Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 03:15 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Ok, you got me on the potatoes! Holy Cow! So THAT's how Z eats on $1/day.

We're paying $2.88/5lb bag of small-med sized russetts. We can get 10lb for double that amount. Some places have 15lb bags that go on sale occasionally. That's the only time I buy them in bulk anymore, since there isn't a real savings.
and if you are on the ball, you can apparently find lots of farmers who will let you "glean" the fields after the mechanical harvesters are done...

I didn't do that this year but KAF mentioned it early on and just today my neighbor mentioned doing it -- though also not this year. So come potato time next year I'll ask her who I should talk to in this area, with an offer to "share the harvest" when I am done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 04:12 PM

37,444 posts, read 61,360,276 times
I got a tonne of oats for $200 a couple weeks ago.

Then I got barley, which goes for $301 a tonne.

In the next week or so I go to get corn. I have been quoted $260 a tonne for corn.

I do not think that you can match those prices down in Mass.

When I am done mixing my 'sweet feed' I should be looking at about $6.83 per 50# bag.

I doubt that you can get sweet feed in Mass for under $20 a bag.

Of course one bag of oats will likely be held on the side for Dw's breads, a bag of barley for our beer, and a bag of corn for the squeezins.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:17 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
and if you are on the ball, you can apparently find lots of farmers who will let you "glean" the fields after the mechanical harvesters are done...
Broccoli and other commodity crops can also be gleaned from some farmers.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:52 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Broccoli and other commodity crops can also be gleaned from some farmers.
well if you have any suggestions as to who to query in my neck 'o the state, let me know...

Old 10-21-2008, 08:15 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,246 times
Dang it! I just got home from Searsport on Sunday night and realized I had forgotten to check on potatoes! lol Does anyone know if the Belfast Co-op sells local Maine potatoes?

Old 10-22-2008, 07:45 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
well if you have any suggestions as to who to query in my neck 'o the state, let me know...
Call/email the Penobscot County Cooperative Extension office in Bangor and ask- they will usually know which farms are open for gleaning.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,605 times
hey my name is hayleigh iam 16 and i live in england my dad has been offerd a job in maine im so excited for a really big change but i dont really know what maine is like and if it would be even possible for me to adapt there.so if anyone would like to help and tell me what maine is like i would be really gratefull,i would just like to know what school is like there

Old 03-15-2009, 04:06 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,588 times
Default Want to Live in Maine

Houlton? My goodness, I lived not far from there for 12 years. Houlton is a nice town, good schools, nice people, ample availability to shopping, one movie theater (unless they have put yet another one in since I left). They actually have a McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Walmart..has grown a lot over the years. As for work along your lines, I am not sure. With your husband's profession he may have to go further north to Presque Isle as I am not sure what is there for crime reconstruction...not much crime up there at all. Go on the Houlton website and check things out or try www.houltonlive.com You might find some stuff there. I loved my time up in that area. The people are amazingly nice and helpful.

Good luck and great choice in places to live.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:33 AM

40 posts, read 102,012 times
We retired and left Maine and moved to Florida in 2005. Still own the old 10 acre homestead with 1,500 feet of lake frontage and our huge old farmhouse, but have decided to empty it out, getting rid of the stuff from our many years of family raising and put the place on the market. We have been summering in Maine, and until this year we paid for the heating oil to keep the house slightly warm (50 degrees) all winter. In this crazy economic climate of 2009 we concluded couldn't afford it and also pay for air conditioning in Florida. Still had the driveway in Maine plowed.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:58 AM

37,444 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northporter View Post
We retired and left Maine and moved to Florida in 2005. Still own the old 10 acre homestead with 1,500 feet of lake frontage and our huge old farmhouse, but have decided to empty it out, getting rid of the stuff from our many years of family raising and put the place on the market. We have been summering in Maine, and until this year we paid for the heating oil to keep the house slightly warm (50 degrees) all winter. In this crazy economic climate of 2009 we concluded couldn't afford it and also pay for air conditioning in Florida. Still had the driveway in Maine plowed.
Driving around, I have seen many properties that sound like what you are describing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: