Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 02:34 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
I think there is an actual Volvo line! It's the Volvo dealership on Main St. in Topsham. 'Sounds about right, geographically.

I drove by it the other day and smirked because I thought of this forum.
be careful, you will ruffle some feathers, some folks dont have a sense of humor.... about the whole volvo line

this volvo either crossed the volvo line, or someone put a romney for president bumper sticker on the car

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 02:56 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
Speak about ugly, I drive a pea green 1970 Gremlin in the summer (not kidding(

Short wheel base car, doesn't drive good in the snow/ice.
I dated a girl once who drove a Datsun B210 'honeybee', the factory paint job was yellow with black stripes.

That was an ugly vehicle.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:15 PM

489 posts, read 1,210,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I dated a girl once who drove a Datsun B210 'honeybee', the factory paint job was yellow with black stripes.

That was an ugly vehicle.
Probably worth a few bucks today as a collector.

Just watch,,,,a few years (maybe 10-20) from now, the Pontiac Aztec will be a sought after vehicle.

In my above post, I should have said short-wheel base REAR WHEEL drive cars are bad in winter.
Not too long ago I had a shorty '90 Dodge Daytona front wheel drive with snows on all 4 wheels and that thing would go through anything. Fun car in winter, but the rust beetle got it.

This past summer I put the Gremlin in the 4-day (huge) Iola Car Show in Iola, WI. A few thousand cars there. Parking guys there said they've never seen a car get so much attention as the Gremlin did. Go figure. Back in the day, salvage yard operators said they looked forward to and enjoyed crushing them.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
be careful, you will ruffle some feathers, some folks dont have a sense of humor.... about the whole volvo line

this volvo either crossed the volvo line, or someone put a romney for president bumper sticker on the car

I wonder if they managed to save the Nordic Walking Sticks?

Old 12-10-2012, 06:30 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Besides the tire commissioner slyfox, how many on here use winter studded tires? or use all-season/3 season tires?

of course its a good idea to have winter tires,,,,,, but if you are a cautious driver, all season radials are fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
If I could afford it, I would probably get winter tires. That being said, I lived in WI for 20+ years and now in Maine for 3 years and I've always just used all-season tires. The plows, especially in my neck of the woods (Camden) do a great job keeping the roads clear. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
i drive more than most and only one year did I have winter tires-it came with the car

I'm with you, yes, its a good idea to have winter tires, but Ive had all season tires most winters, and I think its more important to be a cautious driver.
Well, this morning it was snowing, mixed snow and rain and I beat the snow plows out, at least in my town. Seriously, they had NOT been out. I drove from my place all the way to just past Frankfort going about 30 mph with my all seasons, (I have Mud and Snow, I assume those are the same?)

That's when I met up with my co-worker who I carpool with from that point on and he, thankfully, has studs on his tires so he got to drive the rest of the way. It was really only necessary until just past Belfast. In Camden and beyond, it was just rain.

But, something else to consider....I have a very light vehicle. I drive a Kia. The M+S tires kept me on the road because I drove so slow, (and really do not wish to endure that for 65 miles), but I could feel little slips here and there which I think is due to the lightness of my car. I'm not sure if studs or winter tires would do much to change that? Even if I put a bag of sand in the car, is that really going to weigh it down enough to keep from sliding or will I have to be the slowest person on the road, like I was this morning?

Old 12-10-2012, 07:47 PM

264 posts, read 758,518 times
I drive a kia soul and last year I got studded snow tires.... I LOVE them! My sister came up from NJ and drove my car for 1 week when I had surgery and she also LOVED the studded snow tires. Without them, I slide and skid a bit, but with them, while still careful... I can feel them grip the road SO much better and I just feel safer with them on. I now swear by studded snow tires for my smaller car.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Well, this morning it was snowing, mixed snow and rain and I beat the snow plows out, at least in my town. Seriously, they had NOT been out. I drove from my place all the way to just past Frankfort going about 30 mph with my all seasons, (I have Mud and Snow, I assume those are the same?)

That's when I met up with my co-worker who I carpool with from that point on and he, thankfully, has studs on his tires so he got to drive the rest of the way. It was really only necessary until just past Belfast. In Camden and beyond, it was just rain.

But, something else to consider....I have a very light vehicle. I drive a Kia. The M+S tires kept me on the road because I drove so slow, (and really do not wish to endure that for 65 miles), but I could feel little slips here and there which I think is due to the lightness of my car. I'm not sure if studs or winter tires would do much to change that? Even if I put a bag of sand in the car, is that really going to weigh it down enough to keep from sliding or will I have to be the slowest person on the road, like I was this morning?

this morning was pretty slick depending on where you are, I went north on 95 augusta area wasnt bad ,,,,when i got to waterville, it was freezing rain,,,,after snow,,,and slushy,,,this is one of the worst conditions,,because the slush can grab your tire(s)

I took some driving videos, and when I upload them, i'll give some helpful hints in different conditions

Id rather drive in all snow than freezing rain,,,had a lot of yahoos flying by in 4 wheel drive ....but also saw three vehicles off the road...

if you do have a light car- you are wise to go slow,,,i had a ford focus,,,it did fairly decent in snow, but was a very light compact car
as for putting more weight in a smaller front wheel drive car....i've got different responses from different mechanics...most said yes it is wise to add weight to a rear wheel drive vehicle,,,but not for a front wheel drive

Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,149,895 times
You are going to drive the road conditions either way. Studs don't make a bad road clear. However, you know my road, we have black ice most of the season, I haven't slid or spun since we put studs on the car.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
this morning was pretty slick depending on where you are, I went north on 95 augusta area wasnt bad ,,,,when i got to waterville, it was freezing rain,,,,after snow,,,and slushy,,,this is one of the worst conditions,,because the slush can grab your tire(s)

I took some driving videos, and when I upload them, i'll give some helpful hints in different conditions

Id rather drive in all snow than freezing rain,,,had a lot of yahoos flying by in 4 wheel drive ....but also saw three vehicles off the road...

if you do have a light car- you are wise to go slow,,,i had a ford focus,,,it did fairly decent in snow, but was a very light compact car
as for putting more weight in a smaller front wheel drive car....i've got different responses from different mechanics...most said yes it is wise to add weight to a rear wheel drive vehicle,,,but not for a front wheel drive
I would love to see those videos. It has been a very long time since I've driven in snow, (minus last year with something like one decent...ish...snow day), and yes, the slush is horrible.

I would not mind driving that slow but I am, literally, the slowest person on the road. Even grandmas are passing me. I don't like to be in people's way. If I'm going a short distance, whatever, they can wait but I don't want to force people to sit behind my slow backside for 65 miles. When there is a neighborhood, I pull over around someone's driveway and allow people to pass, out of courtesy, but when there is no place to pull over or it looks like I'll get stuck if I do...it's a little stressful for me.

I'm sure someone might say, "Who cares, they can wait" but that doesn't work for me. I do not like to hold people up like that. I feel that it can cause accidents but I'm not going to go faster for them because, again, my car does not weigh as much as a big truck, (not a semi, like a Ford something).

I know other people seem to have no issues whatsoever with having a mile long line up behind them, (as happened the other day...do these people not have rear view mirrors?), but I am not like that, I try to be courteous. This is the only thing I can't resolve when the weather is bad. Which, I also don't understand...why do these people drive like snails when the road is clear and dry but when it's bad weather, ZOOM!!!!!! off they go. Some of these people have it backwards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
You are going to drive the road conditions either way. Studs don't make a bad road clear. However, you know my road, we have black ice most of the season, I haven't slid or spun since we put studs on the car.
Yes, your road...it's interesting enough when it's clear, bright and the road is dry! I can't even imagine driving that with black ice. You have skill. When I get my check in January, I'm going to break down and get some studded tires. (This will ensure that it will NOT snow again the entire season.) Just have to make it till then. Sigh.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2ME View Post
I drive a kia soul and last year I got studded snow tires.... I LOVE them! My sister came up from NJ and drove my car for 1 week when I had surgery and she also LOVED the studded snow tires. Without them, I slide and skid a bit, but with them, while still careful... I can feel them grip the road SO much better and I just feel safer with them on. I now swear by studded snow tires for my smaller car.
Even a Soul doesn't weigh much, though it weighs a teensy bit more than my Rio. So...I'm convinced. When I finally have the cash, I'll get them.

When you say, "while still careful", would you still drive say 30mph like you did without them or do you feel you can go maybe 40mph? (Still well under speed limit.) I won't drive like a bat out of hell feeling like the studded tires will prevent me from careening off the road, I just want to know, from your experience with a Kia, if you were able to comfortably go just a bit faster?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine