Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 06:59 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,489,740 times

Advertisements

Okay, guys, I get "where I came from".....but if you note, I added, that that didn't matter... . By the way, I didn't come from the state that exempted older people from school taxes....

So, you guys think I should drop my health insurance, and just show up on the doorstep of the hospital, with the other welfare moochers? After all, they have to treat me.... I once went to the ER with a medication reaction. I was the only one in the whole ER who even had an insurance card. Maybe I am just crazy, and should play the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 09:27 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Okay, guys, I get "where I came from".....but if you note, I added, that that didn't matter... . By the way, I didn't come from the state that exempted older people from school taxes....

So, you guys think I should drop my health insurance, and just show up on the doorstep of the hospital, with the other welfare moochers? After all, they have to treat me.... I once went to the ER with a medication reaction. I was the only one in the whole ER who even had an insurance card. Maybe I am just crazy, and should play the system.
I'm sorry you're having the issue with insurance that you're having, but this is Maine, and Maine is not exactly wealthy IMHO.

Contrary to popular belief, not all welfare recipients are "moochers." I'm not exactly sure how you knew that none of them had an insurance card. Did you do an informal poll in the waiting room?

A lot of them help you out at the local convenience store or serve you in a restaurant. Perhaps some help you find something at Wal-Mart. The thing is they make enough to qualify for Mainecare, but they either aren't offered an "in" to insurance through their employer or they can't afford the coverage on the wages they make. Tinbender hit the nail on the head - we need better jobs.

There are certainly those who abuse the system, don't get me wrong, but not everyone does. That's one of those big misnomers that talking heads like to spout off about. Ironically, it's usually the yahoos who own businesses but keep their 'income' at bare minimum (while complaining about welfare) who secretly make sure they qualify for MaineCare. True story, but I digress.

I'm hopeful that things will turn around soon. As far as homesteaders exemptions, those are offered to any homeowner (not just retirees). I'm thankful for it or I'd have to go pick up a 2nd job (since our "money saving" consolidation has helped to jack my property taxes up another $300. That's okay though because at least we now have a generator for when the power goes out (maybe 3 times a year).

Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 AM

157 posts, read 327,628 times
Disclaimer: I am not a Mainah, but soon to be relocator "awayer" to Maine.
Fortunately DH will be retired and on Medicare + he's covered by my FED health insurance.
I am currently employed with the federal DHHS agency charged with implementing the health plan "exchanges" under the ACA (aka Obamacare) to those currently uninsured who will be mandated to purchase insurance under the "exchanges" or incur penalty.

This "Free Press Online Maine article is from October 18, 2012.
Predictions for the 126th Legislature - Free Press Online - Rockland, ME

"Speaking of the ACA, Maine has passed the deadline to set up its own health insurance exchanges. However, Governor LePage has not yet announced whether he will join other governors to refuse the act's expansion of Medicare, which will come with more federal funding. Democrats will likely try to roll back the health insurance deregulations passed in the last session that have led to higher-than-average rate hikes for some older individuals and small businesses."

Anyone have any more current updates yet from your state of Maine of whether Maine( Gov. LePage ) will or will not be participating in the Federal Exchange programs, or have they declared Maine as a "waiver" state?

Old 10-30-2012, 06:06 PM

I need to clarify some things about the rest of the US. Maine is not the only state that is poor in the rural areas. Most rural areas are affected by the same economic issues. Sparse population, spread out over a large area, with most jobs barely above the minimum wage is what makes a population not wealth, not because they are across a state line.

I am originally from the dirt poor section of Appalachia. Our factories did the same thing that Maine's did. Our industries shut down because we couldn't compete with China. We were once a major textile and clothing manufacturing area. Most towns had two or three garment factories, and lucky towns had an industry based employer. Our town made carbon electrodes for steel mills. The mills moved to China, and guess what, the electrode business dried up. We didn't even have fishing, nor wood for making paper. So, I understand what you mean about poor. I had to leave my home state to find employment. Does that sound a lot like Maine? I went to a K-12 grade school, with a graduating class of 28. Today, the school is still a K-12 school. Most of us inherited a small piece of land from one of our relatives. The dirt was too poor, and the terrain too hilly to do much more than subsistence farming. I am well aware of the people who work at Walmart who qualify for public assistance, even when they work full-time. So, I don't look down my nose at people who work hard for a small wage.

Unfortunately, the people I called moochers were indeed moochers. Most every one of them had a cell phone, $120 sneakers, and were dressed to the T. Many of the women were manicured, and pedicured. Maybe I was in a twilight zone hospital. I would much prefer that every one had to have insurance of some type. Get rid of the phones, fancy shoes, and extra luxuries. Sorry to sound a bit sarcastic, but I am also tired of paying for other peoples health care. We all pay for the ones who don't have it, one way or another. I agree with Bender, we need some help, everyone that is.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Yes, healthcare needs help, for those reasons and others, Maine4.us. I'm just not confident that the Federal Gov't is a good way to go. Screw up a one car funeral.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:29 PM

Agreed, my father, who earned the purple heart in WWII, had to fight the VA for his care the rest of his life. I would hope that the private insurance companies, with government support would do better. I don't know how exactly this will play out.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:23 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Agreed, my father, who earned the purple heart in WWII, had to fight the VA for his care the rest of his life. I would hope that the private insurance companies, with government support would do better. I don't know how exactly this will play out.
I went to the VA once...never again. I wouldn't let them put a band-aid on a blister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine