Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:48 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,638,752 times

Advertisements

Duplicated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 06:02 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,570,682 times
Wink lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Maine used to have a law that hotels could not feed their employees lobster more than 3 days a week. It wasn't that the government wanted to save lobsters for the tourists. The help was sick and tired of eating lobsters.
LOL!

In colonial days, when the lobsters used to wash up on shore. they would feed 'em to the swine.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:16 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,745,271 times
deerislesmile-

I am moved by your love for your community!
And I can tell this whole issue is just tearing you apart.

Anything any of us can do to help? Write letters to someone???
Please let me ( us) know.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:20 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,643,335 times
according to a story in the Bangor Daily News (online) today, the order was rescinded.

Is this just "round one?" or will this be revisited every time someone thinks they have seen a whale heading towards ME?

Old 10-18-2007, 06:37 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,077,714 times
NMFS (National Marine Fisheries Service) can do this every time they think a whale has been spotted in the fishing areas.....

and the problem with the rope having to be changed before October 2008 is still an issue for them

Old 10-18-2007, 07:45 AM

37,374 posts, read 61,226,154 times
Ocean water is very bad for most types of rope. I would think that at least 10% of all lines must be replaced each year anyway.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:30 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,638,752 times
If a lobsterman has 800 traps we are looking at about 2.2 miles of rope if he's an inshore fisherman. It is much more if he fishes deep water.

"Is this just "round one?" or will this be revisited "

This about Round 7 in the assault on our fishing industry. The environmental industry is attacking our fishermen, farmers and loggers. They don't give up. If you sit down and negotiate with a few environmental groups and reach an agreement it is just a starting point for the next batch of environmental groups. You can't satisfy them. There is no end to it. When sitting down at a table with them, ask them what they bring to the table to give up. They don't ever give anything up. It the Mainer who loses each and every time.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:17 AM

581 posts, read 710,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
nmlm, when I was in high school and college I waitressed summers in a very nice restaurant in Eastport....I never ate a lobster the entire time....just got so icky with the smell....even now, they aren't my first choice---I'm a scallop girl I can totally relate to that....
This is not an appetizing observation, designed for distribution by the Maine Propaganda Bureau, but,...did you know that lobsters (and crabs) are considered bugs? Remember that next time you tie your bib on! Lobsters are members of the phylum Arthropoda, and I won't persist with further detail. (Next time you feel the urge to be critical of Asians for some of the disgusting things they eat, think again.) One thing's for sure though - lobsters taste damn good. But I'm with Molly - I prefer scallops. DeerIslesmile - I don't mean any offense, and as an inland hick, I totally appreciate your concern and anguish. Up here in inland hick-Maine, i.e. northeast of the Volvo Line, we've pretty much lost our economy, forest industries and agriculture, over the last hundred years, and really don't have alot to replace it, except your basic burger-flippin type activities. It just kinda "slip slided away". Our challenge, as fellow hicks, I think, is to keep one eye on the future and try to avoid getting so set in our ways that we are unable to evolve our economy with often unfairly changing times. Have a good day everybody!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:32 AM

37,374 posts, read 61,226,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
... When sitting down at a table with them, ask them what they bring to the table to give up. They don't ever give anything up. It the Mainer who loses each and every time.

We attended an open house last year in Bangor, a couple senators were present, various state bureaucrats, etc. And a large crowd.

It was Mainers who were arguing, testifying, and presenting arguments against farming methods. Specifically crop-dusting over blueberries and woodlands. Herbicide use, pesticide use, and fertilizer use.

Maybe a tenth of the crowd was farmers or forestry, they took turns explaining what precautions they use, when they spray, the neighborhood notifications they hand-out to notify everyone living in the proximity to a spray area.

The majority of the crowd gave very emotional cries to stop all farming and forestry. They argued that much of their ailments stem from herbicides, pesticides, or fertilizers. They argued for the beaver, for the eagle, and for all wildlife and their collective rights to live happy and healthy lives.

It was a three day open-house, we only attended the first evening. The farmers and foresters were far out-numbered and out-gunned.

As far as I could tell everyone there were all Mainers.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:46 AM

581 posts, read 710,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
according to a story in the Bangor Daily News (online) today, the order was rescinded.

Is this just "round one?" or will this be revisited every time someone thinks they have seen a whale heading towards ME?
Is it time to mount a whale shooting expedition?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine