Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,844 times

Advertisements

I am disabled, and would like to move to a very rural area of Maine. I am very self-sufficient, and only have trouble getting around at a fast pace...have about $800 a month. Can I realize my dream on this? I am a woman, but am used to "being alone in the woods". Was a housekeeper for many years- any help appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 08:17 PM

625 posts, read 792,954 times
Plenty of folks up here get by on less then that..

Old 12-26-2012, 08:24 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
I have a neighbor whose income is around $600/month. She owns her home, though she pays taxes [and many claim that taxes in Maine are high].

She takes courses at the University every semester, and is currently a grad student there.

She has a big garden every year, a roadside stand with veggies and a coffee can for donations. She has a strong belief in karma.

She seems to be doing pretty good [but like I said, she owns her property].

I have no idea if such a situation is possible for you [She hooks me up with a bunch of veggie plants every spring and I plow her driveway all winter].

I do see a lot of abandoned homes though.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:29 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,911,561 times
You can find a cheap rent in many rural parts of Maine for $400 a month plus heat (one bedroom). That wouldn't leave you a whole lot to live on so I suppose it depends on what your other expenses are.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:43 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,762,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriekim View Post
I am disabled, and would like to move to a very rural area of Maine. I am very self-sufficient, and only have trouble getting around at a fast pace...have about $800 a month. Can I realize my dream on this? I am a woman, but am used to "being alone in the woods". Was a housekeeper for many years- any help appreciated. Thanks!
You can, but it won't be easy. Even if you find cheap rent, not everything is cheap here. Even though you are disabled, is it possible to get a part time job? That would definitely help you.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,203,219 times
I'm sorry about your disability. I'm not sure the rural Maine is the place for you. You may be self suffiicient now enough to survive, but how about 10 years from now? Rural Maine means a long way from everything. Hospitals, WalMarts, pharmacies, etc can be a long way away. That means either you pay much more locally, or do without. Forget about public transportation, it isn't out there. Also, please be aware that Maine is a VERY poor state that LOVES to spend more than it takes in. It hates taxpaying businesses, so has few opportunities for it's young people... so is full of older people. Public assistance of any type will be the first to go when we follow the path that Greece has taken.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:24 PM

There are a number of towns in northern Maine with a bunch of stores, hospitals, pharmacies. Walmart is not my cup of tea, but they are here. Even most of the small towns have a pharmacy (Ashland, Mars Hill, Patten, Van Buren, Fort Fairfield, etc.). There is a regional public bus service which does cover the County, and they also provide drivers for individual appointments.
I just wanted to clarify a few things.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:54 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,203,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
There are a number of towns in northern Maine with a bunch of stores, hospitals, pharmacies. Walmart is not my cup of tea, but they are here. Even most of the small towns have a pharmacy (Ashland, Mars Hill, Patten, Van Buren, Fort Fairfield, etc.). There is a regional public bus service which does cover the County, and they also provide drivers for individual appointments.
I just wanted to clarify a few things.
I didn't consider Caribou a "very rural area of Maine." Perhaps Abbot, Coburn Gore, or Grand Lake Stream. I've lived in Caribou and loved it. Still, its public transportation is rudimentary... so I probably wouldn't advise it. But, if you want to experience the backwoods of Maine, and still have some services, Aroostook County would be a good choice. I'd stick to Houlton, Presque Isle and Caribou (I've lived in them all, and they are all nice). I really like Fort Kent, but I'm not sure what services there are there.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I didn't consider Caribou a "very rural area of Maine." Perhaps Abbot, Coburn Gore, or Grand Lake Stream. I've lived in Caribou and loved it. Still, its public transportation is rudimentary... so I probably wouldn't advise it. But, if you want to experience the backwoods of Maine, and still have some services, Aroostook County would be a good choice. I'd stick to Houlton, Presque Isle and Caribou (I've lived in them all, and they are all nice). I really like Fort Kent, but I'm not sure what services there are there.

I agree: to me "very rural" means Oxbow, Allagash, Jackman, etc.
Fort Kent does have the hospital, and quite a few services. The little towns around it (St. Francis, Soldier Pond, Frenchville, New Canada, Eagle Lake) are all very rural.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:24 PM

325 posts, read 706,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
FK is great, and the hospital is top-notch.No public transportation, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine