Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:54 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
I am beginning the process of moving things out of a home (selling, giving away, deciding what to bring) I have lived in for almost 40 years in preperation for my migration north, getting this house prepared to put on the market (new roof, floors sanded, cosmetic stuff). Lots of memories, but I am trading them for a new chapter.......(the final one), North Carolina in the rear view. Good by heat, urban sprawl, gangsta's, unfavorable tax rate, grits. Fortunately for me, no job is needed. I will bring a pension and my (our) life's savings. I will not impact any public coffers, except in a positive way. My wife retires Decedmber 31st. We will purchase by November if our home here sells. I'm returning again in September to look at some homes on our short list.
There's a house just down the road from me that has been sitting vacant for a year or two, I'll bet you could get it pretty cheap. Only about 20- 30 min to BIA from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 PM

11 posts, read 24,037 times
Dear nmills, I am also presently living in a suburb of "Houston". We will be retiring in less than 1 1/2 years. I have been looking at Waldoboro, Maine as a possible place to retire. My wife is originally from Up-State NYand I am a native of Houston. I also do not like it here any more. I have been a FF for 32 years. When every 24 hours, at least 3-4 people(animals) are killed here, it's time to leave. We've stopped watching the new because the only thing they report is bad news. We won't have to look for employment, so it will be easier for us to make the move. I also was looking in Montana, but found out from someone from up there that Californians are moving into Montana and trying to change the state to their life style and the people from Montana hate it. My wife seems to like the idea of Maine over Montana. In the next few months I will checking eveything out. The internet has made things easy to check out. This site has all the statistics on almost ever city in the U.S. Good luck on your move..............Steve.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,125 times
Steve, before you take "someone's" word that Californians are taking over Montana, you may want to take a trip up there and see for yourself. When remarks like that are made most of the time it means new neighbors are from another state and make comments like "Well where I come from this is how we do it" and I have to admit after awhile that will rub anyone the wrong way. I lived in Anaconda, Mt for a couple of years and it is beautiful country but the winters are cold cold cold I now live in So Alabama and love it. I suggest you rent before you buy and live there a couple of years to see how well you'll like it. Good luck to you and congrats on soon becoming members of the everyday is Saturday club. Marion

Old 08-25-2012, 01:00 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Kiwi - It's interesting that so many seem anxious to leave NC for Maine or New England. In the past 5 or 6 years we have had 5 households of close relatives move to the Raleigh area. A couple because of job opportunities and at least one because of the milder weather. One nephew and his wife had jobs in Boston while living in a suburb and just couldn't seem to save enought to buy a house. After only a few months in Clayton, NC they both secured good jobs and bought a house.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:17 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,312 times
_There is a town near Clayton called Cary. (Current Area for Relocating Yankees) ;-).I guess if you were young and your prospects were bleak for a job with a future the Raleigh area would be a good choice for a young person to move to. When I go there I see a suburb of New York City, Chicago, Cleveland (pick your poison) and all that living in a large metropolitan environ brings. 8 lanes of traffic on either side, traffic gridlock 7 am-9am, 3pm-6pm, crime, pollution, gangs, high prices on everything (gas,real estate, taxes and so forth). My town Greensboro has had a 20% growth spurt in the last 5 years, and if you factor in High Point and Winston Salem which are all basically the same city, you have a million point five plus, from Wikipedia:

"In 2003, the previous Greensboro – Winston-SalemHigh Pointmetropolitan statistical area (MSA) was re-defined by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget, resulting in the formation of the Greensboro-High Point MSA and the Winston-Salem MSA. The 2010 population for the Greensboro-High Point MSA was 723,801. The Greensboro – Winston-Salem – High Point combined statistical area (CSA), popularly referred to as the Piedmont Triad, had a population of 1,599,477."

When I was coming up, this was a nice quiet town, the language was English, if you came here from elsewhere you learned it, or you did not make it. Even the Cherokee were forced to learn English, and they of all people should have had accomodation.Now everything is in two languages, even though no law has been passed for this to occur, and my tax dollars are being utilized to communicate these folks in their native tounge, and little effort is made for them to assimilate into our American way of life. Back in the day people held doors for old people, Stop signs meant you halted your vehicle for oncoming traffic, and people worked for a living, not give birth to illegitimate childern to obtain a raise. I am old now. When I encounter these things it really bothers me, yet I am powerless to do anything about it. Do not think of me as Archie Bunker, think of me as a guy who worked his entire life, and now wants the peace and quite the Maine lifestyle will afford me.I am thinking out of sight, out of mind. These things will eventually occur in Maine, most likely are in Bangor and Portland, but not in the county for the most part. I need no job at this juncture, although I would enjoy teaching some classes as an adjunct professor. I will buy a house, pay taxes and put into the local economy. I will participate in my community in the way of Veterans organizations, volunteer my time in anyway I can be of assistance. I have ancestors in the dirt in Maine, and feel compelled to live out my life there. I understand that more opportunities are avalible here in NC for a young couple needing to support a family. Good luck to them. I would recommend the likes of Wilmington on the coast, Hickory in the west and even Asheville. I would think a better quality of life couls be had staying away from Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh. Probably much more than you cared to hear Newdaawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine