Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:44 AM

157 posts, read 327,628 times

Advertisements

Good Morning All,

We are arriving tomorrow, staying for 5 days visit in Downeast coastal areas.
I do not place high reliability on "the weather channel" and consider "local" forecast more credible.

Any suggestions for a link to local Downeast TV station or newspaper. Was thinking Bangor Daily news maybe?? A quick browse of BDN appears to show a range of lows - 42 - highs 72. Maybe there are some regular expert local regular posters here on Maine CD who are local climataologist/ meteorology experts!

In advance - thanks for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 08:55 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
My opinion is the CBC out of St John NB gives an accurate weather report. What they get in NB tomorrow is our weather today generally. I watch the weather on WABI (Ch 5) in Bangor though. With Canada being an hour behind their news comes on too early for me in the morning. I do watch at night sometimes. WLBZ is mostly Portland weather and they stand in front of Washington County during the report. Urinates me to no end.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
My opinion is the CBC out of St John NB gives an accurate weather report. What they get in NB tomorrow is our weather today generally. I watch the weather on WABI (Ch 5) in Bangor though. With Canada being an hour behind their news comes on too early for me in the morning. I do watch at night sometimes. WLBZ is mostly Portland weather and they stand in front of Washington County during the report. Urinates me to no end.
Thx. LOL

Old 09-28-2012, 09:24 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I like this one best. You can change the city or town in the URL. It shows a seven day forecast right at the top.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...ield2=-68.2869

For the real weather fans you can read the meteorologist's discussions and why they expect these conditions to occur. Scroll down the first linked page to the bottom on the left and you will see "Discussion".

National Weather Service Text Product Display

Old 09-28-2012, 11:09 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
I prefer Intellcast. They seem to be more accurate for a specific place. In my limited experience, the national weather service reports try to do the whole state, which is just plain folly.

Here's the url for Ellsworth: Intellicast - Ellsworth Weather Report in Maine (04605)

When I lived in Mid Atlantic States, I preferred Wunderweather, and they still have the nicest radar maps, IMO. But near Ellsworth, they don't seem to be too accurate. Looks like a wash-out weekend here near Ellsworth, starting this evening and running thru Sunday.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:11 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I prefer Intellcast. They seem to be more accurate for a specific place. In my limited experience, the national weather service reports try to do the whole state, which is just plain folly.

Here's the url for Ellsworth: Intellicast - Ellsworth Weather Report in Maine (04605)

I use that one too. Pretty darn close. I thought he was looking for a TV station only. My error. BDN doesn't do very well for the downeast area.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I use that one too. Pretty darn close. I thought he was looking for a TV station only. My error. BDN doesn't do very well for the downeast area.
No.... you are right. He wanted a TV station. I have satellite so I tend not to pay much attention to the local news on stations. And their weather stuff usually pales to the internet. As you know, when you get out on the coast, it can be foggy and raining in one place, and sunny and clear 7 miles away at another spot.

Last year, I remember needing a snow rake for my roof. I called the hardware store to ask if they had any, they did. I commented about not being sure if I wanted to venture out with all the snow on the ground. I got a really weird comment from them. I went in, and discovered that in town, ONLY 4 MILES AWAY, they had only a dusting of snow and it looked like it was clearing, and I was pushing on 8 inches and the storm looked like it was getting worse.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post

When I lived in Mid Atlantic States, I preferred Wunderweather, and they still have the nicest radar maps, IMO. But near Ellsworth, they don't seem to be too accurate. Looks like a wash-out weekend here near Ellsworth, starting this evening and running thru Sunday.
Thank you Northern and Slyfox, we will be sure to bring rain gear, guess we will be driving in the rain most of the day Saturday from Portland airport then ,hope to reach our Jonesport "home" for 4 days before dark, then venture up to the first showing in Roque Bluffs Sunday morning. Tons of showings scheduled for Monday in Milbridge and Harrington. thinking Milbridge might be a good place to stock up on grocery essentials for a few days. DH wants to tour Lubec and saw some good food reviews for Uncle Kippy's.

Hope to have time to stop by Boothbay at the prison Woodcrafts shop posted link on last weekend CD excellent woodworking crafts from what I could see on their online shop at way reasonable prices.

We'll just be missing jellybean, look forward to her reports upon her return.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSailor View Post
Tons of showings scheduled for Monday in Milbridge .......
We came up back in fall of 2007 for two weekends. Left thursday at about 4:30 PM, got as far as Lowell, Mass. Then drove the rest of the way up early Friday Morning. Met the realtor at about 11:00 AM, and visited about 12 houses the first day, and another 15 the second day.

Came up again a month later, even though we'd pretty much decided, and visited another 16 or so houses.

Left Saturday at about 5:00 and got back as far as Lowell, MA, again. We were pretty well blasted by the time we got back on Sunday afternoon.

I understand. Blasted but excited.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:38 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
AnnapolisSailor, here's an article about the many things to do in Lubec in this Kennebec Journal link:

TRAVELIN' MAINE(RS): LUBEC: The place you'll miss when you're not there | The Kennebec Journal, Augusta, ME

Enjoy your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine