Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 10:44 PM

489 posts, read 1,210,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I hope you don't expect KMR HVAC to commute to Wisconsin to stay busy year round.
Heck, if Maine doesn't work out for him ( but I'm sure it will) he could come here instead of going back to Ohio, ugh.

Side Note: HVAC guys don't make any money off me....I'm a 100% - 24/7 wood burner, for 4 or 5 straight years now. Got a pre-EPA Johnson Energy Wood Burner with a nice big blower fan on it. Burning well seasoned oak. I keep a couple extra fan motors on hand, just in case.

Anyway, to stay on topic, I spent 7 years in Maine back in the day, and all the good things people say about it; I have to agree. Rockland area and Lubec
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,017 times
What makes Maine special for me is the little things. Driving is not a blood sport like in Massachusetts. People are a bit friendlier, Amish Farmers Markets, spagetti suppers for local charities. Not dreading having to go to the DMV and not having it take 6+ hours! UPS being able to leave a package without it walking away. Kayaking on the lake. Posting pictures and having my family and friends be jealous of our beautiful scenery or humbled by our wicked snowy wintahs!

I love when company says they never sleep as good anywhere else than at my house. Is it the fresh air?

Used to be I was a bit intimidated by the wide open spaces here and now I feel other places are piled upon each other. I like that Bangor is sprawling rather than just monstrously tall buildings. I like that people look out for each other. My car broke down and I called Triple A. They got there within half an hour. I still had a dozen strangers ask if they could see if they could fix my car for me or if I needed a ride. Even had one couple offer to share their lunch with me as I waited.

I like that I can start a conversation with someone at the checkout line and they'll chat instead of looking at me like I'm crazy for daring to chat. I like that neighborhood kids knock at the door and ask if my dogs can come out to play!

Being in Maine is special for me and I LOVE IT!!!

Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
What makes Maine special for me is the little things. Driving is not a blood sport like in Massachusetts. People are a bit friendlier, Amish Farmers Markets, spagetti suppers for local charities. Not dreading having to go to the DMV and not having it take 6+ hours! UPS being able to leave a package without it walking away. Kayaking on the lake. Posting pictures and having my family and friends be jealous of our beautiful scenery or humbled by our wicked snowy wintahs!

I love when company says they never sleep as good anywhere else than at my house. Is it the fresh air?

Used to be I was a bit intimidated by the wide open spaces here and now I feel other places are piled upon each other. I like that Bangor is sprawling rather than just monstrously tall buildings. I like that people look out for each other. My car broke down and I called Triple A. They got there within half an hour. I still had a dozen strangers ask if they could see if they could fix my car for me or if I needed a ride. Even had one couple offer to share their lunch with me as I waited.

I like that I can start a conversation with someone at the checkout line and they'll chat instead of looking at me like I'm crazy for daring to chat. I like that neighborhood kids knock at the door and ask if my dogs can come out to play!

Being in Maine is special for me and I LOVE IT!!!
Nice post. Gave me a nice early morning smile. Glad you like it here. Sounds like you fit right in, opening right up at checkout.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:40 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,340 times
I agree....that original post gave me a early morning smile as well!

Old 01-26-2013, 06:37 AM

30,487 posts, read 16,198,344 times
My only childhood memory of Maine: I was 10 or 11. We were on a camping trip to New England and schooched over to the very southern tip of Maine just to see the ocean. ' We' being my parents, sister, and I; had a little Scotty trailer. Anyway, I got up about 5AM so I could sit on the beach and see the sunrise. It was so cloudy, couldn't see anything of the sun. But I do remember sitting alone on the beach. 50+ yrs later, I still remember it.

Since I live in NE PA, wildlife, while appreciated, is no novelty. I've never seen a moose but we do have elk in the SW part of the state. (I've never seen one of them either)

Beautiful scenery, yes. Definitely a plus.

But it's mostly the people. Helpful, friendly but not invasive. They seem to have a knack for being there but still respecting your privacy. And there's so much talent-not just the artistic kind but creativity when it comes to making a living. Find a need, fill it, get paid. maybe not a lot but greed is not one of their strong suits; that's a good thing. Maybe for me, that's the best thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine