Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 AM

3 posts, read 4,048 times

Advertisements

I have a question for the people of Maine. My wife and I are considering moving to Maine, we are full aware of the taxes (some of Ohio's are higher, no excise tax though.) and our climates are very similar so my main(e) question is; how are the people? I know that sounds general but "in general" the attitudes where we are now are pretty snobby and petty. Everyone is judged by where they go to church, what they have and their surname. We understand that mentality will be anywhere but that's Ohio in general.
So my question is, what matters to the people of Maine, family or money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 08:36 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiAj83 View Post
I have a question for the people of Maine. My wife and I are considering moving to Maine, we are full aware of the taxes (some of Ohio's are higher, no excise tax though.) and our climates are very similar so my main(e) question is; how are the people? I know that sounds general but "in general" the attitudes where we are now are pretty snobby and petty. Everyone is judged by where they go to church, what they have and their surname. We understand that mentality will be anywhere but that's Ohio in general.
Attitude. We're generally easy going until someone gets condescending toward us.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:44 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
We don't care about your family or your money. We care about you. Most of Maine is a low hassle society. There are areas where you just don't want to settle. There are towns that sound just like your area in Ohio. Those towns have as many as 32 different zones regulating what you can do with your property.

There are also towns with no zoning. We like freedom. In our town the most expensive home in town is next to an older 2 bedroom mobile home. The two owners were in kindergarten together. They played Little League together. They hunted and fished all their lives together. Why should government tell these two old friends they can't be neighbors?

That's probably the best example I can give about Maine. Before you buy, talk to somebody who knows the difference. You can't tell by riding down the road.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:33 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
There are parts of Maine that are very different from each other, so it's kind of hard to answer the question. As a whole, Maine gets more and more separated into different "areas" every day.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:27 PM

625 posts, read 792,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
There are parts of Maine that are very different from each other, so it's kind of hard to answer the question. As a whole, Maine gets more and more separated into different "areas" every day.
This is the truth. There are two Maines at least.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:52 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiAj83 View Post
most mainers despise arrogance and putting on heirs...we dont like fake people...or anyone trying to look down on anyone else,,we also dont judge on the church preferences

live and let live

Old 11-04-2012, 04:00 PM
JC3

296 posts, read 824,365 times
If it was based on money....heck we would move to Ohio.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,048 times
Sounds perfect! I think we've decided but were making a trip in January. It sounds like were going to love it.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:51 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
People in Maine are generally the nicest people I met anywhere, and tied with Germany during the summer of 2006. Of course it was World Cup there and the whole country was on their bestest behavior.

Jump right into your new community and offer to help and work.

Of course if you move into a community where you are one of a very small number of "from away" people you may have more difficulty fitting in, but it will be because you are new, not because the people are snobby. If you move into a place where 40% of the population came from somewhere else, then it will be easier for you.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:59 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
RiAj83,

P;an an extra day in January in case of bad weather. The sun can be out and sometimes you can't see to drive because of blowing snow. In January anything can happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine