Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:36 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
High prices at Shaw's? A significant number must like shopping there; otherwise, the stores would close.
Several Shaw's are scheduled to close.

I think some people shop there when they don't have many other options. In areas where there's plenty of competition, the cheaper stores do much better business.

I use Shaw's like a corner store. When I'm in a hurry and only need a few things, I'll go to Shaw's...Also, to be fair, they do have good produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,526 times
And...

All this negative talk about Maine....all the reasons why people love Maine and want to make the move are reasons why Maine has so many economic issues including lack of jobs for young people--can't have it both ways.

^Totally agree.

I've been listening to the bitching and moaning for years, mostly from my own family. They've been doing it so long, I don't even think they're aware of it anymore.

These days, I just let it go in one ear and out the other.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Several Shaw's are scheduled to close.

I think some people shop there when they don't have many other options. In areas where there's plenty of competition, the cheaper stores do much better business.

I use Shaw's like a corner store. When I'm in a hurry and only need a few things, I'll go to Shaw's...Also, to be fair, they do have good produce.
I heard that a couple years ago...some shaw's locations were going to close, but they haven't yet-maybe they are making a comeback

Old 01-01-2013, 02:57 PM

58 posts, read 95,402 times
I can say one thing about Maine and it's so called depression mentality... When the economy is way up across the country Maine stays the course and when the country is in a depression, Maine stays the course.
It may not be the best in the best of times but it isn't the worst in the worst of times either.

I like that about Maine to be very honest. I have been away and back home through three rises and two falls and I have never seen the effects of either. The people that I grew up with and around are still plodding along happily and those that don't involve themselves with the outside world seem to be much happier... not knowing how well they should be doing

I saw the same thing in deep creek MD 40 years ago. That was a depressed area beyond anything I had ever seen in Maine (anywhere in Maine) and the people weren't aware of how bad they had it. They were ignorant and happy so to speak and honestly.... I envied that about them after I left that area. They just didn't know what they were missing and therefore they didn't miss it.

This happiness to a person from outside as well when that person accepts their conditions and becomes one with that condition. If you come here from NY wanting it to be like NY then you are not going to be pleased. When you come here accepting that what makes Maine great is the lack of what you had in NY then you will be happy.

I wasn't happy with Maine when I left but the longer I stayed away the more obvious it became that money cant buy you happiness.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:03 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,411 times
I didn't hear any whining, just statements of facts. The average income for the state of Maine and my home state is almost exactly the same thing. Of course as in all cities, the pay is greater, but in the smaller ones, it is about the same.

Don't take the fact that Maine consistently ranks as a high tax state as criticism, check any of the rankings and you will see that it isn't critical, just a statement of all things considered between all states.

Some with only modest incomes cannot afford the additional taxes that Maine extracts from its retirees. The people who pay no tax at all are not affected by any tax rate that is implemented.

Don't whine when someone simply states facts about Maine. It is what it is. I'm not so sure Maine would welcome poor retirees who take more from the system than they can give.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:05 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Well, not quite that simple. 20 young people have lower health care cost than 20 old people. Maine is the oldest state in the nation, so has very high health care costs per person (average). Those costs are reflected in insurance premiums.
We limited the insurance companies here and you couldn't cross state borders for insurance. There was zero competition.

Changing for 2013 I think.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:28 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR HVAC View Post
I can say one thing about Maine and it's so called depression mentality... When the economy is way up across the country Maine stays the course and when the country is in a depression, Maine stays the course.
This has been true with the housing market (overall), but hasn't in every other facet of this long recession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR HVAC View Post
I wasn't happy with Maine when I left but the longer I stayed away the more obvious it became that money cant buy you happiness.
That's very true, but not really related to the OP. Is Maine an expensive place to live? Yes. Is it expensive enough to make you unhappy? Well, that's up to each of us.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:33 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post

Don't whine when someone simply states facts about Maine. It is what it is. I'm not so sure Maine would welcome poor retirees who take more from the system than they can give.
Hence the incentive to attract retirees that have money to spend (read pay lots of sales, property, gasoline and excise taxes). Those retirees with too little to pay income taxes (currently) are like most of Maine's working poor: either neutral or takers from the system. That's not bad, but we need more givers to pay for the takers.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
There's a presumption or assumption that people who move to Maine from outah state "have money." They may not think they "have money" but compared to most of the locals, they "have money" otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford to pay the high--maybe even ridiculous--prices for houses.
I can see that. Mainers may sometimes assume that I make more money since I am from away. Yet I do not think of myself as having a high income.

Quote:
... I consider $300 or more a month (on the yearly budget plan) to heat a house with fuel oil expensive. That's why most people I know use wood or pellets as their primary heat source and their fuel oil furnace as a back up.
I would consider that high as well.

Quote:
... All this negative talk about Maine .... all the reasons why people love Maine and want to make the move are reasons why Maine has so many economic issues including lack of jobs for young people--can't have it both ways.
I feel bad for young adults who have a hard time finding work, in any state.

Quote:
... The reason why auto insurance is lower is because of a smaller population and fewer cars on the road.
Which is part of why Maine attracts retirees like me.

Quote:
... Maine has never been known for its abundance of high paying jobs. Seems to me the same issues facing Maine now are nothing new; only thing that's changed in the last 100 years prices/cost of living have increased and people can talk about all of it now on the Internet. To everyone thinking about moving to Maine--Do your homework BEFORE you move. Don't move and then start complaining about Maine....no whining...
No whining here.

If Maine had an abundance of high paying jobs, the COL would double. Everywhere that has jobs, costs more to live.

Anywhere I live I bring Federal money into the local economy. It is not going to have any effect in a prosperous area, because they are already prospering [and have the request high prices]. It can only help in depressed areas.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:29 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
I didn't hear any whining, just statements of facts. Of course you didn't hear any whining; you're from away. I'm trying to get you to understand how your comments could be perceived by the locals. I would imagine you have a very different perspective on many things. The average income for the state of Maine and my home state is almost exactly the same thing. Of course as in all cities, the pay is greater, but in the smaller ones, it is about the same.

Don't take the fact that Maine consistently ranks as a high tax state as criticism, check any of the rankings and you will see that it isn't critical, just a statement of all things considered between all states. Please provide links to this wealth of information--ALL things considered for ALL states.

Some with only modest incomes cannot afford the additional taxes that Maine extracts from its retirees. The people who pay no tax at all are not affected by any tax rate that is implemented.

The State of Maine has enough of its "own" poor people without having to welcome poor people from away. Obviously people who pay no tax at all are not affected by any tax rate that is implemented. That falls under stating the obvious. People who plan to retire to Maine need to find out what they will be paying in taxes before making the move....not expecting things to change to accommodate them after their arrival. You call it stating facts; I call it complaining.

Are you really gathering data for "all things considered between/among ALL states?" You are comparing Maine to your home state. That's only one state. The average income for one entire state really doesn't address "all" things for "all" states. For example, consider average family or per capita income for Washington County vs. Hancock County vs. Cumberland County or take a look by town or city....huge differences...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine