Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:14 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times

Advertisements

"Didn't families pull together and help each other?"

They did then and they are now. Back then kids went to work on farms for the summer and not just within the family. Now there are a lot of young people and some with families going to live with their parents or grandparents. It's a huge strain and a huge adjustment. There are rules involved.

There are large incentives to divorce so the family can get aid not available to married families. The "marriage penalty' does exist in government and not just for income taxes. Our existing system is not set up to assist such American families. However, there are extensive programs set up for foreign families staying here in our country. We have arrived at this place for many reasons, but what we all need to understand is there is no structure in place to address a potential huge surge in unemployment after January 1, 2013. I hope it won't happen, but many in the financial industry are warning about a financial apocalypse.

What can we do to prepare for it? Prepare for your kids to come home. Think about that eventuality. What would you do if your kids lose their home and come back to Maine? The time to prepare is not when they roll into the driveway embarrassed and distressed. Think it can't happen in your family? Think again. It can happen to anybody.

There is a good forum on CD for people interested in preparimng for the unexpected. Don't be bashful about visiting the site. It is not some militia site. It is a site for individual and family self sufficiency. It's worth your time.

//www.city-data.com/forum/self-...-preparedness/

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 09-30-2012 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Added link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 09:31 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Not everyone who is jobless or underemployed can get benefits, either. Or, benefits that make a difference. I was told, months ago, at the Career Center, that because I had a job, (although very part time), I couldn't get any help. I could get food stamps if I needed them...but what is the amount? Thirteen dollars a month? Twenty dollars? How does that help someone?

What makes me mad is that people are living on the government dole for everything; their housing, phone, food, electric...and those who are just having a bad patch get overlooked because, honestly, once the life time welfare people take their chunk, there's nothing left for those who need help, temporarily.

Welfare was supposed to be temporary help, not a lifestyle.

And while I'm here...because at this point, I'm no longer too proud to ask: I need a full time job. Or two part time jobs. I have applied in many places but if you know of any in my area, please PM me. Or if you know anyone who needs help, please PM me.

One of the biggest obstacles I've faced while here is trying to work part time schedules around each other. That does not always work out well. At all. Some employers are understanding...for awhile. After awhile though, they are no longer very understanding. The last two jobs I held were understanding at the beginning, one longer than the other...but after awhile, they get upset when you say, "I can't come in that day, I have to work my other job", even if you let them know well in advance. And, sometimes, you lose because of that.

This is why I would prefer to have a full time job so that is no longer an issue. I worked four jobs from September last year to January earlier this year. I was exhausted not only from working so much but also trying to juggle the schedules...just so I could make it and not have to rely on anyone but myself.

If we want to get people off of welfare, maybe one thing we could do is make it just a little easier for people who want to work, be able to do so.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:56 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
OK, 3 Wolves, What do you do? What is your experience? There are jobs out there.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:00 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
Reloop - not sure where you live but I am less than a mile from where that area that you refer to as "The Pines". It has been way more than a year since there has been any activity in that area. The ones that were in that area - mostly men - have been moved and urged to go to the homeless shelter or if they substance and alcohol issues there is a separate place for that, called Hope House. The people that run the substance abuse and alcohol shelter tried to double the capacity recently from about 23 to 46 but were turned down by the City Council because of problems they had caused to neighbors that live just off of Union St. on Dunning Blvd. One family had returned from vacation to find sleeping bags spread out in their garage and other indications that someone had been sleeping and eating there. It certainly is a problem with no easy answers.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:18 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Reloop - not sure where you live but I am less than a mile from where that area that you refer to as "The Pines". It has been way more than a year since there has been any activity in that area. The ones that were in that area - mostly men - have been moved and urged to go to the homeless shelter or if they substance and alcohol issues there is a separate place for that, called Hope House. The people that run the substance abuse and alcohol shelter tried to double the capacity recently from about 23 to 46 but were turned down by the City Council because of problems they had caused to neighbors that live just off of Union St. on Dunning Blvd. One family had returned from vacation to find sleeping bags spread out in their garage and other indications that someone had been sleeping and eating there. It certainly is a problem with no easy answers.
Yep, you're right - there are no easy answers.

I'm in the Bangor area, I'm well-acquainted with a lot of the clientele of the Hope House (through my employment) and I'm sure there are people who still spend time at "The Pines" as well as "Pickle Hill" off the interstate. While the daytime activity has been curtailed, the nights are a differing story. The word is out about The Pines more since BDN did a few stories about it (especially around the time that Clyde Worster - a disable veteran who "self-medicated" his injuries - was murdered there). People still loiter around Indiana and Texas Aves. during the day, but they get "moved along" more now.

The neighbors made very valid points at the hearing about the expansion of Hope House. They've had a very hard time with some of the people from that area. I hope you're not one of them.

Someone made a youtube video called "In The Pines ~ Bangor, Maine" It was shot during the day, so I'm sure people were scattered; however, there is still plenty of evidence that people have been staying there. In one section, it shows a van where someone resides in the same area as well as a fairly new tent. It was posted in September. I'm fairly certain it was shot this summer - I don't know that for a fact.

I have very mixed feelings about Hope House. On the one hand, I know they at least provide services for those who need it, but on the other, I think they enable a wee bit too much, but that's just my opinion. I know there are regulars (who blow in and out of town periodically) who make a point of staying there when they're in town because Dennis Marble will boot them from the Greater Bangor Area Shelter if they are under the influence of any substance (legal or illegal) and usually they are under the influence of some thing or another.

Back when Hope House was a "dry" shelter, there was not as much of the problem with assaults that sometimes befalls them now. I know there have been people who have successfully been treated/helped by HH, but lately it seems that there are more people who use it as a flophouse than there ever were. That's just my .02. There are also more women and young couples there now. I chalk it up to the times. The demographic is shifting and substance abuse is no longer more a man's issue from what I tend to see.

As far as "Didn't families pull together and help each other?" <during the depression era> Yes the did. The difference now is that there seems to be many more divided families and more kids on the foster track.

Back then, families "farmed" their kids out to relatives (my grandfather-in-law's family did this following the death of their mother) when times were hard. I think the societal difference in demographics isn't as comparable in today's family situation. Certainly there were divided homes back then, but IMHO there were more cohesive family groups that there is now. Interestingly, a lot of young people (especially those who have aged-out of the foster system) have seemed to form 'families' - hence the current trend of what's known as 'couch surfers' (or people who drift between friends' apartments). They don't get counted in the official homeless tally.

Last edited by cebdark; 10-01-2012 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: added

Old 10-02-2012, 05:35 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
It is really sad, but I'm sure necessary, that kids in the foster care system are put out on their own when they reach 18. There aren't many kids that age that are ready to support themselves without some kind of adult help. I know my kids wouldn't have been able to without a place to live and further education.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Not everyone who is jobless or underemployed can get benefits, either. Or, benefits that make a difference. I was told, months ago, at the Career Center, that because I had a job, (although very part time), I couldn't get any help. I could get food stamps if I needed them...but what is the amount? Thirteen dollars a month? Twenty dollars? How does that help someone?

What makes me mad is that people are living on the government dole for everything; their housing, phone, food, electric...and those who are just having a bad patch get overlooked because, honestly, once the life time welfare people take their chunk, there's nothing left for those who need help, temporarily.

Welfare was supposed to be temporary help, not a lifestyle.

And while I'm here...because at this point, I'm no longer too proud to ask: I need a full time job. Or two part time jobs. I have applied in many places but if you know of any in my area, please PM me. Or if you know anyone who needs help, please PM me.

One of the biggest obstacles I've faced while here is trying to work part time schedules around each other. That does not always work out well. At all. Some employers are understanding...for awhile. After awhile though, they are no longer very understanding. The last two jobs I held were understanding at the beginning, one longer than the other...but after awhile, they get upset when you say, "I can't come in that day, I have to work my other job", even if you let them know well in advance. And, sometimes, you lose because of that.

This is why I would prefer to have a full time job so that is no longer an issue. I worked four jobs from September last year to January earlier this year. I was exhausted not only from working so much but also trying to juggle the schedules...just so I could make it and not have to rely on anyone but myself.

If we want to get people off of welfare, maybe one thing we could do is make it just a little easier for people who want to work, be able to do so.
Are you looking for office/clerical/secretarial type work? I ask because you mentioned in another thread about applying to PCHC. Have you applied there yet?

If you scroll down there's a full-time position shown for a Patient Service Rep 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Union St. Mon-Friday.

PCHC - Penobscot Community Health Care

Emmc has openings as well: https://www.healthcaresource.com/eas...ijobrowstart=1

Most administrative jobs don't necessarily require extra schooling (although in the medical field, they will look more favorably toward you if you at least have Medical Terminology under your belt).

Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
My 18 year old nephew was interviewed at Time Warner this morning and hired this afternoon. I don't know if they have more openings but it's worth a phone call.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:50 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Are you looking for office/clerical/secretarial type work? I ask because you mentioned in another thread about applying to PCHC. Have you applied there yet?

If you scroll down there's a full-time position shown for a Patient Service Rep 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Union St. Mon-Friday.

PCHC - Penobscot Community Health Care

Emmc has openings as well: https://www.healthcaresource.com/eas...ijobrowstart=1

Most administrative jobs don't necessarily require extra schooling (although in the medical field, they will look more favorably toward you if you at least have Medical Terminology under your belt).
EMMC I've tried a few times. Nothing. PCHC...haven't heard anything yet.

I think what's killing my chances is that I have no experience in the medical field and a lot of them want you to have experience with medical terminologies and whatnot. I try though. Maybe one day they'll consider me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
My 18 year old nephew was interviewed at Time Warner this morning and hired this afternoon. I don't know if they have more openings but it's worth a phone call.
Really? The only jobs I see in my area are for Account Executive...which, I am not an Accountant. Do you know what he applied for and where? I would try for that.

I'm also having my resume reviewed, (again!), in the hopes that after myself, the Career Center and this next set of eyes, I'll have the best I can possibly have. It's getting down to the wire for me so I need something to give and fast.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:31 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
It's in Bangor, in the office, but I'm not sure yet what it is he's doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine