Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 03:46 PM

7,050 posts, read 9,010,436 times

Advertisements

OK, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 08:44 AM

489 posts, read 1,203,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Timely topic- I need to find someone to do some chimbley work here, who is also comfortable with doing it on a metal roof. I considered the idea of doing it myself (I'm quite confident that I could teach myself to do it) but the metal roof puts me off- I'm getting older and don't heal as quickly and trying to do it two stories up on a slippy metal roof gives me the willies.

This past January the top part of my center chimney collapsed. This chimney serves my [unused] oil furnace, my oil-fired water heater, and my primary woodstove. Apparently, the dummy that built it didn't put the liner all the way to the top and the mortared fieldstone crumbled and collapsed inward and blocked the flue, which rendered it unusable. Fortunately, I have another chimney at the end of the house, which serves 'Old Smokey' (a 100-plus year old Glenwood 'Oak' parlor stove), and between that and the pellet stove we stayed fairly comfortable.

However, I really would like to get the main chimney serviceable again before Winter so we can put the F500 back into use.

Anybody know someone around here who can do it at a reasonable cost? (If I was comfortable with losing an arm or a leg I'd just go ahead and do it myself.)
I had faint visions of a future metal roof on my house when present asphalt shingles give up the ghost, but Zymer just took care of that vision.

I clean my metal chimneys several times a year and usually my asphalt shingles provide a good grip under foot. Never thought about how footing in certain weather conditions on a metal roof would be. Thank you Zymer. (also saved me some big $)

My house is 88' long including garage, and I have 3 chimneys, one on each end and one in the center, and have a sturdy ladder positioned safely in between chimneys so a long walk on the roof is necessary. I have a 4/12 pitch so it's comfortable working on.

For a camp chimney (or house) I would think maybe a new diy metalbestos insulated chimney might be the cheapest and easiest way to go, for a wood stove. Maybe leave the old chimney where it is.

Lots of good info and ideas on the wood stove/wood burning websites on how to install them yourself safely. Get it inspected when finished and you're good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: