Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeneric13 View Post
I'm black, I don't go back a million generations though. Married to a white guy and we have a baby. There aren't that many of "us" but I have to say, I see black people everywhere in Portland. And at my mommy playgroup in South Portland, there seems to be a substantial amount of interracial families (white mom, darker baby). I think the farther away from the city center, the less black people (and the less people, overall).

I've never felt one single negative feeling towards me or my family. What's funny is that most Mainers will tell you that they didn't notice any black people here or there - but I do! They really don't even care enough to notice, kwim? Very easy going and laid back here, I promise!
You know what? I believe you. I've only read about once incident a mayor said about some somalians in his city, but to be honest I didn't find it offensive at all. He was discussing "cultural" differences.

Maine is a beautiful place. It's also the perfect location if I want to visit NY. It won't take forever. I recently moved back to NYC from living in California for several years. You don't realize how far away you are from "civilization" (LOL) until you want to visit home. I loved LA's laid back no judgment attitudes. I had to leave for financial reasons, but I don't want to make NYC my home again. I was over it when I left and I still am. Sometimes you just "outgrow" a place and their "out of touch" attitudes, if you know what I mean (which I think you do ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I have to add... My biggest adjustment wasn't about color shock, it was more about culture shock. Coming from big cities around the world, I was surprised just how rural Maine is, even in their big cities. I mean this very seriously. I was expecting Portland to be a small hub of sorts, but it's really really suburban and it drops out to straight up rural in just a few minutes drive. I don't believe there is one single nightclub in Portland. No where to go and dance. My brother came to visit and when his car turned into my driveway, people came out to see where all the music was coming from, hahaha.

It doesn't feel like the New England of CT or even MA. It feels more like the rural midwest. Tractors and pick up trucks and serious hunters and fishers... People who really love and live off the land. It's beautiful to watch but I'm still adjusting. Like, I only know 2 places that deliver food where I live and they both charge heavily for that experience. There is NO seamlessweb out here (gasp). And no one wears heels and designer bags to run errands, lol. People stop me and comment about how "cool" it is that I walk to the grocery store and always say something about my "fancy" stroller. I know it sounds silly, but really, that's been the "worst" of it.
Hmmm, even though I don't do the club scene anymore, I'm not sure if I want to live someplace "too country". I also don't have a car (you don't need one in NYC), so being near public transportation, a laundrymat and food shopping is very important. I know I can always order whatever I want from the internet, but I'll see. It won't be for another few months anyway.

Who do you guys use for internet service? This is more important to me than just about anything else right now.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
We had a woman from the Dominican and her Irish husband moved into town from NYC a few years back. They were doing "exploritories" in January and February before they moved. Snow all over and she comes strolling down the street in heels, 40 pounds of jewelry, and extremely colorful clothes; looked like God crapped a rainbow. Said they just wantedd to fit in (to our "quaint" little fishing/working town). Finally bought a diner downtownm and almost killed it in 2 years. Aleways in a rush, course, demeaning, and ate/drank all the profit and then some. Their fights made for great dinner theater in the main square though.

On topic though, 1,300 people and a few are black; but no one cares. They are friendly and we are freindly, we get along as should be. I realize not all towns or cities are like that but we are small & close knit, not huge and anonomous.

To the OP, make sure to come visit before moving. Maybe a few times to cover the seasons.
Oh, I will. I don't need to cover the "seasons" as I come from a winter town. My main concern will be seeing about getting employment and how public transportation works. I made the mistake of moving to a place that claimed their public transportation was excellent (Los Angeles) and...it wasn't. So, if I see that a car is something that I absolutely NEED to LIVE there, then this will be a determining factor for me until I can afford to get one.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 AM

177 posts, read 408,090 times
Lol@ god crapped a rainbow!!! Hahaha, too funny!

I just moved here from Brooklyn, so I can stotally identify with where you're coming from. We still don't own a car. We live 2.5 miles from DH's job, so he bikes in. On a bad day, he takes the bus. The bus is consistently 20 mins late, and it doesn't run often - but if you just use it to go to work and back, you can get around reliably enough. If you want to leave the Portland/South Portland area, it's tougher but you'll deal with it as it arises. I don't find it to be a big deal. A cab every now and then won't break your bank.

I live in a place where I can walk to the grocery stores, drug stores, libraries and parks within 10 mins flat. And it's a pretty walk, too. We can't justify the cost of car ownership right now with such a short commute and central location. And I'm glad that we don't have one. It snowed 3 days in a row last week and if we had a car, we would have really worked our butts off shoveling the entire driveway and not just our little walkway.

There is no dancing. But my 22 year old sister came to visit over Xmas and wandered around, went bar hopping and met some cool peeps her age. There are a few colleges scattered around the area and a fair amount of young people.

It's rural here, but you can carve a little life for yourself just fine. PM me if you have any questions. Good luck!!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:35 AM

Also, I use Time Warner Cable out here for internet. No problems yet.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Hmmm, even though I don't do the club scene anymore, I'm not sure if I want to live someplace "too country". I also don't have a car (you don't need one in NYC), so being near public transportation, a laundrymat and food shopping is very important. I know I can always order whatever I want from the internet, but I'll see. It won't be for another few months anyway.

Who do you guys use for internet service? This is more important to me than just about anything else right now.
If you don't have a car, your residence and employment options will be limited. Outside the limits of the major cities, public transportation is practically non-existent.

Internet:

DSL and cable are usually available, even in rural areas unless you are way off the beaten path...in which case there are Satellite and RF providers, but those can be more costly.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:46 PM

625 posts, read 791,631 times
Quote:
I have to add... My biggest adjustment wasn't about color shock, it was more about culture shock. Coming from big cities around the world, I was surprised just how rural Maine is, even in their big cities.
I agree. I lived right outside DC for quite a few years. MASSIVE difference. I have to say I like it here much better. I live WAY up by Calais myself.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,354 times
Having moved back to Maine from NY, I see more black folks, as well as other ethnicities, than ever before.

I think it is true that there is a cultural difference unrelated to ethnicity -- people are not in your face up here, not even a little. New Yorkers of all backgrounds are just more confrontational, louder, and more arrogant. They (we New Yorkers) want to make their presence felt. I tend to overdress, but I am okay with that.

I work with a lot of folks of various ethnic backgrounds here, and did in NY as well. People are generally accepted on the "functional" level, as in -- are you doing your job with no drama? We have quite a few girls in hijab in the place where I work, and all is well with them too, I just love my Somali sisters, really good ladies.

Sounds like you will fit in well here. The winters though with no car.....

Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
It's possible to live in Portland without a car, as long as you understand that you may occasionally need to use a cab or even rent a vehicle for some needs. My older daughter lives in Manhattan very happily without a car, but she has rented a car several times to transport things from Maine back to NYC. The Portland city bus system has expanded to some of the suburban towns, but it's not the "every 20 minutes" routine that major metropolitan residents expect. There is also commercial bus service up and down Route 1 and I-95, as well as passenger train service up to Brunswick. You just need to adjust your lifestyle and pace of living to different routine.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 PM

Totally agree. I haven't felt lost without a car. You can do it, just as long as you don't expect 24 hour service like back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine