Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:35 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,928 times

Advertisements

Lowe's Foods here in NC offers curbside pick-up of groceries you order online. Place your order online, pull up to the store and they load your order into your car. In the midwest there were a few services that actually delivered to your home. I don't know if I would necessarily order meat and produce online. It's something I like to see with my own eyes before buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 07:00 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveitinmaine View Post
I do a bit of shopping online, but groceries? No way, really ? What's the deal - do they deliver/ship? Is it local stores only? Is it even offered in Maine? I want more info !!!
i believe it(delivery) was offered by shaws and possibly hannaford, in the southern part of maine (where the population density is) about 8 yrs ago, however i think they dropped it, because of a 15 or 25 delivery charge,,,also, from the stores point of view they ran into issues of transporting alcohol, if the store drivers werent old enough.

a 15-25$ delivery charge, means you have to order quite a bit, to make the convenience a cost benefit,,,,but also, i believe many want to "see" the produce before they buy, and meat too.

i believe there is a grocery delivery service,,around the bangor area,,,thats not associated with the grocery stores (being an employee)
its not a bad idea, elderly folks, pregnant woman,,mobility challenged folks, jjust to name a few, the service may fit a need..

im just curious,,,if thier was an online grocerystore,,,or a website, online from your local grocerystore,,would it be used,??

would you, (Potential customers) want email alerts ,,of weekly ads,,or special discounts items,,or truckload meat sales,??

i know a couple store owners toying with the idea of starting a website and trying to get the public ..to order from it,,
the advantages are huge from the stores point of view, if a store can advertise items with pictures,,,and customers order those items,,,,you dont have to pay someone to stock the shelves,,and its a guaranteed sale,,no shrink (from perishable items)
from the customers point of view,,if the order is in,,they just have to ,,pick it up,,,only takes 3-5 minutes thats it!
and,,if it is an independent grocerystore,,im sure they would consider delivering it,,i know a few stores that deliver now,,,one store being in lincoln.

on one level,,schwanns is already doing this, and thier sales have tripled statewide in the past 3 yrs.
they have ,,the meal specific pamphlets,,price per serving, and they of course deliver.
but,,if one were to be frugal and ask,,,the actual cost,,of some of these entree's (per pound, say of meat) they are very high,,but then again ,,you are paying for convenience,,,

thanx for all your replies,,this is an interesting topic to me,,

Old 04-14-2007, 08:37 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Go to Peapod.com and the grocerygame.com to "borrow" ideas of how online grocery shopping and coupon and sales alerts work. Both services are great. I used peapod.com when I was on bedrest while pregnant and I use the grocerygame.com to save money.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 PM

33 posts, read 66,108 times
Brewer has a Save-A Lot cheaper than wal-mart In swanville we have a AG store that is good.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:41 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,602 times
what about reny's ? are they all over maine or just in a few locations.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:44 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Portland got a Trader Joes recently. I have yet to check it out.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/snea...010-10-28.html

Old 11-20-2010, 08:53 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
what about reny's ? are they all over maine or just in a few locations.
Wells,Saco,Pittsfield,Madison,Gardiner,Farmington, Ellsworth,Dexter, Damaricotta-(2 stores),Camden,Brigton,Bath,Belfast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: