Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 02:01 PM

581 posts, read 712,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I am very, very sad and angry that I see this new law really pushing many, many lobstermen right out of the industry. And with that, I see the cultural devastation that will come along the coast..
I appreciate what you are saying. Unfortunately, and I don't like expressing this, but, how many people on this board, save for a few of us native hicks, could really care less about preserving the coastal cultural heritage*, not to mention the general Maine "culture"? That's not to say that those who have already expressed empathy on this thread aren't sincere - they are, but we're all friends, or something like that. Most others will quickly wonder, "Does that mean the price of coastal property will go down?", and, "Holy s**t, what's that gonna do to the cost of lobsters?"

*You can buy it in a can (cd): Bert & I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 02:02 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
this sort of thing is very much on my mind these days; at the community night at the local museum last night, it was pointed out that there is no longer a single "fish house" on the island where the museum sits -- which used to be a hub for the industry. And there were "buy boats" on the waters, too... from fish houses in the large communities on the mainland, plying the waters between the banks and the island. Now, for the few fishermen that remain, the few buy boats that also remain are the only option they have for selling their catch, unless the sell out of their homes.

And of course it trickles down... folks can't make a living so they "have to" sell.. investors drive up prices so those who try to stay can't afford the taxes... those who supply the fishermen suffer...

My friend, Nicky, who has a company called "harvey and sons net and twine" and used to make fish nets and supply that industry had pretty much gotten out of the net and twine end and was only making crab pots (traps) when I first got to know him only 5 yrs ago.

He had a bright idea to make "christmas trees" from leftover bits of the material and they were a hit so they started doing that in the "off season". Then there was more "off" than "on" and now the trees are his main business and he pretty much doesn't use his real business name any more!
Here is one of his little trees (they come with the lights already on, and are made so you can just fold them flat for storage after the holidays!) that I have on the porch, decorated with a strand of autumn leaves.

He's been written up in our state magazine, as an example of an enterprising way that the coastal businesses have to change to survive.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:10 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidoftheNorth View Post
I appreciate what you are saying. Unfortunately, and I don't like expressing this, but, how many people on this board, save for a few of us native hicks, could really care less about preserving the coastal cultural heritage*, not to mention the general Maine "culture"? That's not to say that those who have already expressed empathy on this thread aren't sincere - they are, but we're all friends, or something like that. Most others will quickly wonder, "Does that mean the price of coastal property will go down?", and, "Holy s**t, what's that gonna do to the cost of lobsters?"

*You can buy it in a can (cd): Bert & I.
David, you're absolutely right in what you say, and you say it well.....how many people really do care? and that, my friend, is where the danger lies....because when there aren't enough to care to make a difference, the heritage along Maine's coast will be forever changed....and we will be a coastline filled with "people from away" and the natives who can afford to live there, but know nothing of what lies in the ocean, and what it means to work that ocean for a livelihood.... --- and if you don't "know" it, and appreciate it, how can you care for it??

Last edited by mollysmiles; 10-17-2007 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-17-2007, 03:19 PM

Thanks, Molly. Maybe we're being a little harsh, but I don't think way excessively. And change is a constant part of life. But, thinking a little further, it dawned on me like a lightning bolt: You know who likes lobsters? Rich people. Where are the going to get lobsters? Lobster farms? Deerislesmiles, do you know Ted Ames? He lives down your way and he's doing innovative research into various aspects of aquaculture. So, maybe there are some glimmers of hope, but also anxiety of uncertainty.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:31 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Can lobsters be farmed? Or would they die?

Old 10-17-2007, 04:02 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidoftheNorth View Post
Thanks, Molly. Maybe we're being a little harsh, but I don't think way excessively. And change is a constant part of life. But, thinking a little further, it dawned on me like a lightning bolt: You know who likes lobsters? Rich people. Where are the going to get lobsters? Lobster farms? Deerislesmiles, do you know Ted Ames? He lives down your way and he's doing innovative research into various aspects of aquaculture. So, maybe there are some glimmers of hope, but also anxiety of uncertainty.
I'm sure that my reaction, because this directly impacts me and just about everyone I love or even like, is much more passionate than most- I completely realize that. I don't expect a lot of interest, but do think it's something that even inlanders should at least be aware of.

And yes- I know Ted. He and his wife (Robin Alden) have done so much for the good of commercial fishing and fishermen. I really admire them for their efforts. They are currently trying a lobster hatchery here in Stonington (Penobscot East Resource Center), which (if I have it straight) is being used only to hatch the lobsters and release them into the ocean- not for the purpose of creating a lobster farm, though I am sure there are some that are examining that possibillity as well.

I like lobster. I'm not rich.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:37 PM

The meek shall inherit the world; the rich will eat its lobsters.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:43 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Maine used to have a law that hotels could not feed their employees lobster more than 3 days a week. It wasn't that the government wanted to save lobsters for the tourists. The help was sick and tired of eating lobsters.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:44 PM

well, I prefer the claws....maybe the claws will be too much work and they'll throw them to me??

the good news is that the plane went up and guess what? NO whales were spotted....and aren't we all so surprised....so, no DAM....but there's still the rope problem for '08

Old 10-17-2007, 05:46 PM

nmlm, when I was in high school and college I waitressed summers in a very nice restaurant in Eastport....I never ate a lobster the entire time....just got so icky with the smell....even now, they aren't my first choice---I'm a scallop girl I can totally relate to that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine