cover had fallen off. I put clear tape over it, and it was fully functional and visible. The lens cover was plastic, and the tape is, of course, also plastic, so you tell me. Charge $88.00 for a full new "set" of the tail lights, instead of replacing the one, plus four new bulbs.

Get this: a part that he said was necessary for the car to pass inspection, did not come in, but he stickered the vehicle anyway, saying he was doing me a favor. I thought I'd spit. Why this game. If he was going to fail me for plastic tape over a plastic lens cover of the same clear color, he stickers the car without what would be a far more vital repair - if it is true - and the manual won't download for me to check.

It was all my fault, however. I did not get a written estimate before agreeing to repairs, and only was told the "outside estimate for repairs." I have never not been given a written estimate, but was too worried about many things, and took the garage owner at his word. One part that he ordered, he said, was the wrong part, and he plans to charge me more than that outside estimate for the part and installation, which, he agreed, he had said would be part of the repair.

I feel as scammed as I could be, even as I take responsibility for not getting the written estimate. Pulling this one tail light lens deal for passing inspection though, was low. As is adding on. I wonder why he felt he had to play me. You can't do anything when something like this occurs, because, of course, he's a well-respected garage owner-about-town.

There were several town vehicles there for repairs that could not possibly pass inspection under any circumstances and yet.. guess what. If I filed a complaint about this guy, his 5,000 or so relatives would find me; of that I'm quite certain. Creep. Bottom line is that I would rather have the inspection manual adhered to by all licensed inspection stations than see the blatant abuses, even as that would probably mean a lot of trouble for many people, especially for those with older vehicles, as I have. I understand safety issues needing repair, and I guess the answer is to learn how to have the inspection requirements made more rational and than work to have them changed.

Last edited by Midcoaster; 10-18-2017 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 10-19-2017, 05:45 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

If you go to the same person for all your work and you develop a relationship with him/her(never saw a female auto mechanic actually), and if they know that they will be doing all your work, then they have no reason to fail you just to get work, when they know that you are coming back for EVERYTHING that goes wrong. If you keep shopping around, then this is not the case, and they may feel used.

If you live in Ellsworth, I can recommend a guy who used to be my mechanic on MDI, but opened his own business there. He is honest and very very skilled.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:46 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
You can get retreads for a car still. Yes Retreads for trucks are the norm as truck tires are 300 to 900 or more EACH. Retreads are NOT allowed to be used on the steering axle that would be a BIG fine. No such law for cars though..
Tirebuyer has tires so cheap that there is almost no point in buying retreads, and in New England, they deliver UPS the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine