Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:21 PM

6 posts, read 14,445 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I have lived in Pennsylvania my ENTIRE life, but lately I have seriously been considering a change of scenery! The area in which I live is just not the same anymore. Bordering towns are being flooded with illegal immigration, crime is on the rise, and overall things are on the decline! It has become a stomping ground.

For some reason, the Maine lifestyle is just appealing to me despite never being there, but I'm planning a trip soon. I envision some areas as being laid back, simple, and an outdoor/nature person's mecca.

I'm looking for some good areas for my wife and daughters away from the hustle/bustle style of the city that has low crime and is peaceful and quiet. I don't mind driving 30-45 min to work if needed.

I'm not looking to come to Maine and get rich, I'm just looking for a more peaceful and simple style of living. So a semi rural area with affordable housing that has nearby lakes, rivers, mountains would be ideal.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 08:42 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Semi rural is all over Maine You really need to consider the type of work you do (job availability) and what part of the state you want to be in. Schools, shopping and housing are all factors to look into. Maine,.. (at least my part of it) is a much more laid back lifestyle, along with that you have to remember patience. Many people come here wanting a slower lifestyle but then expect instant service from locals, (who STAY here for the lifestyle)

Old 10-11-2007, 09:02 PM

Semi rural all over the place, thats a plus! I have ten years in public service as an EMT and 911 Operator, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route once I come to Maine? Maybe as a temporary kind of thing, but I'd like to find something different.

Laid back and easy going is what I'm after. That's why I would like to avoid city and suburb/metro kind of areas.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:56 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
DH was told by several different counties that EMTs are in high demand there. Reciprocity is an easy process as well. You should be able to find work in your field to sustain yourself at least until you find something else that you really want to do. Good luck!

Old 10-12-2007, 10:04 AM

312 posts, read 725,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helms25 View Post
Hello:

I have lived in Pennsylvania my ENTIRE life, but lately I have seriously been considering a change of scenery! The area in which I live is just not the same anymore. Bordering towns are being flooded with illegal immigration, crime is on the rise, and overall things are on the decline! It has become a stomping ground.

For some reason, the Maine lifestyle is just appealing to me despite never being there, but I'm planning a trip soon. I envision some areas as being laid back, simple, and an outdoor/nature person's mecca.

I'm looking for some good areas for my wife and daughters away from the hustle/bustle style of the city that has low crime and is peaceful and quiet. I don't mind driving 30-45 min to work if needed.

I'm not looking to come to Maine and get rich, I'm just looking for a more peaceful and simple style of living. So a semi rural area with affordable housing that has nearby lakes, rivers, mountains would be ideal.

Thanks
May I ask what part of Pennsylvania you live in? Me, my husband and teenaged son also live in Pennsylvania (suburbs of Reading) and wish to move to Maine as well for the same reasons as you....we've never been there, either....

Here's to both of us making the move UP from Pennsy to Maine!

...Sue

Old 10-12-2007, 05:10 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
I have best friends who grew up in Pen and are now living just down the road in Robbinston....they love it here.....he was in the service, and they'd done enough traveling in other parts of the country to know they wanted to be in New England....after their visit to Maine there was never a doubt that they would raise their children here

and except for liking the Phillies, they've fit right in!

Old 10-12-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapestry View Post
May I ask what part of Pennsylvania you live in? Me, my husband and teenaged son also live in Pennsylvania (suburbs of Reading) and wish to move to Maine as well for the same reasons as you....we've never been there, either....

Here's to both of us making the move UP from Pennsy to Maine!

...Sue
Hi Sue, best of luck with your move! I come from the Hazleton area pretty much between Allentown and Wilkes Barre. Much like Reading, it is not the area it once was. Like I have always said "When too much of the city comes to the country, the country becomes the city"

It may be a difficult transition for your teenager since he will be entering a new high school, not knowing anyone, etc but I think he will be better off out of the Reading area. This area of PA has a terrible drug problem and violent crimes. It' all over the place anymore no matter where you turn, and there is very little being done to stop it.

I just want to get back to the basics of life, no thrills or frills, just living the good life and Maine seems to meet that appeal.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:52 PM

I found a few houses that I like in Washington County, towns are Pembroke and Waite. What kind of area is this? Real estate seems pretty cheap, so that may or may not throw up a red flag for me. Is there industry and other jobs in this county?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:50 PM

312 posts, read 725,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helms25 View Post
Hi Sue, best of luck with your move! I come from the Hazleton area pretty much between Allentown and Wilkes Barre. Much like Reading, it is not the area it once was. Like I have always said "When too much of the city comes to the country, the country becomes the city"

It may be a difficult transition for your teenager since he will be entering a new high school, not knowing anyone, etc but I think he will be better off out of the Reading area. This area of PA has a terrible drug problem and violent crimes. It' all over the place anymore no matter where you turn, and there is very little being done to stop it.

I just want to get back to the basics of life, no thrills or frills, just living the good life and Maine seems to meet that appeal.
Yes, I hear ya.....Maine is calling to us, too!

As for our son, we're not sure what to do....he is in 11th grade now and if we move to Maine this summer, he'll be starting a new school in a new state in his senior year, however, my husband and I are absolutely chomping on the bit to move to Maine by this summer when he's between grades, although we want to do what's best for him which would probably mean postponing our Maine move till he graduates in the summer of 2009....he wants to go into the Navy after graduation and be a Navy Seal, so I guess that would be a more optimal time for my husband and I to move to Maine....

However, it's really, really hard to have to wait that long!!!

We plan on visiting Maine this summer, though, to hopefully narrow down where we wanna live.....are you planning on visiting Maine, too, before you move or are you gonna just take the plunge?

We were looking at some houses, too, that were in Pembroke that seemed too good to be true as far as the pricing.....probably the same ones you looked at! I know it's probably pointless to be looking now, tho, but I can't help myself....

Anyway, the best of luck to you and your family....keep us posted as to where you end up moving to!

P.S. You're totally right about Reading -- not a very good area at all -- and even tho we're in the better area of town in the suburbs, the crime and drugs are starting to creep into there as well....can't wait to get outta here!!!

Sorry this is so long, but for anyone else reading this -- are there any really *bad* areas of Maine to avoid? It doesn't seem like there are, although, I'm sure every state has areas that are nice and ones that aren't so nice...

...Sue (sorry for the diarrhea of the fingers!) hehehe

Old 10-12-2007, 09:55 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
LOL, if he wants to be a SEAL he'd better get used to packing his stuff and moving when he's told, and doing other stuff he might not really want to do...the sooner the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine